• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how to get a good commander

Originally posted by Drunken_x_Boxer
    Practice in singleplayer.

lol - how do you practice commanding in singleplayer mode? :laugh:

kind of like practicing chess by yourself?

in all seriousness though, the one thing about this game is that it's impossible to account for the noob response you might get from other players. 99% of the people that play this game are great and are fun to play with. the other 1% however help keep forums going because they give everyone endless amounts of things to complain about. sounds like you ran into that 1% and i would think anything more of it. find a different server and practice there during a round. everyone started with 0 points in this game and gradually got better. this happens with practice and that's all you were doing.

Comment

Originally posted by boxman80
      The worst servers are the ones that say commanders should just sit still in a quiet corner of a map. THis is fine, and i agree in certain respects, a commanders primary focus is to command the team, fair enough. But I also like to be usefulto my team and deffend a flag, commander toys, or even vital partsof the map (such as the bridges in Karkand).
      :salute:

You know, I feel your pain, because there are times when the commander can really contribute to the tide of the game. When you are going around cleaning out the enemy tickets, it can help immensely. The commanders job is not to be at the front of the fight, but there is nothing wrong with a commander that is on the move, cleaning out the rogue, lonewolf that will turn a flag in the back and change the course of the round.

Personally, I have taken out a whole squad several times that roll up on a flag in a vodnik. A couple well placed grenades and fast rifle action can make a world of difference.

Originally posted by namvet70
      Rocket Child :

I am sure that some can "run and gun" as commander. I can't...I try to use all the 5 components as soon as they cycle up. If this is done, there is time for little else.... I have seen many try it and fail. In a close game it is generally foolish. Just IMHO. Good for you.

BTW, I have 117 hours as commander , and 17,617 points as commander.

Larry
      Tell you what Larry, it is a hard to juggle, and I don't do it ALL the time. I pick and choose my fights. There are times when we are kicking *** and taking names, and I can sit back and camp in a jeep far away from the Arty. The trick to it is being a very strong infantry player that can handle two-three people in a firefight. If you can hold your own against a couple OK players, and come out alive, it is fine.

You just have to have good timing. You need to be able to listen very well for that UAV. The second you hear it stop churping, you need to place it again, and if you are close to the front lines, you dont even need to pull up the command screen, just look and use the Comm-rose to place (best to point at a high-building in the area). You have to pick good spots to pull up the command screen. If you can hear a grenade go off, you are in a bad spot. Often, you need to find a discreet doorframe to tuck into when you pull up the command screen.

There are always plenty of reminders around, you hear arty drop, you check to see if it is up. You pan across the screen and you see the enemy's assest destroyed, a light bulb should go off that you need to check the queue to see what is up. Also, it helps when you are always talking to your squads and reminding them that you have stuff available.

When you look at the minimap, be aware of spawn points that do not have vehicles and if there are teammates in the area, because you can always drop vehicles for them.

It is a different mindset, and people that don't like commanders fighting because they have see bad examples of people whom were not qualified to perform at that level. Not everyone is cut out to be a CEO or a NFL running back, same with running and gunning as a commander.

The only value to it is just to help tip the scales if the game is dead even and you are 100% confident that you can get more kills then deaths. If you are going to rack up more deaths, then you are wasting team tickets. Personally, I can still average about 15-20 kills as a running commander in a round, just because I always find sneaky bastards that break through the line on foot.

Practice it sometime...the best places are on 16 player maps, where your help fighting really counts. On full 64 player maps, it might be wiser to sit back and command, because their commander most likely is in his command screen the whole round.

Comment

I tinker with the command mode, and while I have the basics down, I am by no means an expert.

I do find that in addition to what most of the gang have posted, the following help me though:

1. Spot your drops in 3-d (i.e. zoom right in). Some players are precise enough to give good indication when requesting, but often on city maps or the like, your crate goes onto a roof when you wanted it in the alley, or vice versa. Also, crates right in the middle of a contested intersection help no one, and usually get destroyed before anyone gets to use them.

NOTE: Snipers will love you for a crate on the roof (or a crane if you are lucky), but if it gives away their hide, it helps no one.

2. Drop vehicles behind cover. A car in the middle of a Field of chopper fire is equally useless.

3. Don't spam the spotted command, but think one or two steps ahead of your squads. If they are taking a flag and getting snuck up on, obviously spot the enemy. If they are done and moving on, spot the path ahead, and UAV just before they arrive.

Spotting campers at the helipad/airstrip when your crew is just making the beach is useless and disruptive.

4. Watch for the other commander. He's the blip on the scan that never moves (kinda like you, so keep that in mind). I love to artillery my opposing commander when he is accessible just to piss him off. Kind of a "I see you", "How's your Mother?".

5. And in small maps and/or maps with fewer than 20 players, the commander really must play a fighting role. At least camp near your assets as an engineer with a vehicle (rules permitting), so you can auto repair stuff that gets sapped.

And don't lie down in the vicinity of the assets without cover. When I play as SF, I LOVE to go commander hunting after I blow his s-hit up. Just the ultimate cherry on the sundae of good times.

Comment

camping in a jeep as a commander, I get it.

but why do commanders often camp in bradleys? I am always walking up to a bradley and he is sitting in it under the shade. It would help if he let me have it. no?

Comment

Originally posted by hobiecatter

but why do commanders often camp in bradleys? I am always walking up to a bradley and he is sitting in it under the shade. It would help if he let me have it. no?
            Jump in and use the Comm-Rose to say get out. If he doesn't hit him with the TOW/C4 to wake him up

Comment

good idea, I grabbed a tank that was right next to him and asked if he would trade me. no reply.

I wouldn't want to TK him though. I didn't want it that bad. but I have seen this a few times. commanders hanging out in tanks and bradleys.

Comment

I dont mind if my commander is fighting, but I hate when he is in a jet, you are sure as sh*t not to get any help from him

Comment

commanders in bradleys are people who are after their AA badges...the arty kills count towards them...but they should give them up when asked.
                  I've sat in them ,and other vehicles,many a time but only to stop the enemy from stealing it and using it against us,they have to blow me up to get me out of it but at least it stops them taking the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by *BS*Gun Slinger
                    ...especially if they are in a tank war and CANT ask for it because they got their hands full...
                    I command alot. I also am a decent helo pilot. The key to becoming good at any job, be it a pilot, a gunner or a driver, is communication. This means playing as a team voicing commands in your squad chat. Being on the radio is a must if you are part of a team. A commander is no different.

Granted some players will ignore you, but as a clan, 20-40% of your server population is just cannon fodder.

The commander is the bridge between squad leaders and thier units. If squad members are communicating to the squad leader who is then communicating with the commander, then your clan will lay ruin to the other team, or at least make the other team work for thier win.

I can not stress this fact enough. VOIP > Radial voice commands. Its Voip or lose imo.

This is a good plan... Use vent/ts for a global command chat (I use vent as a commander where I can talk to every clan member, weahter or not they are a sqaud leader or member) and use the ingame squad radio to communicate to your pilot/gunner.

Sqauds are a must for the helo/planes and voip is the key to victory. I can not tell you how many deaths I have as a chopper pilot because my gunner refuses to join my sqaud or doesnt have active voip. If I cant tell you an enemy helo is on us and Im giving him the shot... what good are you to me?

Comment

Originally posted by rockster
                      lol - how do you practice commanding in singleplayer mode? :laugh:

kind of like practicing chess by yourself?
                      Umm if your completely new to the game its a lot better to familiarize yourself with the commader options in singleplayer than in MP.

Duh...

Comment

-dont arty unless your team requests it, or you are certain that no friendlies will spawn, or be transported to that location.

-fill requests

-only spot when its absolutly vital info, and only do it once per target

-dont be an assaulting or vehicle using commander, find a safe place, and command.

-dont give orders that the squad is already doing, nor ones that are out of reach for that squad.

after you get better you will be able to:

-spot a broken arrow arty situation and to spot static enemy forces.

-drop supplys ahead of armor, where you see an armored conflict forming

-see a lack of transportation and fill it with vehicle drops

-properly deploy uavs in the highest threat enviornments

-spot swimmers or unchecked enemy forces

-repair your own assets with your own wrench

-communicate with your squads leaders via voip, to better coordinate

-defend your capturable main bases

Comment

On a side note about communication...

Having the proper tools on your desk can help you in the game. Like have a G5 mouse. You can bind these keys so with one hand you can crouch, go prone, use a push to talk key and so forth.

If you are a helo pilot like myself, investing in some joysticks is a great idea. I have taken helo piloting to the extreme in bf2. I have dual joysticks (saitek st290s) and a saitek footpad. I have total control over my vehicle and I can still communicate with my clan/squad/commander with out ever having to stop and think about it.

Of course not everyone can be special like me, but you can try.

Comment

any 5 button mouse can be used like that. my mx500 does that stuff just fine.

as for joysticks, i swapped my yaw with my roll, and i can control air vehicles very well with my mouse.

oh and one thing, wtf does any of that have to do with commanding?

Comment

lol, was wondering that myself.

he is also the first person I've heard of using a foot pedal for his vehicle in BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by hobiecatter

but why do commanders often camp in Bradley's? I am always walking up to a Bradley and he is sitting in it under the shade. It would help if he let me have it. no?
                                I have camped armor as commander before when the opponent commander has a penchant for artying or bombing my location, or when the enemy likes to come steal our jets and attack helos.

SOMETIMES, a safe commander is more valuable than a rookie in a tank, and not all maps have reliable overhead cover. I agree that you should never monopolize the only tank/AA on a map though.

A static commander is not hard to find. (The non-moving red dot in base usually is a good place to start).

Comment

Working...
                                X