No announcement yet.

Mods - Why are folks not playing them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods - Why are folks not playing them?

This is a question Ive had on my mind, and its turning into a bit of an enigma.

Had a lot of mods released of late, each having excellent content for primary beta releases, often surpassing Dice quality in modelling, maps and gameplay, but their is not a lot of people playing them, from what is a pretty big gaming community.

Each has had pretty good PR, and at release a fair amount of folk playing them, but they all seem to dwindle down to hard core fans.

The most likelly explanation was down to the exclusion of stats etc IMHO, but as a few mods have now included stats and are planning their inclusion, Ive not seen greta numbers migrating to the mod scene.

As for myself Ive been playing BF2 from release, and the Vanilla maps are getting rather stale for me - only really play it now, if theres no decent busy mod servers, or just for a change, but aint got the thirst i once had for playing Vanilla.

So, folks tell me what the mods need to do, to get your support and playtime?

Whats the consensus?

Re: Mods - Why are folks not playing them?

they're not much good

Hopefully Project Reality will change all that - release on november 11th

Comment

IMHO i think there are three reasons why the mods arnt popular.

1) The mods are coming out way to late in the life of BF2 (it cant be helped though).

2) Some of them just arnt that good or are just not appealing.

3) The vannila stat system pretty much buggered up the mods from day one. one

Comment

I would play them. I'm in Korea now and I've only seen one server for POE. I'm pretty much out of BF2 and BF2142.

Comment

Mods suck, TBH.

I don't like any mod in any game.

Comment

The good mods havent released yet, but i know some are alreadyout that are good, but thye get boring, and NO STATS WTF.

Comment

Stats is why, nothing else.

Comment

I'm sure if MODs would have BF2 style stats and unlocks, a lot of people will play them. Thanks to the stat system, people no longer play the game for FUN, they play it to gain meaningless ranks. Honestly, I'm glad MODs like POE2 will not use the bf2 style system, I don't have to deal with smacktards crying about their stats and no ROE rules telling me how to run MY OWN SERVER.

POE2 is popular and is played in ladders (CAL is one of them) and pretty sure FH2, DCon and the next USI release will create a lot of buzz. I mean how long can you keep playing stock BF2 maps?

Comment

We have our latest Beta out and your all welcome to come and try it out with us

were also have our own stat system coming soon

Comment

Stats is the number one reason.

I just started playing BF 2 about 3 months ago and I'm still pursuing rank and medals like a lemming. If the mod servers were ranked I'd probably play them...but I'm not tired enough of the regular maps to move on yet.

Comment

So then Stats screwed the Mod community as well as the Battlefield series?
                      Great??
                      WTG DICE/EA. :wall:

Nice way to totally screw up a winning franchise. :cussing:

Totally RUIN a game that people were playing for FUN and make it all about Ranking. :shakehead

OH NOES!!! Teh mods dont hav Rankings so why play them
                      I Want to see my name in light so I'm going to whore all the points I can get

It's a shame really that people who play games for fun and not numbers are now the minority in this game.

I can't wait for a game to come along that wipes the BF series off the map and EA and DICE can die.

BTW...PoE2 will have it own global stats soon. But it's just number tracking. No ingame reward. No one 'outranks' any one in the game. Just like some of the local stats systems there were for 1942/DC.
                      It going to be managed by the PoE Devs.

PoE2 FTW!! It's the best mod out there right now.

Comment

PoE stats are in operation at the moment on several servers.

And several of the other mods have stats or are in the pipeline.

Good responses. Can understand folk that are new to the game, still wanting to play Vanilla, but there must be whole lot more who have played the current maps to death. I myself have a total of 366 hours of playtime on Ranked servers since BF2 came out, and the maps are in the ok for a change category now.

18zookiller hit the nail on the head for a few points.

Think EA's marketing strategy was in place to hinder mod development, so they could release there own mods for a price, which in turn do not have a great user base.

As for unlocks, many of the mods have great guns in the first instance negating the need for unlocks, unless your one of the folk who like to play with an unfair advantage (sf unlocks anyone?)

For the 'mods sucks' peeps, please elaborate. Although I know many of the mods arent gonnae suit everyones tastes, the likes of PR is a very good mod, but a little too real for my liking, but theresfolk who appreciate it and play it well.

My prefernces are towards USI and PoE2, both of which offer outstanding graphical work and different and enjoyable game play - guns that kill folk, and vehicles that are as powerful as they should be, while balanced well against there threats.

So folks, especially you guys that dont play them, what would make you play a mod? What is it your after that would drag you away from vanilla, and populate the mod servers? And do you think the PR efforts are adaquate and if not, how could they be improved to spread the word?

Comment

I think it is the stats. Some of the mods like PoE are way better than stock BF2. I think FH2 will fit that as well. Overall it comes down to lack of support from EA as it sounds like they left the mods to hang out to dry with half hearted support and promotions.

Comment

I agree, stats are huge, they are what attract. But I'll go a little deeper and say awards are really the heart of what attract most. Sure they mean nothing, but they are hella fun to collect. I'd swear we are all stamp collectors at heart. FFS, no one cares about your collection as much as you do.

Also, mod stats should be linked into EA's some how. Piggy back on them in some manner. For instance, you could only get a PoE award once you had a certain Vanilla award or stat level. Combining the two and building off of the base is what would really sell it all.

Maybe then someone could make some generic cross-mod stat site that generated awards based upon performance across certain mods/etc. The possibilities are limitless. I'm really surprised no one has done this yet.

Comment

I don't think it is the stats (at least not totally). The stats have become the lame duck for the whole community to blame for every single issue. When it comes to mods the problem is the players. There are none and the reason is they haven't been good and/or different enough compared to BF2.
                              The modmakers can blame stats or the lack of tools for modding and they have some merit but it comes down is the lack of real change/improvement and quality. There are enough players who don't care about stats/played BF mods in the past/want something new that a good mod will ride high no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                              X