I/O is great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I/O is great

I'm sorry I have to post this but I've seen a lot of ragging of I/O going on in these forums... it's time to let all the I/O lovers get their shout out...

Why do I like I/O?

- Gameplay is more tactical. You have to rely on your squadmates more for success, and less on one or two tanks duking it out.

- Your death has more to do with your actions than just being unlucky. If you are getting killed in I/O you can move to a different place... but sometimes death just seems to follow you in a normal map (Arty, Air, etc.)

- Arty is gone. Arty itself was a great concept, but since Dice never really implemented it well, taking it out in I/O just made things better.

- It's a different game. Playing in vehicles can be fun. Playing without vehicles can be fun. Now we at least have a choice.

I haven't been in a 'normal' server in months... and I really haven't missed it.

Ready for the flame war- gentlemen, start your flames!!!!!!!

Re: I/O is great

im not going to flame ya, but i feel like i need to put some stuff out there.

-Gameplay can be tactical anywhere, its all about the server. and no, you dont HAVE to rely on squadmates. again...all about the server.

-i really dont understand what you are saying in your second point, jets killing you wherever you go?

-Arty...great tool when used properly. i dont mind getting killed by arty unless im the only one in the area

-it is different, and before you did have a choice. dont say "well tanks are still going to be there to kill me"....stay off roads. vehicles also make spec ops and AT useful kits.

-i just find it slow. if i want to sneak to the enemy's back base, i have to walk/run. i would much rather take a humvee and risk running across a tank than take 2 or 3 times as long on foot.

Comment

IO takes a good share of the noobs and stats padders away from the good servers. That's the only reason why I like IO.

Comment

lol. Due to the vast amount of attention this subject has already gotten, and in the interest of letting it DIE I'll simply say this.

I really don't like that mode.

Thank you.

Comment

I always love a few good rounds of IO play. For once you don't have to worry about some T-90 blowing you away. It's also convienent when I don't feel like busting my joystick out for some vehicle map action.

I play both IO and 'normal' maps. For the record.

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
            IO takes a good share of the noobs and stats padders away from the good servers. That's the only reason why I like IO.
            Very true...long live IO...

Comment

Originally posted by etf-danno
              I'm sorry I have to post this but I've seen a lot of ragging of I/O going on in these forums... it's time to let all the I/O lovers get their shout out...

Why do I like I/O?

- Gameplay is more tactical. You have to rely on your squadmates more for success, and less on one or two tanks duking it out.
              success never depends on two tanks duking it out......if it did, then the AT, engineer, and Spec Ops class is there to take them out....no matter what server, or gamemode you play, squad work is equally as vital...personally, i find less squad work on IO servers....in IO servers, ppl mostly discard any attempt towards teamwork to greedily and selfishly whore points

- Your death has more to do with your actions than just being unlucky. If you are getting killed in I/O you can move to a different place... but sometimes death just seems to follow you in a normal map (Arty, Air, etc.)
              there are ways to protect yourself, u hafta kinda use tact when travelling from point A to point B, more thought, more challenge, unlike the simplified IO no threats to look out for, take out, or avoid......just a big long cake-walk

- Arty is gone. Arty itself was a great concept, but since Dice never really implemented it well, taking it out in I/O just made things better.
              ya i agree that without armor, arty isnt needed....as arty is usually used when all the armor travels together as engineer and prooves nearly impossible to take out otherwise...

- It's a different game. Playing in vehicles can be fun. Playing without vehicles can be fun. Now we at least have a choice.
              i think IO should be unranked, that way there, i have more choice when i search for a server.....IO is ruining my server browser

I haven't been in a 'normal' server in months... and I really haven't missed it.

Ready for the flame war- gentlemen, start your flames!!!!!!!
              fair nuff...but IO (imo) blows donkey anus real hard....'normal' servers are where the real gameplay is at......if u want the watered down, noob friendly IO 'practice mode' then go on ahead.....but im telling u, it doesnt compare to the 'normal mode', or 'real mode' as i like to call it

ok, one more thing......KARKAND/JALALALALAALALABAD IO sucks real bad, and those are just about the only two maps u find on IO.....aside from one or two servers that might also have sharqi and mashtur

'book em danno'

sorry, jus hadta

Comment

Running together in a big group isn't team work to me. There is no vital flags to hold in IO. And they are easily taken by just running in a big group and throwing nades.

Your death has more to do with your actions than just being unlucky. If you are getting killed in I/O you can move to a different place... but sometimes death just seems to follow you in a normal map (Arty, Air, etc.)
                I disagree. Spawning into a nade spam is just as the same as being artied.

Arty is gone. Arty itself was a great concept, but since Dice never really implemented it well, taking it out in I/O just made things better.
                Agreed. Arty kills gameplay. Perhaps if the respawn time was longer, I wouldnt despise it.

Comment

I play Infantry Only sometimes.

Does that make me a newbie in your eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka

no,but obviously u care about your 1337 stats,that are displayed in your sig,

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka

Ditto.

IO is fun on occassion. I find less teamwork. It's all just medics, snipers, and support running around reviving each other, spamming clays, and tossing grenades and ammo packs.

If you call that teamwork, then you have got it all wrong. I once spent about 5 minutes straight reviving people. At one point, people were just rounding a corner getting blasted by two SAWs. I could revive them around the corner, and they'd jump up and run for cover. Then some other idiot would do the same thing. I think I got about 18 revives in that spot.

Then again, some maps with jets/helos can just be death traps if the team is stupid and/or gets dominated in the air. This is also nice when you join to find one flag left, and your team has no air support.

I really only play on a couple of servers, and I pick which ever one is more populated. If both are, then I decide if I want to dodge greanades a whole round or dodge jets and helos. Arty is only a problem if you are lame.

:edit: I will try to avoid Karkand and Jalalabad in both modes. Jalalabad is just horrible on IO.

Comment

Played IO tonight for a few hours.

Got old real fast.

As much as I and most everyone else doesn't like the air imbalances in BF2, they're not bad enough to neuter the game the way IO did.

It wasn't a very well though out thing. The maps don't lend themselves to the type of play and really, neither does the BF2 engine itself.

In a few rounds playing as a squad we went from the bottom 1/4 in scoring to the top 1/4. After the initial culture shock, the squad of regulars I play with figured things out and were quite effective. This was in a hardcore (or so I'm told) 24/7 RTJ IO server.

When a good VBF2 squad that is used to securing vehicles, planning out a route, deciding to defend or cap spawns, looking out for jets and choppers, repairing equipment and the thousands of other things that can come up in VBF2 play, it's an easy adjustment to worry about 3 things. Who's the medic, who's got supplies and who's sniping.

We were instrumental in taking Lake2 times . We'd never done it before in our lives, the commander pointed us there and in a hail of nades and paddle shocks we took it when none of the other regulars in the server were able to.

It was good for a laugh getting killed and revived so many times. We were in stitches a good portion of the time. I was getting quite proficient and hitting the tips of big rock formations and "rebounding" frags over them. But after a few hours it didn't hold any interest for us what so ever. Last round I finished 3rd in kills with out really "bearing" down and playing hard. Good teammates helped a lot.

Some people like hamburgers and some people like a filet mignon.

To each his own.

Comment

IO desn't bother me, it realy depends on the map, dont you think guys?

Comment

As opposed to only playing support, medic, or sniper and spamming grenades and heals? I/O is stat padder heaven.

Seriously... there are much better games out there if you want to fight without vehicles.

If I/O was restricted to 16-player size maps then it might be fun. But not on 64-player maps.

Comment

Have to agree, IO is a nice change to the airplane and tank whoring. Keep the servers alive.

Comment

Working...
                              X