Lag, Low Fps w/ 2 Nvidia 7800 GTX 256mb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag, Low Fps w/ 2 Nvidia 7800 GTX 256mb

Hi, My specs are in displayed below in my signature and I have the latest Nvidia driver installed. I have been experiencing lag and low fps in different maps. In Gulf of Oman, I am getting only 50fps or less with all High settings w/ 4x aa.

I recently bought BF2 : SF and in Warlord i was only getting around 38fps and lower. Same in Strike at Karkand, only 40fps. It is kinda laggy at these frame rates and when the battle intensifies even worse. With 2 7800GTX 256mb I should be getting more but do not know whats holding the fps back.

I tested my fps on local server and found it out to be 150fps in Gulf Of Oman near the ship and 90fps inland.

I am looking for help not some kind of remarks that I am showing off etc. PLEASE HELP ME OUT, BECAUSE I AM IN DESPERATE NEED FOR GUIDANCE :cry: . I thank you to those of you who are sincere and like to help. If you have any questions please post them in this thread and I'll reply as soon as possible. Thank you.

If you have almost same kinda rig or graphics card please let me know how you are getting good fps (if you are) and I would really appreciate that. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Somebody please help me !!! I beg of you !!!

Re: Lag, Low Fps w/ 2 Nvidia 7800 GTX 256mb

that's mad, right have you run disk clean done dfrag ? scaned for spyware looked for virus ? you have ?> download ccleaner from the internet run remove all the rubbish, try the game agen, reset the graphics and try that hope that help

Comment

Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike
        Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster

Update Punkbuster
        QFT, and Defrag.

Comment

Ok, I defraged, checked for viruses and spyware. All removed with Ad aware. I got 5-10fps increase in game. I manually update punkbuster every 2 weeks and no new update as of now. BTW punkbuster has anything to do with graphics?

Is it that my processor cant handle the game besides the graphic cards? Because in local server I get atleast 100fps all the time but when I go to online servers it is way down? Any comments???

Thx for the help before but this is a question that is making me think all the time. I was planning on upgrading to 8800gtx but what good would that do if my processor isnt good enough. Is dual core an option? (I have heard that BF2 does not use dual technology so is it worth it to buy dual core?)

Thanks once again.

Comment

lol its nothing to do with your CPU, its a VERY good CPU for BF2. I think its the best single core, and if you want to upgrade to 8800GTX you will need to get yourself a Dual Core though. I noticed you have a physx card, are you using any kind of option changes to try and use the physx effects? I heard that using the physx effects even with the card will reduce your FPS by a lot.

Comment

No, I am not using physx because u need the software and driver and there are very few games that use the technology and I dont have any of them anyways. People have told me that with this kinda rig they are getting close to atleast 100fps no lag but I do not know what the heck is going on. Any suggestions or if you have the same kinda rig, can u confirm this 100fps. Thankyou for helping me out guys but the stupid issue is still there. For the last to days, I have been playing at medium settings, no AA which looks UGLY. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please give me a good suggestion. Thank you. :wall:

Comment

Well, all I can think of is.. Reformat. Use a program called Killdisk reformat and then reinstall XP or whatever OS you have. That 'should' sort it out and it always has sorted problems like that. I always backup my PC so i don't mind reformatting. I've reformatted my current HDD about 4 times since November (2 XP - 2 Vista).

Comment

thank you. I'll do it and let you know the results. Thanks for helping me all the way.

Comment

You probarbly should run a 3DMark before you reformat your PC, chances are BF just needs a re-install. Also if you have any other games that you run max check them to see if anything has changed. If not its BF not your PC.

Comment

I wouldn't reformat yet.

What resolution are you attempting to play at? And don't say MAX because max is something different for everyone.

Not that I think that matters much with that machine, but it's additional information that should always be listed when asking for help in this type of situation.

You didn't list a soundcard either. I'm not suspecting onboard sound with that computer causing problems, actually quite the reverse. If you have an X-fi card there has been a framerate issue with them in some rare circumstances.

Creative Lab Forums X-Fi Performance in BF2.

How much crap do you have running in the background? I've seen programs that are loaded on start up (ipod, P2P, Itunes, etc etc) that can drag some of the best machines down.

Ditch it all before playing BF2. BF2 is shaky as it is, it really doesn't like other stuff asking for clock cycles. It's usually not a performance issue with higher end machines such as yours , it's more for stability. But in extreme cases of having everything under the sun running in the background it can bog down even the best machines. When you hit control/alt/delete and you don't know what a program is, use Process Library to look it up. It will tell you what program it originates from and whether it is vital or not.

Originally posted by Badsubby
                      If you have almost same kinda rig or graphics card please let me know how you are getting good fps (if you are) and I would really appreciate that
                      For comparison (specs listed below): I play on nearly full servers 1600x1200 all graphic settings on high, 2xAA. I don't run my X-fi on "Ultra HIgh" just the ""HIGH" settings, EAX enabled..

My average frame rate is in the mid 70's , my lowest dip is in the low 50's, which is not very often. I don't count arty attacks ;-). I can soar up in to the high 80's in very calm conditions (no vehicles, weapons going off, or other players). Then again I'm an anal retentive when it comes to this computer. It runs games and only games and specifically set up for that. Nothing but hardware for gaming and a stripped down version of XP using BlackVipers services tweaks.

Your sir should be cranking out the frames with your specifications. I think BF2 is played much better at 50frames plus, but anything over 100 isn't worth it IMO. Unless you can do 100+ with all the settings you like, then all the more power to you. But I wouldn't sacrifice graphics (lighting effects, shadows etc etc) , just to get my average frame rate into the 90's.

A 70ish average framerate is fine. But unlike other newer games, BF2 does not like minimal framerates (30-50 average). So I know how your feeling right now. BF2 needs a "buffer" of extra frames, because so much can start happening in comparison to it's least demanding times.

Could you be applying too much AA via the card and not the BF2 settings? Check to see if you AA and AF settings in the advanced panel for you video card are set to "application controled" and not 16x or 8x. Vsync enabled or disabled? One setting is usually better depending on your monitor.

Here's a good tweak guide: BF2 Tweak Guide

And a generic one for all Nvidia Based cards: Nforce Tweak Guide

Does the game play well off line? Try a single player game and see how the frame rates are compared to being online. Do you have your Windows firewall turned on or off? The Windows firewall can cause all kinds of anomalies when trying to play on line with it on.

Did you just purchase this computer? I build my own so I know the parts and workmanship going into them. Could it have been built on a Friday, as the saying goes? Have you played other games with this computer with no issues?

Temps? Are you running hot? Bad fans not turning or turning slow?

That's just a few of the things I can think of off the top of my head that I'd check before doing a reformat.

Comment

Originally posted by disfigured View Post
                        I wouldn't reformat yet.

What resolution are you attempting to play at? And don't say MAX because max is something different for everyone.

Not that I think that matters much with that machine, but it's additional information that should always be listed when asking for help in this type of situation.

You didn't list a soundcard either. I'm not suspecting onboard sound with that computer causing problems, actually quite the reverse. If you have an X-fi card there has been a framerate issue with them in some rare circumstances.

Creative Lab Forums X-Fi Performance in BF2.

How much crap do you have running in the background? I've seen programs that are loaded on start up (ipod, P2P, Itunes, etc etc) that can drag some of the best machines down.

Ditch it all before playing BF2. BF2 is shaky as it is, it really doesn't like other stuff asking for clock cycles. It's usually not a performance issue with higher end machines such as yours , it's more for stability. But in extreme cases of having everything under the sun running in the background it can bog down even the best machines. When you hit control/alt/delete and you don't know what a program is, use Process Library to look it up. It will tell you what program it originates from and whether it is vital or not.

For comparison (specs listed below): I play on nearly full servers 1600x1200 all graphic settings on high, 2xAA. I don't run my X-fi on "Ultra HIgh" just the ""HIGH" settings, EAX enabled..

My average frame rate is in the mid 70's , my lowest dip is in the low 50's, which is not very often. I don't count arty attacks ;-). I can soar up in to the high 80's in very calm conditions (no vehicles, weapons going off, or other players). Then again I'm an anal retentive when it comes to this computer. It runs games and only games and specifically set up for that. Nothing but hardware for gaming and a stripped down version of XP using BlackVipers services tweaks.

Your sir should be cranking out the frames with your specifications. I think BF2 is played much better at 50frames plus, but anything over 100 isn't worth it IMO. Unless you can do 100+ with all the settings you like, then all the more power to you. But I wouldn't sacrifice graphics (lighting effects, shadows etc etc) , just to get my average frame rate into the 90's.

A 70ish average framerate is fine. But unlike other newer games, BF2 does not like minimal framerates (30-50 average). So I know how your feeling right now. BF2 needs a "buffer" of extra frames, because so much can start happening in comparison to it's least demanding times.

Could you be applying too much AA via the card and not the BF2 settings? Check to see if you AA and AF settings in the advanced panel for you video card are set to "application controled" and not 16x or 8x. Vsync enabled or disabled? One setting is usually better depending on your monitor.

Here's a good tweak guide: BF2 Tweak Guide

And a generic one for all Nvidia Based cards: Nforce Tweak Guide

Does the game play well off line? Try a single player game and see how the frame rates are compared to being online. Do you have your Windows firewall turned on or off? The Windows firewall can cause all kinds of anomalies when trying to play on line with it on.

Did you just purchase this computer? I build my own so I know the parts and workmanship going into them. Could it have been built on a Friday, as the saying goes? Have you played other games with this computer with no issues?

Temps? Are you running hot? Bad fans not turning or turning slow?

That's just a few of the things I can think of off the top of my head that I'd check before doing a reformat.
                        Thx a lot for responding.
                        In game settings:
                        All high, Dynamic Lights and Shadows on Medium, 4xAA, 1680x1050.

I am not using the sound card. Just software on medium.

I am just turning on the processes required for running the windows and bf2. No crap like itunes, quicktime, realplayer, etc.

It is ludacris how you cranking out frames in the mid 70's and lowest is in the 50's with a 7800 GT (no offense). I wouldnt complain if my lowest didnt go below 50 but it does all the time.

I use ingame settings for AA and AF.

It is smooth offline. Firewall is turned off. I bought the comp. Dont know if it was built on Friday, lol (hope not).

I get 70+ fps in counter strike source. Every other game runs smooth except bf2.

Temps are not hot at all since I am using liquid cooling. During full load temps are around 45 for both cards.

Man I don't know what to do. Can you please give me a name of a server where you dont lag around the East Coast (NY preferred)?

Any suggestions??? I am gonna commit suicide because of this problem, lol.

Once again, thx for posting such a detailed answer.

Comment

Well i wouldnt go over 1280x1024( seems u have widescreen - numbers are bit different) with 7800GTX/ lower your resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by badsubby View Post
                            Thx a lot for responding.
                            In game settings:
                            All high, Dynamic Lights and Shadows on Medium, 4xAA, 1680x1050.

I am not using the sound card. Just software on medium.

I am just turning on the processes required for running the windows and bf2. No crap like itunes, quicktime, realplayer, etc.

It is ludacris how you cranking out frames in the mid 70's and lowest is in the 50's with a 7800 GT (no offense). I wouldnt complain if my lowest didnt go below 50 but it does all the time.

I use ingame settings for AA and AF.

It is smooth offline. Firewall is turned off. I bought the comp. Dont know if it was built on Friday, lol (hope not).

I get 70+ fps in counter strike source. Every other game runs smooth except bf2.

Temps are not hot at all since I am using liquid cooling. During full load temps are around 45 for both cards.

Man I don't know what to do. Can you please give me a name of a server where you dont lag around the East Coast (NY preferred)?

Any suggestions??? I am gonna commit suicide because of this problem, lol.

Once again, thx for posting such a detailed answer.

You should be getting aLOT better frame rates in CS:S with those settings, I average about 100 in the test an all high 1024x768 an a machine alot worse than yours.

P4 2.53 ghz
                            1 gig ram
                            nvidia 6600 OC (AGP)

Comment

Interesting...

Stick sound onto hardware if you can, it might lighten the load. Since I've upgraded, I've ran into the exact same problem as you. On a local server I can be running at upwards of 100fps, generally doesn't drop below 90fps, even at 1920x1440@4xAA. On a multiplayer server I'll be getting 80fps at best, it'll drop down to 30 at times, averaging 50. The resolution doesn't even matter. I can change from 1920x1440 to 1280x1024 and nothing will happen.

Don't have this problem in CS:S.

For some cards, when you put on 4xAA in-game, it applies 16xCSAA instead. You have to force the 4xAA mode through driver profiles and use the "Enhance game mode" setting or it won't work. Probably isn't an issue here, but I'd try that.

Originally posted by Mrt1989 View Post
                              Well i wouldnt go over 1280x1024( seems u have widescreen - numbers are bit different) with 7800GTX/ lower your resolution.
                              Are you joking? SLI is practically made for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X