Jet Flying Question And Answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Flying Question And Answer

It seems jet pilots hold their cards pretty close in this game, I just wanted to open an open question and answer post for anyone who has any questions. I'll do my best to answer your questions and If I dont know I'll tell and try to find out. Here are my stats according to Ubar so you know I'm not just some tard shelling out bum scoop. ask away

Re: Jet Flying Question And Answer

What jet do you fly the most, and why?

Comment

I think we all know its gunna be the j-10

Comment

It depends on a couple of things, But I generally preffer the fighters over the bombers. Now as far as the jet I fly specificaly, I fly whatever fighter my team is given. I actually like how responsive the F-35 is and I tend to do a little more damage to the enemy in a ground attack role. But I'd have to say my favorite is the F-18, reason being is I can pretty much make missles slide off of me even easier than the J-10 and on top of that the 18 is very responsive as compared with the J-10 even though it doesnt turn as sharp making it very good for ground attack, mind you, this is all subjective since it's my personal preference, alot of people preffer the J-10 over all. I highly encourage you to become familliar with all the jets so you know what they can and cant do, either in your hands or the enemies.

Each jet handles different and slightly different advantages and disadvantages, I've become very familliar with all the fighters, as far as the bombers I'm effective with them but Going from fighter to bomber feels like going from a sports car to a bus. If your still learning to fly, pick early on what you want to improve at and stick with either fighter or bomber, once you think you got it down maybe change it up, you should know what you want to be before practicing, fighter or bomber. Once you start with one you will most probably favor that one. Just remember, you can be an uber bomber pilot but you will sucumb to a decent fighter on the enemy side.

Comment

Not if you are in the SU-30

Comment

Play a 3 person team. The fighter should be flying cover for the bomber as part of his job and both pilots should be in communications if possible. Same with the bomber co-pilot.

Comment

Question 1: How the **** do you not get blown to bits of flaming metal each time a guy gets a lock on you? This happens to me even in the J-10, and yes I do insane maneuvers that would make the Blue Angels jealous

Question 2: How do these assholes always know where I am even though they have no commander, definitely no infantry nearby, and I'm out of visual range so they can't see me with alternate cam views?

Question 3: How do those jerks in the F-35 always manage to evade my MiG's missiles, yet when I'm the one in the F-35 I'm mincemeat once that BEEEEEEEEEEP goes steady?

Question 4: How is it humanly possible to get a huge KDR in the bombers when the enemy's fighters are in full force? Last time I had a good KDR in a bomber, I was using the laser missiles.

Question 5: Why the hell is this joystick (x52) so much less sensitive than my mouse? If I crank my mouse sensitivity for aircraft in BF2 all the way to 10, the MiG (just an example) turns on a dime, sort of. With the x52, it doesn't turn as well. How do I make my joystick's sensitivity at least equal to that of an olde-style ball mouse?

I'm about ready to give up on these stupid things once I have 50 hours in them and get the Veteran Aviator badge, and I'm also tempted to sell this joystick. Either that or develop leet hax that let my jet be invincible, but I'd rather not risk a HW ban.

edit: If you're wondering what kind of pilot I'm trying to be, I'm trying to be that pilot that can easily kill the enemy's jet, then rack up tons of kills off of ground targets (not just baseraping) until the enemy's jet is in the air. I don't want to be the Red Baron, nor do I want to be Mr. McBaserape.

edit2: If you're gonna type "practice", save the energy. Heard that enough times. Yes I know I need practice with my joystick to get good, but even with my mouse which I have been 'practicing' as people call it since MARCH I still get raped. No, I have not been using this account since March btw, had other accounts.

Comment

Exactly, The fighter should be sweeping all airspace, jets first, then attack helos when you know both jets are down, and ground AA needs to be supressed if they are engaging, 1 or 2 ground aa is a nuisance 4 or 5 is a pain in the ***, discourage them and think of it as pest control you cant eliminate it but you can put a nasty bleed on the enemy tickets by killing AA positions, A small tip here, the general ceiling for ground AA is 300 feet. fly above that and you should be ok, some AA sits at a high elevations so compensate for that, like the mobile aa at the top of the hill on construction site on kubra dam.

If you do your job well in the fighter, the bomber and attack helo on your team are going to be the ones who do the real damage, think of an mec chopper or cobra with nothing shooting at it. If you play in a server with me and fly the attack helo youll notice me peppering the hell out of ground aa and the enemy helo will "go away" withing 5 to 10 seconds of you spotting it, even if I dont see the helo on my map when you spot it, I'll see you flashing telling me you spotted something, now what would a freindly attack helo spot that it cant kill? either a jet or anoother attack helo.

BTW the SU-30 is by far and large the best bomber, but it's still a chew toy for a fighter, the hit box is really large so it's as easy to shoot down as the f-15 with guns...

Comment

Hi MOBB, you are obviously very skilled in jets, your stats are similar to metallica and he is god like lol.

What i wanted to ask was bombing tips. I mainly fly the J-10 and F-35, what is the best bombing tactic and how should i use my Hud to best effect?

I barely get any kills with bombs except infantry. I end up using the MG but that can take 2 or 3 runs depending on the target and wastes alot of time...

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane.CAD
                    Question 1: How the **** do you not get blown to bits of flaming metal each time a guy gets a lock on you? This happens to me even in the J-10, and yes I do insane maneuvers that would make the Blue Angels jealous
                    Heres the cookie. You may do your wildest maneuvers ever, but if you do maneuvers that keep you in my lock, you are dead. Time to do maneuvers that WORK, not maneuvers that are fancy. Smart pilots, who fly intuitively and then back it up with strategical tracking, will NOT follow your maneuvers through, as it would be stupid. Instead, many of them prefer to slow down, and watch you actually go in one solid direction. Then they just cut through your maneuvers, lock on to you, and blast you away.

Typcai mouse+KB pilots mistake, especially when they arent really experience. No offense.

Question 2: How do these assholes always know where I am even though they have no commander, definitely no infantry nearby, and I'm out of visual range so they can't see me with alternate cam views?
                    How do you know you are out of visual range? You might have been spotted. You might have attacked a flag. They might have put one and one together and figured out your direction. They might have spotted you, someone else might have spotted you.

Question 3: How do those jerks in the F-35 always manage to evade my MiG's missiles, yet when I'm the one in the F-35 I'm mincemeat once that BEEEEEEEEEEP goes steady?
                    Ugh, youre doing something very wrong if they evade your missiles when they fly F35B. But lets play a little theory game here. My guess is that youre shooting your missiles off simply at such an extreme angle, that they just cant aquire the F35B upon launch.

Question 4: How is it humanly possible to get a huge KDR in the bombers when the enemy's fighters are in full force? Last time I had a good KDR in a bomber, I was using the laser missiles.
                    You strike as fast as you can, areas most profitable to you, and then get the fvck out and go to reload using a non-direct approach. Its simple. You just need to be careful. Besides. Pilots have a life space of 800-1000 metres, not everyone flies low to the ground, visible to all.

Question 5: Why the hell is this joystick (x52) so much less sensitive than my mouse? If I crank my mouse sensitivity for aircraft in BF2 all the way to 10, the MiG (just an example) turns on a dime, sort of. With the x52, it doesn't turn as well. How do I make my joystick's sensitivity at least equal to that of an olde-style ball mouse?
                    It isnt. As a matter of fact, unless you tune your joystick into uber-sensitive, mouse has the upper edge in sensitivity. With KB winning them all. But, you have to lift and re-move your mouse, and most mouse pilots have different flight maneuvers than JS pilots do, and most of those most use flight maneuvers that are fairly easy to track. Thus the myth of mouse being less responsive.

I'm about ready to give up on these stupid things once I have 50 hours in them and get the Veteran Aviator badge, and I'm also tempted to sell this joystick. Either that or develop leet hax that let my jet be invincible, but I'd rather not risk a HW ban.
                    Have a go at my dogfighters guide, it will answer everything you need to know, anything mouse+KB related you get via search.

edit2: If you're gonna type "practice", save the energy. Heard that enough times. Yes I know I need practice with my joystick to get good, but even with my mouse which I have been 'practicing' as people call it since MARCH I still get raped. No, I have not been using this account since March btw, had other accounts.
                    Simple "practice" is good only to get you adjusted to controls. And of course if you need to learn how to bomb ground targets. Everything else comes from self improvement via experience, via games, via making notes of what you did wrong and what you did right.

Comment

Thanks for the comments Chris. What do you use? JS or KB/M?

Comment

many fighter pilots dont understand te point of being a fighter and they see themselves as a faster version of a bomber, they just drop realod drop reload on and on and on.

personally when im in a fighter ill spend most of my time doing my job as a fighter and scouring the map for aircraft and establishing air superiorty (air superiority is when you deny the enemy the airspace they need to give their troops ground support and so you can have your bombers fly freely)

after i know all fighters are down then ill bomb but only like 2 runs because by then another fighter has probably spawned.

another answer to your question would be that mabe the fighter did his job...and as a result the bomber can fly freely.

sometimes i like to steal an enemy fighter, and leep it for the whole round or land it at my field and type

"IVE LANDED A STOLEN ENEMY FIGHTER AT OUR FIELD WHO WANTS IT!!!!!!"

someone usually comes but now that we have 2 fighters and a bomber in the air(or 3 fighters depending on map) we have air power and bomb the enemy into submission

i hate it when i establish air superiorty but my ground troops lose all flags anyway....just proves even the mighiest of j-10 whores cant do it all.

Comment

Thanks for the comments Chris. What do you use? JS or KB/M?
                          Ive used them all.

KB only, Mouse and KB, and Ive landed on JS+KB combo and last time I played I tried to move more and more towards JS only option. Im a very unstable flyer, you can immediately make the difference between me and Metallica for example. When Metallica and PW whip out that machine gun fire, their jet generally is very stable, very solid. Mine is like a cat on the ice, always bounding off and such. But thats the cost of flying JS + KB.

Anyway, be sure to search "Dogfighters guide".

Comment

The fighter drops two bombs. Often times I found I was hitting with one bomb but not the other. I read a guide that showed me how to set up for single bomb drops. Now I take two passes and spike two footballs right on a tanks head and get the kill.

You can still do it the other way, but you have to make it a steep dive to insure close placement of the two bombs.

The second nice thing of the single bomb drop method is some things are already damaged. A single bomb may be all that is needed.

To get into single bomb mode, take off, drop both bombs. Reload but at a bad angle so that you only get one bomb reloaded. Now, drop that bomb. You can now reload and get two bombs and they will drop individually.

Comment

to answer your questions in order hurricane here we go:

1. Check your ping, you dont want to fly in servers with a ping over 80 preferably under that. Im going to seperate your first question into two parts...evading missles from jets, and missles from ground AA.You can tell a definite difference from ground aa lock ons and other aircraft locking on to you. Ground AA lock times are VERY short... stupid short in fact when compared to jets lock ons and start recognizing the difference, because you will want to deal with each differently.

-Missles from jets-

Now in a j10 or f18 your pretty much untouchable but lets just say you are doing something wrong, Your most likely popping your flares too early, wait for a solid tone before popping your flares, and break while looking behind you, countering your oponents every move, if he reacts to your last move wait till hes in the middle of banking to reengage then break back in the opposite direction and continue in that direction you'll lose most people with this one. The kicker is wait untilll your fully locked onto before droppinng the flares, sometimes it's just a jet coming straight at you, in which case dont waste your flares, let him waste his missles hes not going to hit you... unless you fly perfectly straight at him.

-missles from ground AA-

I have a feeling this is what is biting you in the a$$. once youve learned to identify this lock by the very short lock on time, pop your flares the exact second it goes solid. It takes a split second after he gets lock for his missles to track properly, if you do it this way youll buy your self enough time to get out of his lock on range which is approx 300 feet in any direction. While your flares are recharging fly above this to take ground AA out of the equation which you should be doing anyways since there are other fighters up looking for you. Ground AA tracks rediculously well, A mobile aa will take down a jet easily if your not paying attention or you pop your flares late.
                              Now if you are getting locked up by ground AA, I can actually make it so ground aa missles hit you if I get lock even if you pop flares, at least one of the missles will hit you. You have to listen for how long it takes for lock to get on to you, if it seems almost instantaniously its probably ground AA pop flares the second it goes steady tone, ground aa actually takes a split second after they get tone to lock correctly... use that info to yoru knowledge. I have a feeling what is killing you is mobile AA.

question #2

Your flying too low, altitude is your freind, also equally important look behind you regularly and dont fly flat and level for longer than a second...ever. I take down so many people with guns in j10s it's ridiculous. For starters you know he has to rearm and repair sometime, dont be predictable and circle at 700 feet over his runway, if hes decent he'll check over his airstrip for you time to time since it's a common place for the enemy to loiter, every one has a flight pattern, notice his and exploite them, is he really good at attack but never looks behind him? gun him down then with no lock. Does he cut his throttle over the airstrip alot? ambush him, does he always engage your wingman? tail your wingman from high above (bait him) Does he cut his throttle to maintain lock while engaging yoru wingman? Hes toest, missles and or guns. This is the key to winning in the air, spotting first and there are alot of moving parts, but in the end you need to identify what your enemy is not doing and use that against him, also identify where and when you get locked up, what could you be doing wrong? critique yourself at the end of every round...HONESTLY and truthfully. Try flying high to begin with and only focus on other jets, not ground targets, I bet youll start living longer since you will be more focused, always engage a jet if you see it, unless you think his wingman is tailing him, its like a big rock paper scissors game, mix it up a bit and youll do fine, its when you lather rinse repeat any tactic you get in trouble.

question #3

Hes probably timing his flares right, try firing one missle to prompt his flare deployment, if he doesnt he'll get hit. if he does pop flares fire off a salvo of three missles 1 extra missle for good measure so he cant bail from a plane on fire...important on wake. one other thing, if you lock onto him at around 500 feet he can easily climb to 750 and out run your missles... I do this all the time just make sure you have after burner. also make sure your launch angle isnt too extreme, compensate by leading him with your missle fire, if hes above you trying to climb use the bottom edge of your missle lock circle, also on some planes like the mig 29 and f18 missle wont launch at all if you dont do this

question #4

This is easy... THE fighter isnt doing his damn job, simple as that. Bombers are fodder for any decent pilot, the only defense the bomber has is to climb and only come down for targets but he has to rearm alot and he gets spotted alot by infantry when they get tired of getting bombed by him, pay attention to the flashing players when you here enemy plane spotted, you cant see the plane alot of the time but you will see the freindly flashing that spotted him on your minimap.

question #5

I have a logitech so I feel that if I try to help with this it would be purely speculation. As long as you have a twist handle and you have your yaw/pitch factor maxed out with your sensitivity, that would be where to start, and map your rear view to your view hat, chase view to be precise but its nice to have the standard rear view also to spot infantry on the ground for a follow up pass.

I hope that helps bud, alot of this I regrett to say is getting a feel for this and that. But the biggest part is you need to be able to do 10 different things at once with out hitting a mountain side or tree. One more tip that will save you alot when you get more seasoned:

-check your mini map for freindly jets before rearming, circle if you have to but you wont smack a freindly jet if you do this

-If your wingman is on a jet, dont engage the same jet, your more than likely going to hit each other

-Plan what your going to engage or suppress before you even get up in the air. it should go... fighter then bomber then ground aa then attack helo then black hawk and then armor. some maps like wake island the black hawk is a way bigger threat than the cobra.

-spectate other pilots in third person view who you know are good and just write the round off to training. maybe join their squad and pick their brain via voip, I have people do it to me all the time, I usually invite people who call me a hacker to spectate me and I'll show them what I'm doing.

There is no silver bullet, only tools to add to the tool box, if you use a screw driver on a nut your going to fail, and vice versa a wrench on a screw and youll fail you have to be able to assess and reassess constantly all while not smacking a tree and killin the enemy so unfortunatly alot of this is practicing, however you can work smarter or harder and maybe a bit of both, compartmentalize one thing at a time and they will all come together, dont tackle it all at once, I suggest working on taking down other jets first and yes, the best defense is a good offense, Your more than welcom to look me up tomorrow, ill be on in the early part of the afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X