Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To what extent external help is acceptable?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To what extent external help is acceptable?

Alright already....stop the flaming!!!! There should be nothing wrong with using Powestrip to adjust the brightness level of any game especially BF2, because the lighting changes drastically from map to map. Using anything to alter hardware should never be an issue, especially if it is aiding someone in enjoying and being able to play the game!! He is obviously not hacking with it, so relax!!

If you guys are so hell bent on hardware adjustments, then go flame every person out there that has used any program what so ever to overclock their CPU, GPU, or alter their RAM settings. Bet you would lose 3/4 of all the BF2 players if you did that!!!

I've said my two cents worth, so I support Spainard and him using Powestrip to enjoy this awesome game (with all its bugs and glitches)

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
      You know, I don't understand what the sour-grapes attitude with you is about. The original post says nothing about you, or your post. Yet you come out of the corner swinging like you actually have something to defend.
      I've got to say i can understand why the spaniard sounds so aggressive. He posted what he thought was some helpful advice and has been insulted ever since. OK - i agree that he might have been better off taking a calmer approach and he has misinterpreted some peoples posts but after been called "mentally retarded" and "ghay" (when did it become acceptable to use such words as insults?) what do you expect.

I would have thought some moderation would have been better rather than another attack.

Comment

If Powerstrip does nothing more than allow normal settings to be altered from within the game, I don't see how banning its use would make any sense.

To people who complain about performance modifications like overclocking RAM and GPUs: you might as well assume the "offender" has purchased better hardware, because that's what it amounts to.

Besides, everyone playing should have the minimum requirements. Beyond what allows you to play smoothly, it's all extras. Of course, if Dice designed the game to be played more efficiently with higher geometry and lighting settings that require better hardware to be used properly, that's their mistake, though I have to admit it's a serious one...

Comment

I'm not sure i would agree its a mistake. Would not the alternative be to produce a game that had graphics at a lower standard than was possible? I think they would receive a lot more criticism for that.

There may of course be alternatives that have not occured to me....

Comment

The standards might be designed to encourage hardware upgrades.

Granted, innovation and technological improvements inevitably lead to more visually appealing games that require increasingly powerful components, but once designers have a baseline, they can design their games properly. In this case, I don't think they did...

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
              I was checking a topic about the Lightning in Dragon Valley and a poster said he used a program called PowerStrip which can control some video card settings (brightness and gamma for example). I think it is this one:

http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Some people said it is gay and he could or should get reset. Now, I don't use it, but I think there is nothing wrong with that, as you could accomplish the same with default video card software (Catalyst for example) or using your monitor controls.

Now, stuff like RedDot or any sort of macros IMO offer an unfair disadvantage over common players because that is not something you can do "naturally"...

Any official position from EA or the ROE guys?
              EDIT: What about a on-screen clock? (so I dont need to mentally count the seconds left for the enemy to respawn?)
              Look, if it's not a macros which changes the actual intended functions in the game (such as accuracy, recoil, shot speed, reload speed, running speed or anything of that nature), then I think it's alright.

I mean, what are they gonna do next? report me for drawing a dot for a crosshair on my screen with a marker? changing my controls so I switch to my grenades faster? putting on music that psyches me up and in some way or manner improves my KDR coz I'm just THAT much better with music I like in the background?

Comment

Originally posted by Sloi
                The standards might be designed to encourage hardware upgrades.

Granted, innovation and technological improvements inevitably lead to more visually appealing games that require increasingly powerful components, but once designers have a baseline, they can design their games properly. In this case, I don't think they did...
                I see the point you are making, I'm just not sure that this would ever happen. To design a game that uses up to date techology and yet offers no advantage to a player with the best hardware?

Having said this, BF2 is the first online game I have ever played and so I have no point of reference.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sloi]If Powerstrip does nothing more than allow normal settings to be altered from within the game, I don't see how banning its use would make any sense. ]

My, my, don't you change sides of the fence quickly?

First you want me pensioned off to an unranked server, then it's pointed out to you that these 'intelligent' comments you make could easily be misconstrued, but still you rabbit on, digging ever deeper holes and
                  eventually backpeddling faster than a unicyclist.

You then had to chime in to defend the guy who has nearly 2000 posts
                  (virtually content free) even though the comment wasn't directed at you.

If that is being a 'troll' I suggest your redefinition of the word would be
                  unacceptable to most. Perhaps if he spent more time practising guitar
                  than posting trash here he'd be up with his heroes Metallica.

My initial post was trying to defend using what I innocently thought
                  was a valid aid to people with visual impairment. I don't see why I should then
                  be subject to highly personal attacks without a means to defend my position.

As for going back to the retirement home, yes I'm retired, but in a
                  beautiful villa overlooking the Mediterranean. I retired at 50, so perhaps
                  not quite as stupid as you would like to make me out. I've travelled and worked the world, and don't need to be given any lessons on life by
                  someone like you who would appear to be a legend in their own mind,
                  and has probably never strayed far beyond their own backyard, or if you
                  have it certainly doesn't show.

As a final word, thanks for the moral support from what I now see as the
                  majority of posters, it's very much appreciated, particularly from the
                  guy in Hertfordshire. Trust a Brit to come to the rescue.

Take care.

=AAF=TheSpaniard.

Comment

Originally posted by =AAF=TheSpaniard
                    Originally posted by Sloi
                    If Powerstrip does nothing more than allow normal settings to be altered from within the game, I don't see how banning its use would make any sense. ]

My, my, don't you change sides of the fence quickly?
                    I never changed sides: re-read my post a few times and let it sink in. My post was concerned specifically with performance-enhancing applications giving players an unfair advantage over others: you're simply confused because I didn't refer to the original poster's intended software questions. We both made a mistake.

I'm not expending any more energy attempting to reason with you. Speaking of which, weren't you leaving us?

Originally posted by =AAF=TheSpaniard
                    My initial post was trying to defend using what I innocently thought
                    was a valid aid to people with visual impairment. I don't see why I should then
                    be subject to highly personal attacks without a means to defend my position.
                    ... and I have absolutely no problem with you using a program that allows you to change the lighting in BF2 if all it does is modify standard system settings. It's sad that others attacked you for that, but I don't recall ever doing so.

Originally posted by Giantbstard
                    I see the point you are making, I'm just not sure that this would ever happen. To design a game that uses up to date techology and yet offers no advantage to a player with the best hardware?

Having said this, BF2 is the first online game I have ever played and so I have no point of reference.
                    I can see adding benefits for single-player components or games, but multiplayer is a different story. I agree that it's all easier said than done though...

Comment

I'm still amazed by the analogy of ranked servers to competion shooting. I look at the ranked servers as being like paying penny-ante poker with friends, a casual competion with the points just serving to make the game interesting. A serious BF2 competion would be a formal tournament IMHO. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it, just that it's a mindset totally different from my own.

Comment

God this board gets worse... A guy of 61 years of age as problems with his eye sight, so he uses a little tool to ajust the contrast and brightness a little to help him play, and people are calling for hardware bans etc.

Ive never heard anything so retarded in all my life....

And as for people comparing the ranking system to something like the Olympics, man u need to get out more there just E-points, what ever happened to fun. Unless someones using a blatant hack i really don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Spils
                          And as for people comparing the ranking system to something like the Olympics, man u need to get out more there just E-points, what ever happened to fun. Unless someones using a blatant hack i really don't care.
                          Oh god... and I was starting to worry that my stats would be reset if someone finds out I'm using speed, ice, coke, steroids, coffee and sugar when I play BF2. Phew... lol :laugh:.

Comment

Way to take my analogy too seriously. Have you considered that it may simply be inadequate?

Comment

Originally posted by metallicaguitrst
                              OMG what is the world coming to...
                              He's 61 years old....

Comment

This has been going on this long? I'm ashamed.

Comment

Working...
                                X