Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wannable Sniper Needs Help

Hey everyone.

I've been playing Battlefield 2 off and on for a while now. I'm pretty good with capturing flags, anti-tank, and flying jets. However, I've been trying to get into sniping, but have had little luck, even after reading some sniper guides here.

I've been using the sniper rifle that can shoot through armor and aircraft windshields (best one I have until I can get an upgrade). I've been trying to snipe on Gulf of Oman servers with over 32 players. My main problem is I can never get to a good sniping spot because I always get killed before I can reach it. Whether it be an artillery strike, a bombing, a helicopter, or a tank running astray from the battlefield, everyone is out to get me. When I am finally able to reach a spot, I find it's too late.

I know practice makes perfect. You can't become a good sniper overnight. What are some good maps for practicing sniping skills? Are there any servers in particular where a newbie like me might get a bit of a break?

By the way, this is a great forum. Lots of information here!

Re: Wannable Sniper Needs Help

Well city maps povide alot of easy sniper targets. This could give you some practice atleast on leading and calculating drop. Have fun!

Comment

Wake is excellent for sniping. When finding a spot with the M95, don't go too far from the enemies, the M95 loses its power at long range but it is a very good mid to short range weapon. Any more than 200 metres from your scope and you won't be able to hit them.

Also, make sure you have lots of cover when in a spot and don't go too close.

Comment

hm. well just to let u kno, cant upgrade ur sniper rifle to the l96a1 unless u have special forces

and sniping long range moving targets isnt easy since u have to lead ur targets a tiny bit. so how much u lead will take some practice

and like spookius said, id recommend sharqi penninsula. that map has loads of snipers. karkand is nice, but only when ur sniping at the train wreck

and also, remmber that there is bullet drop (this isnt cs sniping) and remember that u have to keep changing locations becuz ppl will find u and respawn and come knife u. dont hide behind the tiny shrubbery stuff becuz notice how they "disappear" as u get farther away from it? and also rmeember when ur firing, hold down ur mouse button. it keeps u zoomed in and u can tell whether or not u hit ur target with the little crosshairs in crosshairs

also, be patient. shoot at wat u kno u can hit, ive gone through rounds as sniper with only like 3 kills and 0 deaths

Comment

If you like to snipe then play IO servers and stick with Karkand and Jala

Comment

WARNING: This post is long.

What I like to do is go into any city map, join a squad, and be the squad's designated marksman. Any flag your squad advances on to capture, get to a good vantage point where you can see the entrances/exits to the flag area, and shoot/spot any enemy that happens to cross. As a sniper, your job is to deal with threats from a safe distance while not drawing attention to yourself (lone wolf), or to stick with your squad to take out medium-long range targets/give intelligence in the form of spotting what lies ahead. Practice setting up in an inconspicuous spot overlooking an enemy flag/high traffic area and picking people off. Look out for snipers, though. Go into the maps in a local server and climb every ladder try to get on every rooftop, learn where blind spots are with certain "hidey holes", learn where you can go to not be noticed. Also, if there is an abandoned enemy flag behind the front line defense (such as the square at karkand if you're USMC), get on a building near that flag and rain hell on the enemy. The last place enemies are going to be looking for snipers is behind them.

Another thing you mention is moving around to different locations as a lone wolf. I used to be really bad at avoiding jets/heli/arty/armor/roadblocks/DEATH until I realized that most people are looking for people like lone wolfs that can scatter around the map to different flags randomly and seriously break up a good enemy defense by diverting lots of their troops. First, get very familiar with the buggies (FAV and DPV). Know how tight you can turn, how wide the vehicle is (for spotting narrow alleys or openings you can dart through to lose enemy armor), and how much damage the vehicle can take before it is basically useless (on the verge of igniting). Stay away from roads. I'll say it twice, stay away from roads. Armor and apcs travel down roads, jets and choppers look at roads for vehicles. Also, don't stay near your team. Your team will likely engage any enemy, thus drawing attention to yourself. As a sniper, you have no armor and a slow firing rifle. Try to spawn at friendly bases away from the action where a buggy will be waiting for you. Periodically park your buggy in a hidden place and get on a rooftop where you can scout for groups of enemies or armor. The commander will usually not provide you with a uav, and if some crazy just spawned in waiting for his armor, he won't be too happy if some sniper is flying around the corner in his buggy. Chances are that tank is going to spawn very soon and that guy will hunt you down. If you do happen to run across an enemy tank or apc, for the love of God, do not drive away in a straight line. Zigzag in an unpredictable manner, weave around objects, maybe do a doughnut or circle the tank and take off in a random direction. Whatever you do, don't be predictable. Stay out of the tank's sights or you will soon be toast. If your route gets "made" (in other words, if someone else sees you travel the same path more than once and knows you will reliably travel that path next time you die), be ready to find another way, as there will probably be a trap waiting for you.

Dang, I didn't realize this was so long. Basically, be smart. Think a few steps in advance and predict where the enemy and friendlies are going to be, so you can stay away from them, or if you like, engage them from a safe distance and angle.

EDIT: Deleted the red mine indicator section. I forgot it doesn't show up for enemy mines.

Comment

Good post R.M.S.1.3 which should help out the OP

Originally posted by R.M.S.1.3
              ... Periodically park your buggy in a hidden place and get on a rooftop where you can scout for groups of enemies or armor ...
              You might wanna throw a handgrenade under the DPV/FAV. An empty vehicle will pop-up on the Grid/Radar. Especially when it is in an odd place you will draw attention, I always investigate when I see one. Most experienced snipers do to, because they know the sniping spots too

Comment

To practice accuracy, play karkand or jala, this allows for quick sniping action.

However, for a good sniping experience, try:

Daqing = very dark and a lot of sniping spots
                Fushe = not a huge amount of infantry activity, but some great spots

and my 2 favorites

Wake = good spots and good practice for long range shots
                Kubra = a lot of intricate places to hide and some very good spots for long range shots.

*NEVER
                go on the cranes in gulf of oman, or the hotel (hint, easy sniper kills)

Comment

actually the cranes arent the worst spots. u hve protection from below , and i rarely see snipers up there anymore so i stop looking up there. i remember in PR their last guy was up in a crane and we were all around shooting at him, and he was in a spot so that the crane was protecting him from below. he ended up just suiciding tho to make the game faster

Comment

Well, if you are going to go on a crane, go in a safe spot, don't stick your gun out of the side of it.

Comment

sniping takes practice, i used to just practice in single player, until I got good enough, now i snipe all the time with my L961 you have to have patience, and a steady hand to snipe, hell i just sit on the square roof top and wait even if it takes 20 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by ChiBoy
                        Wake is excellent for sniping. When finding a spot with the M95, don't go too far from the enemies, the M95 loses its power at long range but it is a very good mid to short range weapon. Any more than 200 metres from your scope and you won't be able to hit them.
                        Bull, I can hit targets easily from about 350-400 with the M95 (on an appropriate map). It comes down to how comfortable you are with the dynamics of the rifle you use, such as I have a better success rate with the M95 over any other rifle because I use it more. Also the M95 doesn't lose any power over range it's just a matter of if you can hit your target, it will do the same damage no matter if your shooting across the map or your right in front of the guy it's also a better rifle all around because if you don't get a kill shot you will get the assist (most of the times). As for finding a spot, take the way no one takes may take longer to get there but you won't get killed in most cases. Practice on a map such as Daging Oilfields or Dalian (the best maps for ranged shots), Gulf of Oman is a pretty awful map because even at the 64 size it's hard to get from point A to point B without being seen or someone knowing your headed there.

Proof that it's you that can't shoot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab45iOl_Kgc

Comment

You need to press "F" when you spawn to take the dayglow orange jacket off
                          Honestly mate, most players know all the hiding places that snipers use these days, so be a bit creative when selecting a spot. Also, try not to be "in the open" when moving to your chosen place of snipedom, think sneaky beaky.

Comment

^^

and when moving to your spot, use your pistol or knife in hand, but i prefer pistol. This allows for there to be less of you to spot, and yet you still have something to defend yourself with.

Comment

WHOA @ the times this thread been viewed LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X