Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POE 2 review

Originally posted by [ht].ken
    It's definitely more stragety based then bf2...you have to have a squad that knows wtf they're doing. Accuracy and deviation are on point when prone and zoomed in with the iron sights, just like it should be. Helo's are great, although people hog them but what else is new. The arty is still confusing me.... :hmm: .
    maybe this can help: http://www.pointofexistence.com/pns/PN/html/

Comment

I played POE2 last night for a bout an hour.

This was way over hyped, plain and simple. The weapon models are beautiful, no doubt there.

The Gameplay seems exactly like BF2, but faster vehicles and more powerfull weapons. Other than that, feels like vanilla.

The maps are nice, some of them drag along, with too much distance between flags if your a ground pounder. I didnt play them all though.

POE2 is so in bed with DICE\EA, so much for making the game better, lol. I love the oodles of advertising onthier site now. Hypernia is the only link that would work for there torrent, casue they want the traffic to all go there (nice one for your sponsor guys, lol). The EA\DICE logo on the pages is a nice touch, lol.

THe sounds were easily the let down. The staff here swore they were the most amazing thing ever. How many people are part of this conspiracy?

I played if for about an hour, then went to play F.E.A.R online. Great first round guys, but the hype was crazy and just didnt hold up IMO. This fealt like an EA expansion pack, that kicks ***, but not the MOD I have been waiting for. It will probably be uninstalled ofr now.

Comment

It is a bit too hyped imo, Vanilla just seems right to me (I try to look beyond server crashes), this one is ok, but it doesnt make much sense that the best weapon is the sniper rifle, its an accurate SVD and an equivalent on the other side, just crouch and u can kill aabout 5 people in a clip and theyre all running right at you.

Comment

I've enjoyed it so far, a lot more then vanilla for the simple fact you have to work together. lone wolves get killed quick. That goes for armor as well infantry. Very good balance so far. AA is effective, and with a pick up stinger kit, it means heli pilots really need to be on their toes. Weapon accuracy and power is great. And in every game so far, everyone is squading up and working together. First game I played on Oben(sp?) the two squads on our side were "squad hopping" in the conventional sense, where one squad covers the other as they advance. The next round was the winter armor heavy map (don't know the name.) Same thing, a couple of us formed an armor column, the chopper guy did his job and covered our flanks while the AA tank kept the enemy chopper off us.

The down side is, there IS a learning curve. If you're expecting to jump right in and pwn from the first round, think again. Squad up, cover your buddy's back and you'll pick things up as you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Area51
            Unloaded full clips into guys from close range (saw the blood splat) and they lived to kill me while I reloaded. Nailed a jeep with a tank round, he sped off just like BF2. Hit a tank with 3 tank rounds, and he proceeded to one shot me. I just don't get it. This mod is just different weapons, same arcade gameplay. Playing AT feels like BF1942, fire the rocket and watch it drop like a rock, take a tank round to the forehead.
            I've noticed the same. The anti-air missiles in the helicopters are hit or miss...mainly miss. Out of 4 usually only 1 actually hits, the ground missiles in the helicopters don't even turn...it has to be a straight shot IF you even get a lock (which is rare).

It just seems like they got the list backwards on what to overpower or underpower.

Comment

Pro:
              - Nice looking small-arms models. Truly top-notch work there!
              - It's an alternative to BF2
              - Snow maps - kewl!
              - Small-arms accuracy better
              - Good attempt to get the "Jerry Bruckheimerr" hero-music on intros and stuff
              - Nice to get rid of some of the idiot commander functions
              - Great to have some more skill-based arty and collaboration instad of the moronic click-on-map arty
              - Nice "polished" release but in terms of music, intro, meus etc. - but also a great release-strategy with enough DL's to provide many players the mod.

CON:
              - Color scheme too dark - can't see well enough.
              - Vehicles taking damage just driving around the terrain for no reason
              - MBTs can't climb a damn
              - You can still do the retard dolphin-diving and everyone does that crap still
              - Sprint is too excessive yet again - CQB is dominated by jumpers, divers and sprinters and that is mistake that should've been learned after 1+ year of BF2
              - Sounds are not properly proportioned. Gun sounds and voices tooo loud comared to everything else and it drowns out what need to hear
              - Silenced small-arms too dominant. They appear to be too good.
              - Too many dreary forest-maps. Forests look nice, but with the color-scheme and the haze, it turns things into the usual twitch-game.
              - Anti-vehicle rifle has glitchy sound and you can't hear it well enough at distance which is bad because it's so powerful.
              - The whole ammo-selection for the MBT's doesn't really come across very well. Doesn't add anything but more management to the game and gives the MBT's too many rounds overall.
              - Some maps less than "inspired" with too much of the same terrain all over.

Conclusion:
              All in all, nice to have something that is NOT vanilla BF2. However, the mod doesn't distinguish itself enough to make a lasting impression. It quickly becomes "more of the same" and gameplay seems oh so very similar to BF2 - and that is a shame, considering the effort and care that has gone into it.

An A for effort, a B- for the design-decisions.

Cheers :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Angeldust.[n]
                Playing AT feels like BF1942,

thats a good thing.

it feels like DC/BfV, which is really a good thing..

Some good large scale armour battles like in DC/42

Its what Bf2 should have been in the 1st place
                Best of all, for the most part, BF2's random cone of fire is gone. I never liked that noob equalizer feature and is the reason I could never got into BF2 the way I did with '42 and BFV.

The sounds in POE2 are simply amazing and the game plays so much smoother. My fps went for 40-60 in BF2 to 90+ on POE2.

I've only played for about 3-4 hours and still haven't tried a tiny fraction of all the features in POE2. I have only seen 3 of the 13 maps.

I haven't yet played in Nuke mode which pits Germany trying to take down Ukraine’s nuclear missiles. The mode is based on a time (Set by server admins) and Germany must rush against the clock to take out the missile before its too late.
                Nor have I played Objective mode where the idea here is to either blow something up or defend against somebody trying to blow something up.

Choppers no longer determine wins on maps, they are now vulnerable to AA and tanks have true smoke counter measures, so they have a chance now to fight back against missles.
                Passive radar allows you to track the enemy without them even knowing until it's to late.

Learning all over again how to use the arty, when an arty strike has been spotted for you.
                This is the way BF2 should've been made.

There is simply so much to this mod that realistically it's going to take me a good week or two just to try everything once. At least it will be fun

Comment

Guys, the game has only been out for a day.

A DAY.

how about you play it for a reasonable amount of time and I garauntee you half your problems will go away.

Comment

Originally posted by |D|-Crazycanuck
                    Best of all, for the most part, BF2's random cone of fire is gone. I never liked that noob equalizer feature and is the reason I could never got into BF2 the way I did with '42 and BFV.
                    Indeed the omission of the random cone of fire is definitely one of the best features of the mod. Of course to compensate for that every weapon has much more noticable recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by |D|-Crazycanuck
                      Passive radar allows you to track the enemy without them even knowing until it's to late.
                      How is this used?

Comment

Alot of people seem to forget the beauty of any POE mod. This is ver 1 if there are issue's or changes that need to be made to the game POE staff will implement them. It is no different than POE BFV for those that remember. I would not be suprised if you see a new version within a week or so. POE is very receptive to community opinion's.

Comment

the large scale armour battles are awesome, just like back in the DC/42 days.
                          the maps are way nicer, and more realisticly set out. No stupid sommander arty, and overall i think this is what BF2 should have been like in the 1st place.

ive played around 12 hours woth now, and i think its way better than vanilla.
                          btw ive played 1300 hours of vanilla, so i aint just some noob giving his 2 worthless cents worth..

Comment

My review, short and sweet ....

Rating: D+
                            ReasoN: this mod is worse than BF2.. Its more acrade. The Models are poop, you can tell not 1 guy made all the G36, becuase they are different in some way. The Skin job...well how hard is it just put Sliver on? Duh... some scratches would be nice.

The tanks: Suxor, They have a good skin, but they are too big for the "Mountain Crap Map". I shot a Jeep today, in the back... and it just kept on going... That made me un-install..

The Helos: Average, The TIGER! Is a GOOD HELO! Thats a PLUS! I love that thing, the transport looks alot like a ...blackhawk..

Players (models): Are just BF2 Models, with a German flag on it... wh00pie ! not..

D- to a F...

cant wait for FH2.

Comment

Originally posted by Forest
                              Guys, the game has only been out for a day.

A DAY.

how about you play it for a reasonable amount of time and I garauntee you half your problems will go away.
                              You're right. Ppl doesn't seem to notice that PoE is more complicated than vanila. So I'm off to learn those arty

Comment

Yeah, some'll say I'm bias since I work on a BF2 mod myself, but this was dissapointing...
                                I was expecting a quality of at least same level of the content that's already in BF2, but there's some stuff in there that really brings the overall quality down a notch. (the rifle from the Ukraine Assualt kit in particular)
                                One of the main factors would be on the animation side of things...some of the animations are really sloppy. The interior(cockpit) details on the vehicles are terrible, the tiger in particular was very dissapointing givin how great it looks on the outside.
                                For the most part, I think they did a good job...the exterior textures on the tanks look beautiful, and the maps are excelent, but overall, it seems a touch rushed to me.(which is odd considering the size of their team)
                                To be fair, my complaints are purely on the asthetics of the mod, not the mechanics, so I'll give it some more rounds before I dissmiss it, and I think I was sucked into the hype machine which never helps...

Next release or two should add some needed polish to the game, so that'll be the time to truely judge.

Comment

Working...
                                X