Camping or Defending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping or Defending?

Was playing a agame of Domination on Bog the other night and a fellow was complaining at the end of the round, that my team were camping. (wiznae me, I was sneaking about )

I said to him on an onjective type gametype, camping could be suggested as defending the objectives.

Think he was pissed as he may have been getting cut downa lot, simply running and gunning.

What do you fine gentlemen believe? (without trading abuse...plllease :laugh: )

On objective-gametypes (DOM, SAB, S&D, HQ) I don't view it as camping, but instead strategically either holding a position, or setting up an ambush. To hold a flag, it makes very little sense to be running around in the street, asking to be shot.

And even though some of us like to kid them a bit about kill-cam whining, snipers can't really be accused of camping either, as that's what snipers do - find a good position, and kill enemies from there. The only thing is that in the real world, snipers rarely stay in exactly the same position for more than a couple shots, so their position isn't given away. Although COD4 isn't totally realistic, I think this can apply to FPS games in general as well...kill a few people, find a new spot, preferably overlooking the old spot so you can kill anyone who comes for you (where you used to be). A good sniper will have several spots on each map that he'll move to in-between kills, in order to stay safe, and set up the next kill.

The only time I really get annoyed with camping is on TDM or FFA when there aren't very many people on the server, especially on big maps. Even though everyone is technically free to play as they wish, many of them don't have the courtesy to realize that their fun depends on other people moving around, so as to cross into their sights. A lot of these campers then type in chat "I'm bored" or "Come on out, cowards" when other people get fed up and buckle down in their own little hole. There was a guy in our group who used to do that in MOHSH, CODUO and COD2, even on big maps when there was only 5 or 6 of us on the server. It annoyed people enough that they'd leave him all alone on the server...only then did he start to take the hint and stop doing it so much when there weren't a lot of people online.

Comment

i think camping is a person just sitting somewhere just trying to kill people where defending is working with your team to hold an objective.

Comment

I always attack. The best defensife is a good offensise.

Comment

I am mostly a sniper, so.. I do both.

Defend a point while everyone is attacking, or give covering fire while they are attacking.

Comment

people camp i cod4?Weird

I never see any tents?

Comment

Yeah, but tents are native to CS:S. We COD4 fans prefer Airstrikes and Heli-AIMBot strikes. No matter how much we detest them.

Comment

Originally posted by [WS]Aur0ra145
                Yeah, but tents are native to CS:S. We COD4 fans prefer Airstrikes and Heli-AIMBot strikes. No matter how much we detest them.
                And we do detest them (well, not airstrikes so much, but helis... jesus, how did those things even make it into the game)

On Topic:

I get called a camper all the time, if I kill more than one person from the same spot on the map. What I don't get is, if they know where I am, outflank and knife me

Comment

personally i think your poll is the equivalent to yes and yes, defending is the same as camping but with a purpose, both as effective as each other.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                    personally i think your poll is the equivalent to yes and yes, defending is the same as camping but with a purpose, both as effective as each other.
                    Spot on wise old sage

Just looking to see strength of opinion

Think some online players find it hard to see the difference and hence taking tactically strong defensive positioning, gets you subjected to'your a camper' cos your not running about like a headless chicken or 'quakin' it up and making me get killed hahah :evil:

Comment

Lol at 100% defence.

Comment

its not called CAMPING its called tactical defence

Comment

Camp + c4 = FUNZOR!

Comment

In modes where there is an item to defend, I think its fine. If you dont defend you are exposed.

In TDM, its just camping and you should be in groups and covering each other.

Ive been on a few servers where they never go for the bomb/defense area and everyone surges forward and attacks. Very strange, but effective.

Crunch
                            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Off Topic: I was always a fan of the "anti-camper" measures in UT2K4. If you stayed in one area too long, the game showed you on the map to everyone else (except you!)

On Topic: 100% legit tactic. I don't even get annoyed when people do it in small TDM/FFA games because I'm free to do it also. And if you know the good camping spots on each map, you can just make your rounds hunting them down. More then once I've tossed a blind grenade in a favorite camping spot to get a "WTF!?! How did you know I was there?"

Really, the best use of the tactic is to play like a sniper even if you don't have a sniper rifle. Every couple kills, move to a new spot that over looks the old one.

Comment

Working...
                              X