My College Essay on Battlefield 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My College Essay on Battlefield 2

i wrote a paper about bf2 in my sophomore (highschool) english class once. it was pretty good the topic was something about "being stabbed in the back by a close freind" i wrote about getting tk'ed. i got an A on it.

Comment

Hello, I am the essay. Thanks for all the comments. You guys are right about having a thesis and summing it up in the conclusion, I should've caught that. This is the standard level 1000 english class at my college. The paragraph format is the teacher's format: intro(attention grabber), thesis, background info, body, conclusion, 2-3 page limit. Also the advice to reference better is good, thanks. I also posted this on planet battlefield and no one liked it because I cited this site instead of theirs at the bottom. Thanks for reading and commenting, please keep telling me what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by redeyez View Post
        The American War Machine thunders northeast across the dry, hard desert to take the city of Jalalabad, Afghanistan.
        Umm Jalalabad is a city in Pakistan. Don't expect an A for lack of research

Comment

i thought it was in Afghan tbh...

maybe map changed while I am reading this.

Comment

Very well written

Comment

Drills: Drills are the best way to increase skill. Make your own. There are 2 rules of drills. 1:They must be able to be repeated very frequently, without breaks between each repetition. 2: Simplify a process into a step which can be repeated at a 100% success rate, then add another step and repeat until a 100% success rate is achieved, and so on. For example, if you’d like to create a drill to target enemies, change positions (to avoid fire), and fire accurately at the same time: 1. Change fluidly between standing, crouched, and prone. 2. Do step one while keeping the crosshairs perfectly placed on a mark on the wall, pretending it’s the enemy’s head 3. Do the previous steps while firing as fast as you can while maintaining accuracy, also adjusting to recoil 4. Look around and choose a random spot/object to simulate spotting an enemy, then do the previous steps. 5. Combine the previous steps and sprinting to relocate (as if to avoid an opponent’s incoming fire).
              Drilling is impossible in BF2. I did this for Counterstrike and it worked, because the gun patterns were consistent - just like your personal weapon, you get to know it after awhile.

In BF2, all practice goes out the window in a real game, all you do is roll the dice.

Comment

guided laser does not, the tank shots does not, prone sniper do not... a lot of stuff does not go out the window...

Comment

Originally posted by Stilla-Killa View Post
                  Wow and this from a guy that visits a video game forum and probably plays video games. Maybe you should listen to yoiur own advice.

I bet you are a hit with the women also from looking at the time you spent playing BF2. Over 1500 hours huh.
                  Don't really know which soft-spot you're trying to hit bud.

Yes, I play video games. Yes, I frequent the TBF2 forums...I don't have a lot of posts. Im not the one that just posted my essay about a video game for a college...So what part of my own advice do I need to follow?

I work 3 jobs and go to school. So if Im not working, schoolin', or hittin' the trails in my Jeep...I play BF2. And when you're playing BF2, flying around in the Cobra, thinkin' about how you just pwnt someone in a tank; Im out there doin' it for real. Minus the tank pwnage.

Comment

Originally posted by Stilla-Killa View Post
                    Wow and this from a guy that visits a video game forum and probably plays video games. Maybe you should listen to yoiur own advice.

I bet you are a hit with the women also from looking at the time you spent playing BF2. Over 1500 hours huh.

Considering I am married, I dont need to be a hit with the ladies lol, but as soon as I wrote that I knew someone would point to my time ingame. Funny how people react to good natured ribbin

Comment

Originally posted by margav View Post
                      i thought it was in Afghan tbh...

maybe map changed while I am reading this.
                      wtf, I coulda swore it was in Pakistan, my bad, I feel like a doofus. Expect an A

Comment

Originally posted by Rock_FU View Post
                        you wrote a college essay on your experiences in a video game...

bet your a hit with the women

It was well written though!
                        You can say alot, your a 3 star...

Comment

For this semester alone...

My term paper was a minimum of 40 pages long. The professor encouraged us to do far more than that, as it was a requirement for us to write as if we were writing a true fiction or non-fiction novel. 40 pages alone wasn't enough for me. Using size 12 Times New Roman font, I had printed 61 pages, not including my cover sheet, table of contents, author's notes, final thoughts...etc...

Each of the 12 short-stories we were required to write was a minimum of 8 pages long.

Each of the 14 in class creative-writing essays we were required to write was a minimum of 3 pages long.

Each Test Essay (Tests numbered in the dozens. Essay questions numbered in the dozens per test. Each test took a minimum of 3 hours.) was a minimum of 10 paragraphs long.

Each short answer question (A countless ammount) was a minimum of 4 paragraphs long.

Either I have a professor that is exceptionally hard on his students, or redeyez meant to say that he was doing an English as a Second Language or Grade 12 English Essay.

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for reading and posting comments. To the previous poster: what class are you taking? I have to admit your class makes mine look like preschool. But I bet you'll improve at writing more, since all the students have to write so much.

Also to the poster who talks about drills, I believe they help. Of course a newbie without the knowledge or ability to go smoothly to his knees or prone when receiving fire when liable to could benefit from a drill, no?

And even the experienced player who looks for something in his game that has room for improvement can find something, can't he? For example if you'd like to get more accurate with a sniper rifle, you can practice tracking the movements of teammates, working on your crosshair placement. If you pop up and an enemy sniper pegs you, you could practice (in a safe area) popping up and pegging a mark on the wall. If you keep getting killed 2 seconds after you respawn you can practice whipping your view around to scan ultra quick. If grenades are killing you more than you'd like, you can practice whipping yourself around and sprinting.

Basically if you don't do everything correctly 100% of the time, couldn't you find something to drill at and repeat with far greater frequency, as a simulation of the real thing in a safe area, than the real thing? Also the more you make drills work, the more the downtime you save from not dying as a result of the drills exceeds the amount of time you spend drilling.

Comment

Originally posted by 12:oc7ock
                              wtf, I coulda swore it was in Pakistan, my bad, I feel like a doofus. Expect an A
                              Got any more snippets of wisdom for us all?

Dairuka: Quality > Quantity.

Not saying anything about you, just that you can't guage skill on quantity most of the time. Unless you were counting how many monkeys at a typewriter could... ah, never mind.

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for reading and posting comments. To the previous poster: what class are you taking? I have to admit your class makes mine look like preschool. But I bet you'll improve at writing more, since all the students have to write so much.
                                Currently I'm finishing up my Bachelor of Arts (Major for me) at Simon Fraser University. I spent the last year and a half dealing with a truck load of entry 100-level English courses.

The class that I'm talking about is this semester's course. English 371, also called "Writing: Theory and Practice". I'm also taking a 400-level English course to meet my B.A. requirements, but thats not as difficult by far.

It's essentially the final class before I can lose the undergraduate status (And get my B.A.) that looms over my head forever. Once it's gone, I can work towards an M.A. (I could've gotten rid of it last year, but I had to extend my 'first year' by missing two courses due to work related issues. Luckily my counsellor struck me a deal so I didn't have to miss my second year.)

This is by far the hardest class I've ever taken; but considering the four graduates 100-level courses I'll be forced to take next semester... Well, this is essentially a cakewalk in comparison... I'm dreading September, because I know it'll be hell for me from then on.

After I get my M.A. I'll probably start writing, while taking a side-course for a M.A. in Education for English as well. At least this way if writing doesn't work out, I can fall back on a nice cushy teaching job.

Originally posted by camperstrike
                                Dairuka: Quality > Quantity.
                                Quality and Quantity are both requirements to get a decent grade. The people who do the minimum requirements are the ones who barely etch out a 3.0 Grade Point Average.

Comment

Working...
                                X