IO and Your Thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IO and Your Thoughts...

IMO IO mdoe is great. i love the chaos of bullets flying around you while you try and take flags. yeah its true its pretty much all medics snieprs and support, but i dont care, because i like the fast paced chaos. i tihnk IO mdoe is a better simulattion of urban combat and real battles because of all the people in 1 area. the only thing i would like to see less of is nade spamming. also, anyone who thinks that IO mode is just like CS are wrong. its nothing like CS, its better than CS. im really happy with patch 1.4 despite some things not getting fixed that should have been 4-5 patches ago. one thing that i think would be really fun is an armor only mode.

Comment

I have played IO mostly on the new Jalalabad map and loved it! A few rounds on a 16 player Karkand and it was fun also.
      I am enjoying not having to run around as AT most of the time or dealing with jets and attack choppers.
      Unfortunatley, I can see the future trend on the larger 32/64 player maps is gonna be nade spamming and too many snipers. Also, If you are ranked above Major , watch out...they tend to single you out in a group for the first target LOL. I was running around in a squad of six and was almost always the first dropped in the Jalalabad chaos.
      Fun stuff, but as I mentioned I hope the support guys (nade spamming) and snipers dont ruin it.

Comment

Played IO on mashtuur last night and it sucked pretty bad.

The map is too big and too spread out and had WAY too many snipers. just my opinion.

SF maps is where IO shines.

Comment

Since everyone's tossing their 'what would make IO better' hat into the ring, I may as well repost the suggestions I made in another thread on the matter (which most people probably didn't see because it wasn't an IO thread to start with ):

•Since the only vehicles that would be there would be unarmed ones and the only way to kill someone with one would be to run them over, you really wouldn't get much use out of an AT rocket (not to mention how the buggy hit detection usually causes rockets to go clean through speeding Vodniks and FAVs anyway), and by the same token since the only vehicles that would be around would be transport which, I'm assuming, would be fairly plentiful there wouldn't be much need for repairing them. Therefore, I would combine AT and Engineer classes into the 'Vehicle' class. Give them both AT mines and AT rockets, keep the wrench, take away the body armour, and give them a choice of weapon loadouts between shotguns (engineer default) or SMGs (AT default). With no vehicles there'd be no need for this class at all, but with just light vehicles there's no need for two anti-vehicle classes with short-ranged infantry weapons, so they would need more perks to make them a desirable class. Combining the two would do the trick.
          •Combine Assault and Medic, and take away their ability to revive teammates. Give them body armour. Medic already is, essentially, the pseudo-assault class anyway, so why not make it official? Just give them body armour and call it done, but take away the ability to resurrect teammates in battle. This would put more emphasis on keeping the squad leader alive and also prevent it from being an overpowered class (which medic is in IO mode, no use denying it).
          •Combine Spec Ops and Sniper class, giving them both C4 and claymores and allow them to choose between either a carbine or a sniper rifle. Basically make this the sabotage class, but make claymores both destructable by explosives again and make them FF-on only. For shorter-visibility maps like Karkand people would choose the carbines and for longer-ranged maps they would probably choose the sniper rifle.
          •Keep support the same as it is now, but allow them to deploy their LMG as a mounted MG. I've mentioned this idea before a LONG time ago (back when LMGs were still ridiculously inaccurate) and I still think it would have merit, even moreso in an IO mode. The LMG could be on a tripod and have a full 360° motion, but unlike the typical mounted MG it only has one full clip on it and has to be resupplied via ammo pack before it can be reloaded. When deployed (which would take about 5 seconds to prevent it from being abused by having it an instant thing) ANYONE can use it and it has the same accuracy/recoil as a regular mounted MG would, but the support trooper wouldn't be able to use his LMG until he picks it back up again. Like how mortars worked in BF:V. Combining this with my insta-prone suggestion (below) would make support a defensive class only as they're intended, but a damned good one, and wouldn't step on assault/medic's toes at all.
          •Take away supply crates. This makes people rely on their teammates for ammo and health, and commander assets would need to be better protected (also giving another need for the Vehicle class).
          •Reduce the splash radius on hand grenades. This would instantly cut down on many of the complaints about nade spam. Splash radius on hand nades should be reduced to just a little larger than what a GL nade is right now.
          •Reduce the amount of cone-of-fire/deviation on all guns across the board, barring the standing/crouching deviation of LMGs which would be fine as it is now. If guns were more accurate there would also be less need for nade spam since the guns themselves would be more lethal.
          •Eliminate insta-prone accuracy. When you hit the prone key, your accuracy will be the same as that as if you were jumping (back when you could still jump and shoot) for about 2-3 seconds and it will then settle down into the best possible accuracy. BF1942 and BF:V veterans will remember this feature well. Proning would only be used as a defensive position, not a 'come-around-the-corner-and-belly-flop-against-someone-5-feet-away' position.

Some of the class combination features I believe are occurring in BF2142 (correct me if I'm wrong, though...I haven't read much on BF2142 TBH) but in a mode where a big chunk of the initial BF2 game has been taken out there isn't as much need for class diversity, so I think we could do with just 4 classes.

Just a few of my thoughts. Of course, it goes without saying that it would be great if they could reduce hit detection errors and shabby netcode, but that's probably a whole other story.

~Wolfgang

Comment

The new Jalalabad map is great but where is Osama bin Lando?

Allah Akbar

Comment

if you don't like IO don't play it. just like i don't like jets in the game so i don't go on air maps. it's that easy, and quit telling people to play another game. all this whinning isn't going to make EA pull the IO. IO is here to stay.

i can't say if i like IO yet since i've only played the new map IO.

as far as karkand- before 1.4 i always went for first flag on foot. so nothing will change for me in IO karkand.

you know what i think would help IO a lot is if the flags where all gray but the mains or if the flags where split 50/50 on the big maps. then groups would be more split up and not two walls of teams.

Comment

it is nothing more than legfalized statpadding... but that does not mean it isnt fun as hell. i for one like it to a certain degree.

Comment

Such crap and fodder in here. The USMC can crack a flag in IO Karkand in a heartbeat. There are too many chances to get through.

Stop drinking your bathwater and get in a few real games on a decent server and save the fairy tales to bash the fun everyones having.

Vehicles junkies are in an uproar because all the players that are left that dont play any IO are teammates that prefer the e key to get the dominant equipment. Sitting at the uncap or carrier instead of playing the game and helping cap flags. I think its great they will see an increase in AT and engineer classes in the regular vanilla servers.

Comment

Long live IO!

Don't believe the anti-IO hype on this board - it's a blast and there's a lot more teamwork than these whining vehicle whores would want you to believe.

People talk about IO being stat-padding, but they're got it 180 degrees wrong. Yes, there are more snipers, and yes, that’s a natural part of infantry combat. When it’s man-vs-man, the guy who hits first generally wins. And sniper rifles allow you to hit first.

IO isn’t stat-padding: Real stat padding is what happens when someone earns their expert Anti-Tank badge while flying the J10, or gets that expert medic combat badge by gunning in the MEC chopper on Sharqi at the TV tower spawn. Neither situation has anything to do with the badges conferred. Nada, zip, zilch. No skill, no pride. Just stat-padding. If there were pilot-only classes, I wouldn't say that. But allowing pilots to earn non-pilot awards by piloting is idiotic in the extreme.

Now there is actually a chance to play the game like a foot soldier, and to work with your squaddies, instead of trying to run through the bodies piled around the spawn-camping vehicles, trying to escape so you can go and cap a flag elsewhere while dodging artillery and Vodniks raining down on your head.

Face the facts, pilots, tankers, and APC spawn-rapists: nobody ever liked you, and we're so glad to be rid of you now.

Why? It wasn’t just the miserable KDRs we had to endure. It wasn’t just the fun for us of having invincible airplanes pounding anything that moved on the ground. It wasn’t even the joy of being stat-padded by the enemy commander’s artillery that we missed, although it was enjoyable to know that our useless and unavoidable spawn-raped-by-artillery deaths were helping him to earn his Expert Ground Defense while sitting in an MG position, yelling at himself on the other side of the map.

No, we’re glad you’re gone because you were selfish. You were never team players in the first place, you were just using everyone on foot as easy kills. And it wasn’t just the enemy, you went wild killing your own team, if they stood in the way of you getting “your J10” or “your MI-28”.

Pilots and tankers were by far the worst people for team-kills, and the vehicles were such a gold mine of effortless points they fueled a frenzy of TKs and abusive kicks by admins, everyone was salivating over their next airplane or helo. Half the team stood around the whole round, fighting over spawning helos and aircraft. Even tanks. It was pathetic.

Was that teamwork? Were those people concerned about helping their team? It’s always been just about the points for those guys. And now they whine because we don’t have to be their victims and give them free points any longer.

Now that we have IO, we have an escape from the 14 year old spawn rapists and J10 stat-padders.

Now it's time for the real team players, the guys who actually like to get in a squad and play some hard core infantry warfare, to leave you to your 24/7 Wake/Dalian a.k.a. Chinese Airforce Statpadding servers. People will drift away from those Vehicle Whore Paradises now, and they will discover how much fun the game can be, without being fodder for vehicles the whole round. Enjoy playing with your toys, ever fewer people, and eventually, all alone, whining about the good old days when you used to go 67:4 on 24/7 Wake.

Or better yet, why not join an IO server and see how easy it is to go 37:1 when you’re actually running and gunning for once?

Comment

blue bunny i love your sig

Bak to the topic..... I think its pretty cool. You don't have to worry about a tank when you are capturing a flag.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBunny63
                        Long live IO!

Don't believe the anti-IO hype on this board - it's a blast and there's a lot more teamwork than these whining vehicle whores would want you to believe.
                        More teamwork? Tailoring the game so that at least three of the seven classes are now useless and bringing out the fact that medics are grossly overpowered in the infantry department allowing everyone to spawn as medic without being kept in check is considered 'more teamwork'? More teamwork than having to get help from your squadmates to take out an opposing enemy vehicle? More teamwork than having one of your squadmates in a helicopter and spotting out enemy ground vehicles for them to destroy so your squad can safely move past it? More teamwork than having a couple of AT in your squad to deal with enemy armour threats? More teamwork indeed...

Now there is actually a chance to play the game like a foot soldier, and to work with your squaddies, instead of trying to run through the bodies piled around the spawn-camping vehicles, trying to escape so you can go and cap a flag elsewhere while dodging artillery and Vodniks raining down on your head.
                        In other words, now BF2 has been made just like every other run-and-gun FPS where every person can deal with every threat at any time without forethought to which kit to choose instead of the war-type game with modern equipment, vehicles, and weaponry set in a real-life environment where there are threats bigger than themselves that may require teamwork to counter?

Face the facts, pilots, tankers, and APC spawn-rapists: nobody ever liked you, and we're so glad to be rid of you now.

Why? It wasn’t just the miserable KDRs we had to endure. It wasn’t just the fun for us of having invincible airplanes pounding anything that moved on the ground. It wasn’t even the joy of being stat-padded by the enemy commander’s artillery that we missed, although it was enjoyable to know that our useless and unavoidable spawn-raped-by-artillery deaths were helping him to earn his Expert Ground Defense while sitting in an MG position, yelling at himself on the other side of the map.
                        You're worried about be 'stat-padded' by the enemy, and worried about them getting badges, and worried about your KDR. Stats, stats, stats. Gee, someone who is 100% for IO mode is obsessed with stats? What a shock!

No, we’re glad you’re gone because you were selfish. You were never team players in the first place, you were just using everyone on foot as easy kills. And it wasn’t just the enemy, you went wild killing your own team, if they stood in the way of you getting “your J10” or “your MI-28”.
                        Way to make two gross generalisations in the same sentence. I'm sure there were teamkilling smacktards on vehicle servers but I almost never saw them myself and that was on the EA official US servers (probably the most 'public' of servers you could ever hope to find). And then you say that everyone on foot was just 'easy kills', meaning you obviously never met a smart infantry player/AT player (or was one yourself) who knew how to seek cover from vehicles and use terrain to their advantage. Now you're free to walk down the middle of the street without having to look both ways in case a tank might be there.

Was that teamwork? Were those people concerned about helping their team? It’s always been just about the points for those guys. And now they whine because we don’t have to be their victims and give them free points any longer.
                        For someone who claims to be so interested in teamwork you certainly seem to be quite concerned with other peoples' points.

Now it's time for the real team players, the guys who actually like to get in a squad and play some hard core infantry warfare, to leave you to your 24/7 Wake/Dalian a.k.a. Chinese Airforce Statpadding servers. People will drift away from those Vehicle Whore Paradises now, and they will discover how much fun the game can be, without being fodder for vehicles the whole round. Enjoy playing with your toys, ever fewer people, and eventually, all alone, whining about the good old days when you used to go 67:4 on 24/7 Wake.
                        That's weird, because there were tanks and planes in BF1942 and BF:V, and yet despite that people bought BF2 knowing full well there still would be vehicles. Hmmm...maybe because before people were so concerned about their KDRs they actually played, I don't know, for fun and to win the match. Oh, and there were always people who would TK for aircraft, even back in the earlier games, before there were stats to pad, simply because some people are just naturally selfish arseholes. If you think IO is going to cure them of that or somehow weed them out of the mix you're in for quite a surprise (hint: arseholes will always find a way to be arseholes...if nothing else they are ingenious ).

Oh, and :laugh: @ 'hard core infantry warfare'. Which part is 'hard core', exactly? The insta-prone accuracy that causes people to belly flop 5 feet away from you? The random cone of fire? The macro users? The unreliable 'stab-with-a-knife-four-times-and-kick-up-dust hit detection? The hideous imbalance of class selection? Yes, definitely 'hard core'.

Or better yet, why not join an IO server and see how easy it is to go 37:1 when you’re actually running and gunning for once?
                        Nah, more fun to play the full game I paid $50 for instead of a version that only includes one or two maps and none of the 30 vehicles advertised on the back of the box, and only 3 (maybe 4) of the 7 classes included. Or even better yet, I think I'll just take out the disc and stare at it instead. That way I'll NEVER die and I can keep my KDR (which is, of course, the only reason I play BF2) 1337:1!

~Wolfgang

Comment

i like it, but just like anything they put out for bf2 i will go back to the good old plain bf2. As far as nade spamming goes and all the medic geos, still there when we have tanks..i try to play the smaller maps.Feels nice to run down the road and not have a bomb drop on you.

Comment

It's now a level playing field, no longer can you turn on "God Mode" with your e key.

I bought a joystick a few days ago (probably bad timing) and I have to say queing for planes shows what is really ruining this game, the tk's and the moaning for jet stealing is ********. IO is like a gentlemans club when compared to the real point whores.

Comment

I've just had fun playing IO on 16 player maps with 40 players; Kubra, Mashtuur, Sharqi, Karkand, and Jalalabad. However I did miss the chaos of artillery strikes, vehicles trying to run me over, and hiding from tanks. Quite frankly, IO is definitely easy mode. I'm not a great player, but I was in the medals for three rounds, and bar one round in the top five. KDRs were anywhere from 3-1 to 15-1... Too easy if you play smart. IO is a nice change from vanilla, but I feel it's also a sanctuary for the victims in this world who cannot cope with the challenges vanilla BF2 provides. I wonder what excuses all the poor players who blame their regular deaths and poor KDRs on tanks, arty and aircraft will come up with now? IO is now man to man and those sucking players who moan about "wh0res" and artillery still suck....
                              I'm not an IO convert, it's an alternative, but for me, regular BF is still were it's at.

Comment

Originally posted by Flares
                                I wonder what excuses all the poor players who blame their regular deaths and poor KDRs on tanks, arty and aircraft will come up with now?
                                Grenades are overpowered, anyone?! :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                                X