Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Machine, Insane Stutter (Dual Core Related ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Machine, Insane Stutter (Dual Core Related ?)

Originally posted by mdspeed
    Just a question here for myself:

I have a 4200 AMD
    2 GIG Ram
    7900 GT 256 MG EVGA video card
    Xi-Fi sound card
    2405 Dell Monitor (24 inch wide screen LCD)

I have it running at 1280x1024 with everything on high and 2x AA. Normally I get 40+ FPS but when the fight is right on top of me I drop to less than 15 fps. My question is with this kind of system should it be doing that and also if I added another 7900 GT video card would this improve performance at these settings.

Thanks!
    what psu do you have? this will probably be the starting point to most hardware issues. set your pagefile to 1gb (preferrably on a drive that doesn't have windows on it) and from here it's all drivers or windows (clutter, processes, spyware, etc.) depending on how you maintain your drives. make sure your psu can handle 2 7900's before you SLI

Comment

Il bet his running his AMD 4200+ at default speed , and ram timings at default also.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrt1989
        Il bet his running his AMD 4200+ at default speed , and ram timings at default also.
        You mean other "speeds" = OverClocking? just to know, not a big pro in this stuff.

Comment

More ram will definately help.

I had the stuttering due to dual core AMD as well, I always had to set the affinity to one core, that is until this little gem came out a few months back

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html

Its the first DL on the page called dual core optimization. Its newer than any patch posted here. I never have to set affinity anymore and the game runs even better than before.

I used to see one core at 100% usage and thew other at maybe 10%, now both run at around 60% with absolutely no stuttering.

Comment

Good for you Rock (no, really, I know it sounds sarcastic)

Apparently AMD Optimizer doesn't solve the problems for me. So the set affinity + Opti = ^_^

But i'm still a noob nvm. GL ppl.

Comment

sorry it didn't work for you man, I know how annoying the stuttering can be.

Comment

I don't think anyone else mentioned this yet, but he has way too many processes running in the background.

I don't think that is the cause though, but it is something he can improve on.

35 processes is just simply too many. Try getting it down to the low or mid 20's, or at least below 30.

Comment

I have 35-40 processes running no problem here . He has dual core, I really dont think thats the problem, I have a suspision its due to his 1gb of ram. An upgrade to 1.5 or 2gb should solve it I hope.

Comment

It's not about CPU, it's about RAM. I have 1g too, and BF2 can sometime take 600MB. So we all recommend you to shut down EVERYTHING in the taskbar, then with Task Manager rightclick->end process tree on any "user" process (NOT SYSTEM / NETWORK / SERVICE), so what's left is only task manager and explorer, eventually explorer.

If you really want and KNOW what you are doing, go to http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12 (this is like the 4th time u paste it on the boards :P ) and shut down what you feel. I'm kinda hysteric in such thing so I left all the services on Default, u know it can cause serious problems if you are not experienced in such things.

Comment

Hey i am getting stuttering too and i know that i should not be with the system that i have!!! I have 2 gigs of ram corsair xms, amd athlon 3700+, raid 0 on two 100 gig HDs, 7900gt overclocked from 500 core to 580 and 700 memory to 790. I have all the settings on high, and antialiasing as well, i have a soundblaster audigy 4 and i still think that this is the problem but who knows.... I have done a fresh install of windows xp pro, fresh install of nvidia 91.33 betas and newest sound blaster driver as well. If any1 knows a fix let me know. I know this should be runnign smoooooth on this system!!!!!!! I get about 70 fps (fraps and in game fps display shows this) and its still jumpy, i know that my ram is not all being occupied as well so i am speechless..., i also tried using software for my audio instead of hardware and it actually seemed to help, putting it on harware with low settings did not make any difference from when it was on high.

Comment

Originally posted by Og
                        I recently built my new system, it has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core, GeForce 7600GT 256 Mb, 1 Gb DDR2 Ram, Windows XP Pro SP2 etc etc. I get all excited and install BF2 ready to see a great improvement. Well, the frame rates alot better, but jeezus CHRIST the stutter never stops.

Ive read about the forums about it possibly being the dual core proccesor, so i install the AMD Optimise tool, which didnt fix it, then i installed a microsoft dual core hot patch, that didnt fix it, and now im left stumped. My old Socket A Sempron 3000+ didnt have this problem (After a better motherboard mind u but thats a different story). Is there anything else i can try ?
                        Get 2GB of Ram Og.

Comment

Working...
                        X