Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB, a heads up

Originally posted by 0wn4g3
    What I don't understand is why, PnkBstrA.exe continues to run after BF2.exe is closed.
    Yeah, I don't like (or understand) that either.

Comment

Did you try the EA Games folder?

Comment

Originally posted by grassonwater View Post
        i dont see electronic arts on program files... does anyone know why it isnt there?
        The folder is calles EA GAMES for me.

Comment

Originally posted by AKULA View Post
          OK FULL ON IDIOT PROOF WAY OF ALLOWING THOSE PESKY FILES TO RUN IN WINDOWS FIREWALL WHILE PLAYING B2 AND YOU DON'T GET KICKED.

*******YOU HAVE TO DO THIS EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE FIREWALL TURNED OFF OR DISABLED********

AFTER DOING WHAT STORMY {CAN} SAID

1. Start > settings > Control Panel > Network Connections

2. Right Click on YOUR network connection (this you will have to figure out for yourself) Left Click on Properties

3. Click on the "Advanced" Tab and then Settings.

4. Click on the "Exceptions" Tab and then "Add Program"

5. Don't bother going through the list of programs in the window. IT'S NOT THERE!!! Click on "Browse and go to C:\WINDOWS\system32

6. Add both PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe to the list

You're DONE!!!!

Too bad it didn't work.

Comment

there isnt a folder called electronic arts or EA games for me :hmm:

Comment

Originally posted by grassonwater View Post
              there isnt a folder called electronic arts or EA games for me :hmm:

Got to shortcut or however you open BF2, leftclick, right click properties, click find target, now you know where the .exe is located... The rest you'll have to use your brain for.

Originally posted by ulm4lyf View Post
              Too bad it didn't work.

Well, it worked for me HOWEVER, I do get a huge pause and allot of lag at the beginning of the game... After thet though it looks like the connection settles in and I can play as long as I want.... Anyone know why this happens? I've done just about everything in this thread.... Weird!!!

Comment

I've followed all the steps in the above posts to uninstall and reinstall punkbuster but PnkBstrB.exe does NOT show up anywhere on my system???
                I didn't do the firewall exception because I don't have a firewall up and I'm not behind a router either (I just use spybot and cCleaner and other anti-virus stuff). That seems to be the only difference I see.

I'm on Windows XP and I can't seem to figure out why PnkBstrB.exe is not on my system anywhere after I downloaded the PBsetup utility and followed the instructions. I get kicked out of servers for a "timed out" error. It says that the server was unable to communicate with punkbuster (which makes sense if PnkBstrB.exe isn't installed).

Any advice or suggestions short of re-installing:dead: the whole shebang?

Comment

Yeah I too have tried everything on this thread short of un-installing BF2 and BF2 no longer will let me connect to servers and/or PB servers.

It's a shame really, I loved BF2, but this is simply too much for me to bother with. Quake Wars Enemy Territory ships next month and I'll never play the BF series again. I've been a loyal BF series player since 1942 but this is the straw that broke the camels back.

I simply should not have to troubleshoot my own computer, edit my registry to use an anti-cheat service that is forced upon me.

CYA, I'll miss you guys.

Comment

Bah,

Roll with it dude. I get a little lag when I first start playing the game and then I can play for as long as I want... It SHOULDN'T be this way, but it is what it is. And yes I did everything on this thread AND reinstalled B2. It's the nature of the beast now and I guess this is how it will be until PB comes out with a fix which will probably be in the next year or so.

Comment

COME on people!! Instead of trying to fix and get around the problem on your computers you need to be raising hell with Punkbuster!! Its their damn fault this is happening just to catch a few hackers... Good server admins can catch em so no need to screw everyone to get to a few.

I suggest everyone submit a ticket on this issue and perhaps they will fix it soon so we can stop seeing threads made of it.

Comment

LOL I go to submit a ticket to Punkbuster and get a Secruity Certifcate Error through the link! How ironic.

Comment

Just getting back into BF2, and recently ran into this issue during the installation and my Zone Alarm Suite setup.

According to Punkbuster they have had to redesign their anti-cheat program in order to make it compatible for Windows Vista. This has resulted in the external execution of these two processes.

Only PnkBstrA.exe runs initially, and if you take a look (before running BF2) it doesn't use much memory. Upon launching BF2 (joining an online match) PnkBstrB.exe process is also then launched. At this point these processes use much more memory.

As BF2 is only one of several games I enjoy, I have setup these processes to run "Manual" so that they are only allowed to load when playing BF2.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see any significant concerns here.

Regards,
                          TS!

Comment

Has anyone encountered the "handshake" problem again in the last day or so?

I fixed the problem - thanks to this thread - a couple of weeks ago and everything has been fine. I go to join a server yesterday and get the handshake message. It took me almost 2 hours to fix the problem and I think I went through every suggested fix that has been offered. I played about 3 hours last night w/o any problems.

I go to join a server this morning and I get the handshake problem again.

What's going on?

Comment

Now, every time I startup BF2, the first server I try to connect to gives me a YOUR CONNECTION TO THE SERVER HAS BEEN LOST error. Then after that, I can successfully join any server I want.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by 0wn4g3 View Post
                                Now, every time I startup BF2, the first server I try to connect to gives me a YOUR CONNECTION TO THE SERVER HAS BEEN LOST error. Then after that, I can successfully join any server I want.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
                                Yeah, that means it's working. It's when it goes straight into loading the map that I get kicked for "handshaking".

4 hours later: decided to do an reinstall and everything works great now. I guess that's the only solution in extreme cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X