Jet Flying Question And Answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jet Flying Question And Answer

Man, flares are fvcking tricky. If you release them when missiles are in flight, you might get hit by at least one of them. If you release them as a shield to block from lock on, you can be caught pants down a few seconds later.

All I can say is- flares give you one additional chance to save your life with a maneuver which will HAVE to make you lose the opponent. If you fail to lose the tail, prepare for the worst.

Comment

very true chris, alot of people are talking about defense here I thought I'd bring up a few key points in offense.

placeing your lock reticle, this might seem like common knowledge but most people pull up when they get locked, and flares fall down away, if you put the bottom edge just barely on your target and give your self some space between you and your opponent, if he pops flares in level flight or just starting to pull up you wont lose your lock...at all. It doesnt always work but it is a nice tool to use when you dont want to engage in long dogfights, it works great on F-35's and on relativley inexperienced pilots.

another thing is your ping. I finally found a couple of good west coast servers to fly on where I have less than a 30 ping and OMG what a world of difference it makes. For some reason on these servers I can turn a little sharper and my missles hit with a way, way, way higher percentage. Before playing on these servers I generally played on servers where I had anywhere from a 60 to 75 ping and I thought that was fine.

This explains more than one engagement I've had where I could swear guys with low pings could out turn a fighter and their missles had uber accuracy. If we could get a second or third person to confirm this it would be great for everyone to know. I know this might already be common knowledge for some but youd be amazed at some of the things that fall between the cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousĀ²O
        Any answers for Mad Ad? Seems like his questions were forgotten.

Dunno the answer Mad, I know what you are getting at though. However, since you said you aren't talking about F35 and MiG, even for aces I think the J10 and F18 can be very difficult, and time consuming, to take down using missiles against a decent pilot.

I think pings play a role in some of the success/failure. Lead the target (which is sounds like you are doing), and try attacking them more from an angle than from directly behind with missiles. Against a decent pilot, imo gun use is vital.

Tips anyone?

Its ok, hes being an ignorant twat for some reason, perhaps my question cut too close to secrets he wants to keep, perhaps hes took offence at something I posted elsewhere- I have no idea and hes not man enough to say so forget it.

Comment

Mad Ad my suggestion for you is to sneak closer. Don't give them time to do those loops. Cut in, get behind the tail, spray with ur cannon and fire those missiles as as fast as u can. No one can watch their rear view all the time, especially if they have something to chase for. One thing, try to get close from above or below ur enemy. Leveling with your target makes it easier for him to spot u while peeking rear view for a second, also if you have height difference, it helps you cutting some distance if you target makes turn or something. Allmost all J-10 I've dropped with F-35B have went down by this trick. It only takes one missile when u get few hits with the cannon. 4-5 plane lenghts is maybe optimum distance to engage. Aim for the motor and switch A2A mode a moment after ur cannon makes first hit.

Hope this helps you...

Comment

You have to watch people when they fly, pay attention to when they are careless or make minor errors. If they fly flat and level ever, that is when to attack them and do so with cannons and missle imediatly when they start to break.

There is no one size fits all, you have to be creative and adapt to changing conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Ad
              Its ok, hes being an ignorant twat for some reason, perhaps my question cut too close to secrets he wants to keep, perhaps hes took offence at something I posted elsewhere- I have no idea and hes not man enough to say so forget it.
              it looks like your question got missed, no need to get mardy about it, just ask it again ??

you want to be able to hit the j10 and f18 more easily with missiles ? its the hardest thing to do with jets.

j10: can be hit very often from afar as long as they dont turn into a tight circle, best times are flying straight, flying up or when your so far up their *** you nearly ram them (No lock needed).

f18: you will rarely hit it when its pulling up (usually upwards loop or sideways circle loop), flying straight or up or down you can usually hit it. can be hit easily if you fly up its arse (no lock needed).

you just have to pick the way you kill it depending on what manouvers its doing. personally i will mostly use missiles on the j10 and mostly guns on the f18, unless i know i can get a missile kill.

Comment

i find it best to take out F-18/J-10, by sticking my cannon up its butt, when he smoeks slow a little (i mean just enough to put about a farts distance) then just lock a missile and fire instantly, from that distance i find no matter what they do it tends to work

^^ only problem i have with engaging the J-10 wit han 35 is getting up his *** in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by ||3RB||MOBB
                  very true chris, alot of people are talking about defense here I thought I'd bring up a few key points in offense.

placeing your lock reticle, this might seem like common knowledge but most people pull up when they get locked, and flares fall down away, if you put the bottom edge just barely on your target and give your self some space between you and your opponent, if he pops flares in level flight or just starting to pull up you wont lose your lock...at all. It doesnt always work but it is a nice tool to use when you dont want to engage in long dogfights, it works great on F-35's and on relativley inexperienced pilots.

another thing is your ping. I finally found a couple of good west coast servers to fly on where I have less than a 30 ping and OMG what a world of difference it makes. For some reason on these servers I can turn a little sharper and my missles hit with a way, way, way higher percentage. Before playing on these servers I generally played on servers where I had anywhere from a 60 to 75 ping and I thought that was fine.

This explains more than one engagement I've had where I could swear guys with low pings could out turn a fighter and their missles had uber accuracy. If we could get a second or third person to confirm this it would be great for everyone to know. I know this might already be common knowledge for some but youd be amazed at some of the things that fall between the cracks.
                  Confirmed. Someone I used to play with a lot recently asked me how the fark was I able to fly the way I did with a 150-250 ping, as he was always flying with a near 20 one. He was talking about the jet turning worse, missiles having worse connection and a lot of other problems.

As of all my playtime, lower than 50 ms ping servers make up less than 1%, I cant really comment on the issue.

Originally posted by Mad Ad
                  Was that adressed to me?! :|:

Comment

The lowest ping I ever played at was 60, last night on a Wake Island server...It was great, my TV's did not glitch at all, they have been like crazy lately...49-11 is what I finished at, had a pretty damn fine pilot though

I think Pings make so much of a difference its not even funny..when I play above 100, my Tv's glitch all the dang time, I get the one where it shoots, and you can guide it, but you do not use the Missiles camera, you just stay in your tv screen.....it sucks

Sorry it was not about jets, but I was talking about the ping!

As an aside, I actually find F-18's to be fairly easy to shoot down when I am in the F-35, such as when the Chinese side steals it on wake....Just get on there butts, and cannon for 3 seconds, if not dead, launch all 6 missiles without lock, and one will hit...

Comment

60 damn that is high my lowest ping i played on is 8 or 7 but pretty sure its 8.

Man my cannon was hitting so good and so fast to kill a chopper

Comment

Hmmm... Ok, well it seems that ping will help you turn sharper and help your gunnery and missles after all. Play in the lowest ping server you can find is my suggestion.

Comment

i dont know if this has been mentioned but it seems to me that just being able to hop into the jet is a skill in itself. seems like everytime i try to hop in there are 5 other guys who are nudging me out of the way until i'm left standing there watching them takeoff.

Comment

Originally posted by ||3RB||MOBB
                            Hmmm... Ok, well it seems that ping will help you turn sharper and help your gunnery and missles after all. Play in the lowest ping server you can find is my suggestion.
                            Indeed, higher ping, higher reaction time. And it takes longer for the info to reach server/client.

Hmm.. there is another thing though. When your ping goes higher than 100ms, you can often notice that the jet jerks a little, the pattern of flight isnt exactly fluid. So if youre pulling back the stick, and these small lagspikes interrupt the constant signal, the turn diameter could actually be a little bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by VaNiLLaDuTch
                              i dont know if this has been mentioned but it seems to me that just being able to hop into the jet is a skill in itself. seems like everytime i try to hop in there are 5 other guys who are nudging me out of the way until i'm left standing there watching them takeoff.
                              LOL! Survive the arty, make it past the TKing, escape the carrier raping, win the mini-competition with 5 others to actually get in a jet, only to meet your demise to a suddenly placed UAV. Someone could write The Memoirs of a BF2 F35 Pilot

However, I don't dig that either and prefer less full servers for your exact problem.

Comment

I know I'm a little late, but I'll go on Mario's defense here.

I've played with him(on the opposite team), on Oman before. I join in and my team(MEC) has maybe 70 tickets, and US has about 170 and all flags. Within those 70 tickets, Mario and MysticRider(I believe) managed to give me my first purple heart of the game. It is not hard to pick out 2 and 3 infantry units standing at the runway on Oman, or any other map, when you know that they're all going to be standing there. Watching Mario's jet move, it's nothing I or any one else at my level could have not done, and something I have done with ease. The F-35B has some awesome strafing abilities, and cleanly moves with 3D twist.

Point being, it's incredibly easy to kill infantry when you know where they are.

As with chasing J-10's, I watched metallica's video and wentt and played my clan server on Wake with some guys I know. My friend Havoc(who's a pretty big J-10 whore) was of course on the Chinese side. Me having like, 3 hours in a jet, kept in mind what was in the video, stayed high, scouted for him, mainly did circles around the carrier(we allow baserape), cut him off and scared him to his airfield, ambush, cut him off again, kept him the bottom left corner, tapped afterburners, got on his a$$, switch, MG, dumb fire 2-3, BOOM! Only thing you worry about is turning quick enough to avoid debris, never taken out J-10's easier. I owe to metallica. :-P

The most fun thing on Wake, when you know you have a window for the J-10 to respawn, fly as low as you can on the airstrip and run those Chincs over.

Comment

Working...
                                X