Why is Karkand so popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Karkand so popular?

This is one of my least favorite maps, and yet everyone seems to like it and half of the servers at any given time have this map on. I mean what is it so special about this map that the rest of the maps don't have? Is it the city fighting? There are other maps in cities too, Sharki, Mashtuur, Ghost Town, Warlord...
    What is it about this map???

Re: Why is Karkand so popular?

Lord! I know, Karkand was fun for several months, but it really got old with it's monotone color and meatgrinder start. I too wonder why people can't realize the value of all the other maps out there. Besides, I think it makes you a much better play when you can adapt well to other environments. Screw all that dust! Take me to Sharqi! Nice sun, a beach, clear skys....what fun!

Comment

because fights are closer= get more points in a short time

no air power whoring= better for most of the people( except on INF off u got apc's and tanks lol) I personally love to whore the chopper or the jet, so that's why I am playing Sharqi and Wake Island.

good place to get badges and ribbons.( e.g.: knife badges)

Comment

But I have to argue that "more" points...well then again, maybe that is true because of the proxymity of being able to get made heal/supply points. But There are so many other places you can do the same thing. I guess because it is such a night map (narrow in terms) that it keeps all the action close by, as opposed to something like Sharqi or Surge where fights can be happen on opposite sides of the map and you would never know.

Comment

It's my favorite map because I can lay on a roof for practically the entire game, and get loads of kills

it's always a stalemate at the hotel anyways (IO).

Comment

Karkand is popular because it's popular.

People are sheep and they migrate with the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka View Post
              Karkand is popular because it's popular.

People are sheep and they migrate with the herd.
              Man, you just made me hungry for some lambchops... Time to head over to the store.

Comment

The only reason I like it is because the combat zone is shaped like a croissant.

But really people care about points, points are on karkand, .: people like karkand. Transitive property .

Comment

Proximity to action.

To expound on this, Strike at Karkand offers, well to be more correct, ensures, that you will always be in close contact with an enemy or at least far enough that an ambush is just a respawn away. It also give people a chance to engage in Close-Quarter-Combat which is proven by other PC FPS' that they are most popular, look at Unreal Tournament, CS: S, Quake, Enemy Territory, all engage in CQC .

With most other maps some other form of superior combat exists, such as tanks, Helos and jets, which for the most part, can not be killed by the average soldier(average, meaning most used infantry kit statistically, please don't debate me on this particular issue) therefor the common lowest denominator succeeds; The grunt soldier with an assault rifle.

Comment

I like it because I used to play Delta Force: BHD and Karkand offers similar Urban combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_Diplomat View Post
                      Proximity to action.
                      Ghost Town does a vastly better job of this, without the grenade and claymore spam.

In fact the 16 player maps of Mashtuur City and 16 player map of Jalalabad do as well.

It's just that these stages have more open corridors, which means less claymore and grenade spam.

To expound on this, Strike at Karkand offers, well to be more correct, ensures, that you will always be in close contact with an enemy or at least far enough that an ambush is just a respawn away.
                      Not true, going across the bridge is a grueling endeavor, and most matches turn into a lame sniper fest on each side due to it's linearity and a lack of strategic entrance points. There is no ambushes, or close contact gunfights then. It often turns out as bad as the 64/32 player map Jalalabad's sniper fest, but is vastly harder to get around thanks to the damned linear plankways and all the water.

It also give people a chance to engage in Close-Quarter-Combat which is proven by other PC FPS' that they are most popular, look at Unreal Tournament, CS: S, Quake, Enemy Territory, all engage in CQC.
                      If you consider CQC to be grenade spam, then yes. Karkand does this well. The only actual gunfights that I've actually enjoyed on this map are between the Train Accident and the Hotel, where there is more open field and less meat-grinding spots perfect for grenades.

It's a pretty poorly designed stage on all three versions of the map.

With most other maps some other form of superior combat exists, such as tanks, Helos and jets, which for the most part, can not be killed by the average soldier(average, meaning most used infantry kit statistically, please don't debate me on this particular issue) therefor the common lowest denominator succeeds; The grunt soldier with an assault rifle.
                      Karkand is a Tank whore's paradise. Your point is null and void.

One of the reasons it became so popular in the first place, was because it was indeed, a Tank Whore's paradise.

Comment

karkand is basically point land, and easy to spam nades etc

Comment

Cus its pretty at evening .... so many clubs and nice biches and so much young life goes t night =) its just a pearl, a little dirty pearl but its naaajs

but at day its a different story...i rather not talk about that

GOO KARKIE!

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka View Post
                            Ghost Town does a vastly better job of this, without the grenade and claymore spam.

In fact the 16 player maps of Mashtuur City and 16 player map of Jalalabad do as well.

It's just that these stages have more open corridors, which means less claymore and grenade spam.

Not true, going across the bridge is a grueling endeavor, and most matches turn into a lame sniper fest on each side due to it's linearity and a lack of strategic entrance points. There is no ambushes, or close contact gunfights then. It often turns out as bad as the 64/32 player map Jalalabad's sniper fest, but is vastly harder to get around thanks to the damned linear plankways and all the water.

If you consider CQC to be grenade spam, then yes. Karkand does this well. The only actual gunfights that I've actually enjoyed on this map are between the Train Accident and the Hotel, where there is more open field and less meat-grinding spots perfect for grenades.

It's a pretty poorly designed stage on all three versions of the map.

Karkand is a Tank whore's paradise. Your point is null and void.

One of the reasons it became so popular in the first place, was because it was indeed, a Tank Whore's paradise.
                            Hence why I don't play on 64 size maps. 32 ftw.

Comment

Whoops.. not karkand, not now anyways!

Ahhh, here we go!

"Sheep" like a straight-forward nade fest. When they go baaaaaaaaaah! It's sheep for don't cap the back flags and win you noobs!

Comment

Working...
                              X