Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Machine, Insane Stutter (Dual Core Related ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Machine, Insane Stutter (Dual Core Related ?)

I recently built my new system, it has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core, GeForce 7600GT 256 Mb, 1 Gb DDR2 Ram, Windows XP Pro SP2 etc etc. I get all excited and install BF2 ready to see a great improvement. Well, the frame rates alot better, but jeezus CHRIST the stutter never stops.

Ive read about the forums about it possibly being the dual core proccesor, so i install the AMD Optimise tool, which didnt fix it, then i installed a microsoft dual core hot patch, that didnt fix it, and now im left stumped. My old Socket A Sempron 3000+ didnt have this problem (After a better motherboard mind u but thats a different story). Is there anything else i can try ?

Re: New Machine, Insane Stutter (Dual Core Related ?)

well..wat settings ru playing at? 1 gb should be good for medium, but if u go any higher ull get some stuttering

also, not sure about this, but i heard that if u use dual core, its like ur using 1/2 the ram u got..(but i mite be wrong about this)

Comment

The ram thing your talking about is a myth, or so I've heard countless times. Also the RAM is fine for high settings if textures is on medium or less. Also increase the Pagefile use on your harddrive to the max. That should help, and finally defrag, its common advice but it does help.

Comment

I left it with what the game auto detected, so 800x600, everything on medium except for textures which was on high (view distance 90% aswell). This isnt normal little blips of stuttering, its big chunky no chance in shooting people hell stuttering

Comment

There is a dual core fix, which helps stuttering in games.
          Check it out here;

Comment

Originally posted by Azion
            There is a dual core fix, which helps stuttering in games.
            Check it out here;
            http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=64936
            Thanks, i did all that, but the stutter remains Its absolutely killing me from playing this game, 1 of the reasons i did this upgrade was so i could play BF2 alot better (graphics/frame rate/smoothness etc) and so i was ready for BF2142, now im royally muffed :/

Comment

Try putting textures on medium. If that works out, I would raise some other options to high. And you ought to be able to play at a higher resolution if you'd like to

Comment

I tried, it didnt make any difference

Comment

Try getting the latest forceware drivers for your video card.

Comment

Have done. v91.33, and the latest drivers for everything else (sound/chipsets etc). I remember i fixed my stutter on my last system but putting up the AGP Aperture size in the bios. Obviously PCI-e doesnt have this, but is there an alternative ?

Comment

you try setting your afinity to have bf2 run on one core as it's not dual core supported?

Comment

Yep tried that to, no worky

Comment

I run an FX-60, no stutter at all.

Install that and make sure both cores are detected and running right.
                          You can use it to measue the load on both cores and it could help you to detect where the problem is coming from (I'm guessing vga or sound drivers though).

/edit

Just noticed what nvidia drivers you are running, those have given MAJOR performance dips to several team mates of mine.
                          I would do an uninstall (in safe mode) with driver cleaner pro and roll back to the version before those (84.21 they are on the nvidia site as well).

Comment

Og try renaming bf2.exe to bf2s.exe or something similar.
                            Then try starting it from that .exe.
                            Sometimes graphic optimisations can mess up games.
                            This will stop Forceware initiating any optimisations

Comment

Originally posted by Og
                              I recently built my new system, it has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core, GeForce 7600GT 256 Mb, 1 Gb DDR2 Ram, Windows XP Pro SP2 etc etc. I get all excited and install BF2 ready to see a great improvement. Well, the frame rates alot better, but jeezus CHRIST the stutter never stops.

Ive read about the forums about it possibly being the dual core proccesor, so i install the AMD Optimise tool, which didnt fix it, then i installed a microsoft dual core hot patch, that didnt fix it, and now im left stumped. My old Socket A Sempron 3000+ didnt have this problem (After a better motherboard mind u but thats a different story). Is there anything else i can try ?
                              I have almost the same exact thing. I don't get stuttering though, so it's not dual core. Try upgrading the RAM a little.

Specs-

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
                              1.5 GB DDR2 Dual Channel
                              EN7600 GS 256 MB

Comment

Working...
                              X