Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Claymore poll

Originally posted by Wolfgang Abenteuer
    It's funny you should mention nerfing because the FF-off feature is, for all intents and purposes, a nerf. People got tired, and rightfully so, of morons who wouldn't heed the red skull warning and would charge in and die. But unfortunately, the saying goes that if you make something foolproof only a fool would want to use it. DICE tried to prevent people from getting TKs with their claymores so they just made it so that friendlies didn't set them off. How they could possibly fail to see the ramifications of that in the grand scheme is beyond me. I knew what was going to end up happening on city/CQC maps just by reading their patch notes, and unfortunately I was right. Although if you get the proper mix of people in the server and claymores are not a problem, but then again the same could be said for the reverse - if you got the proper mix of people in your server then morons running into your mines weren't a problem, either.

And no, the reason I would prefer FF-on isn't so that people cannot use them, it's so they can't use them for cheap kills without any fear of backlash. Even with the n00b t00b as it was back in the day if you launched it at an enemy who was near a friendly soldier you ran the risk of killing the friendly (and of course getting TK punished), or if you launched it too close to yourself you ended up hurting or killing yourself. Pre-patch when I got killed by a claymore I tipped my cap to the sniper who was smart enough to put that in my path, or had the wherewithall to cover his tracks while he was sniping. Now if I get killed by a claymore it's usually one that's right in the middle of the stairwell that three enemies just went running up unharmed. I'm just surprised that DICE didn't have the foresight to see how easily abused this could have been before ever releasing the patch. :hmm:

That's my feelings on it all anyway.

~Wolfgang
    some people may not want that, but i suspect a large amount are wanting ff so players arent able to use clays where a teammate is likely to go, which is just about everywhere. i doubt many are even honest enough to admit that though, but seeing various posts from the same people, you can see alot of them have that way of thought.

and it was overused and slightly abused when when first implemented as a sniper could drop 5 claymores. but that ended quite soon and was then limited to 2 claymores, i was happy with that and so was just about everyone else.
    but now the whiners came out again saying that a massive 2 kills per life is overpowered on their homogay 24/7 karkand server.

citymap players > constantly request nerfs, its always the city map players and i damn well wish they could be disposed of in someway :laugh:

Comment

When you're trying to track down a sniper who is defending a flag, it's nearly impossible. All he has to do is place 2 clays at a flag so that you HAVE to set one of them off to cap it.

If you DO kill the sniper, his clays are still active and can still kill you...then he just respawns and replaced them and you're back to square one.

The ONLY way to take out a sniper and his clays is to kill the sniper and keep him killed (i.e. kill him again on respawn) long enough so that his clays disappear, and THEN cap the flag.

This just makes NO sense when you should be able to blow up his obviously placed claymore, cap the flag, and then go hunt his *** down.

I have no problem with a well placed claymore...it's just the lame snipers that this FF off and indestructible claymore combo have created that get to me.

Comment

Actually, if I get killed and I know I have a well placed claymore that has not gone off, I will not lay anymore of my claymores out, saving them for when someone does finally trigger them. You can only have 2 out on the map at any given time, so there is no reason to keep putting them out, when it just makes the first one disappear.

Comment

When you die though, your placed claymores WILL disappear unless you retrieve your old kit from your corpse before it expires...

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
            When you're trying to track down a sniper who is defending a flag, it's nearly impossible. All he has to do is place 2 clays at a flag so that you HAVE to set one of them off to cap it.

If you DO kill the sniper, his clays are still active and can still kill you...then he just respawns and replaced them and you're back to square one.

The ONLY way to take out a sniper and his clays is to kill the sniper and keep him killed (i.e. kill him again on respawn) long enough so that his clays disappear, and THEN cap the flag.

This just makes NO sense when you should be able to blow up his obviously placed claymore, cap the flag, and then go hunt his *** down.

I have no problem with a well placed claymore...it's just the lame snipers that this FF off and indestructible claymore combo have created that get to me.
            flag radius = big

use your brain and you can cap almost any flag without setting the traps off.

hell alot of the time i will stand almost ontop of a claymore and cap flags, they do not affect a smart player as much as they affect a dumb one that doesnt check where hes going. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
              When you die though, your placed claymores WILL disappear unless you retrieve your old kit from your corpse before it expires...

I disagree. I have been on Sharqi, respawned someplace else as a sniper, and just went to a different spot to snipe from, several minutes later, RocketChild [killed] mrXman* from a claymore I had layed in my previous life. I am sure you don't have to pick up your old kit bag.

But you are right though if you pickup a sniper kit, drop his clays, then pickup your kit and run away. I know those will disappear quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketChild
                I disagree. I have been on Sharqi, respawned someplace else as a sniper, and just went to a different spot to snipe from, several minutes later, RocketChild [killed] mrXman* from a claymore I had layed in my previous life. I am sure you don't have to pick up your old kit bag.

But you are right though if you pickup a sniper kit, drop his clays, then pickup your kit and run away. I know those will disappear quickly.
                they disapear 15seconds after u respawn unless you pickup your old kit. FACT!

Comment

Originally posted by zipp0r
                  they disapear 15seconds after u respawn unless you pickup your old kit. FACT!
                  I guess I need to get my FRAPs installed again, because I know I have killed people (many,many,many times) without firing a shot in my second-life with an old claymore placed off in BFE. It comes back as a XXX [killed] YYY not XXX [claymore] YYY

Comment

Originally posted by zipp0r
                    citymap players > constantly request nerfs, its always the city map players and i damn well wish they could be disposed of in someway :laugh:
                    While I do generally agree that 24/7 citymap players are the cause of most of the nerfs and gripes about this game, that doesn't mean that aspect of the game should be completely separate from the rest of the game (despite what the addition of IO mode says ). I enjoy driving tanks and flying helos and jets a LOT, in fact if I didn't I wouldn't play BF, but often time I like to mix it up on the ground as well and when doing so is hampered by claymores that are strewn about all over with no regard as to who may set them off (why should they care...it'll only be an enemy either way) it gets somewhat irritating. Having something block off your path and your only chances to get past it is to either blow it up yourself (in which case it's technically only your corpse that gets past it ), hunt down the sniper that laid it and wait 30 seconds for them to disappear, or hope one of your guys runs past and sets it off for you. At least in SF you can use zips and grapples to maybe bypass them, but in vanilla you're out of luck.

Take the Sharqi TV station flag, for instance. With a mere two claymores, you can prevent one soldier from making it to the platform. Not a big deal in itself, but if you just saw an enemy come down from there and you want to try to sneak in behind him and cap the flag, you get blown to bits by an explosive that he somehow managed to not set off. A lot of flags can be guarded this way (and yes, I agree, you should assault flags as a team so one claymore shouldn't stop your whole squad, but if you consider the reverse that if multiple snipers cover the flag then there can be four, or six, etc. claymores to deal with), using only two claymores. I'm 100% with you that playing smart will save you a lot of deaths, but there are some things which cannot be bypassed without a guinea pig, no matter how smart you are.

~Wolfgang

Comment

FF on is just a bad idea since it does nothing but get people teamkilled for their own stupidity. No one ever pays attention to the crossbones....ever. There's a reason that snipers rarely existed in the FF ON days....that's because they were all banned from all the servers from people who punish when it's clearly their fault. (not really)

FF OFF is the way to go...NO server option about it. However, I believe that they should be removable by other explosives and/or disarms.

Comment

I think this falls under the same category as friendly mines and commander's artillery.

Is it the commander's fault when three or four people run into an area right after he orders an artillary strike? No. So why should it be the sniper's fault that a team member isn't paying attention to the bright-red icon warning them of the mine, claymore or otherwise?

Punish the player that walked into it and let the server admins punish the player who abuses the mines. Same goes for players that run into a friendly artillary strike. Punish them for costing the team tickets and let the admins deal with commanders calling artillary strikes into friendlies. Power to the admins baby.

Comment

FF off and destroyable please with a side of fries

Comment

Claymores in my eyes should -

Be destroyable with explosives

Be able to be removed/gathered by snipers

Do reduced damage to teammates (not 1 hit kill)

Not able to cause 'team damage' penalties.

Be able to cause TK penalties, and be punishable

These traits would mean that claymores would not be overpowered, not as likely to cause TK's, not as likely to damage the Sniper's score, and be avoidable by teammates should the need arise. Yes, there are minor problems (not completely idiot/@rsehole proof), but it does solve the majority of the existing problems to some degree.

Comment

Working...
                            X