No announcement yet.

[xXx]gh0st's view on Infantry Only (IO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [xXx]gh0st's view on Infantry Only (IO)

I'm sure many people have complained about this in some fashion but I think my rant here is actually viable.

Let me get my coffee...

Okay. So it seems to me that all this talk about IO brings alot of debate on both sides of the fence. On one hand, I would agree playing IO sounds somewhat fun, and even though this isn't CSS or CoD2, ect, it would still be nice on occasion, but as a constant, no no no no no!

Here's my concern. I don't care much for knife/pistol servers, I don't care much about "Infantry Only" servers (pre 1.4), but what I DO care about is the fact that many of these people have been BANNED for playing on said servers. Now, I can understand the K/P servers to a degree, but here we have a game company who will blacklist you if you play on a server-made infantry only server, then they turn around and PROMOTE this kind of behavior with an offical patch.

Why?

Now I have respect for all types of players, from the Jetwhore, to the Tankwhores, to the Ground Pounders; everyone has a playstyle, and I believe it's everyone's right to play how they want as a loyal consumer, however, bringing in this kind of mode officially will only exercise more stat padding in the long run, thus making all of this pointless.

For starters, the most upsetting scenerio is as follows:

Commenman Joe Blow doesn't read forums, he probably doesn't even know what a forum is, all he knows is the server browser. Well he sees an Infantry Only server: "hey, that sounds fun, I'll try it out."

BANNED!

His buddy a couple months later says "yeah I'm having alot of fun with BF2 now that they have this IO option." His reply "WTF MAN I WAS BANNED FOR THAT AND NOW ITS LEGIT?!?!" F@KC EA/DICE I'M NEVER PLAYING THEIR GAMES AGAIN"

Yes now, boohoo right? Point is on that case is that EA/DICE lose customers, for one. Which is never good for business.

Now for the real issue here.

===================STAT PADDING====================

If you don't think for a second that IO isn't going to turn into this kinda of medic stat fuk fest, you are sadly mistaken, and the rant is Why EA/DICE decided to make IO RANKED is beyond stupidity in all ways imaginable. With this in effect, they have truely disrupted balance to all the people who actually CARE about ranks/metals and have now ENCOURAGED this type of playstyle.

I really don't know what else to say about this except the fact that it really pisses me off.

==================VEHICLE LITE========================

Yes, Vehicle Lite (or something to that effect, is what it should have been called. Can you imagine playing maps like Dragon Valley, Fu She Pass, ect. Without ANY vehicles, I bet you could, and imagining that would make you want to stab out your eyes with an icepick. So where does that leave server owners? I guess back to maps like Karkand, Mastuur and possibly Sharqi. So where did we really end up you might ask?

Well, now we have basicly the same servers that flood the brower today, except without vehicles. Oh and now the Infantry have more hit points, armor, different tweaks here and there for weapons. Tell me, why would anyone want to be an Engineer, an Anti-Tank, or even Assault, when we could all just be medics. God knows they are far superior then Assault anyday if you have the G36 Unlock.

So again, this will just even further promote stat padding because there really will be no point playing any of the larger maps.

So in the end, all I can say is have fun with your IO, I won't be part of it.

Thought? Comments?

Yours Truely
    [xXx]gh0st

PS: I love BF2, I think it's a wonderful game, but DICE needs to wake up fast if they want to keep/save what little credibility they have left. Dumping EA would be a first step to redeem themselves and a show of good faith.

Re: [xXx]gh0st's view on Infantry Only (IO)

i agree with ya man, but this will help the stat whores get out of the real servers so the real players can play in peace without medics running around like chickens with their heads cut off reviving you, watching a tank kill you, reviving again, etc. all the stat apdding medics will go to the city maps infantry only servers and clear some room in maps with vehicles that take skill

Comment

everyone who was reset for playing inf only servers should have thier points restored

Comment

Originally posted by AliothSkySystems
        everyone who was reset for playing inf only servers should have thier points restored
        No doubt. But I don't ever see this happening, unfortunately.

Comment

Thats exactly what I said in a post earlier today. Its quite sad although hopefully 95% of the servers won't turn to IO City Map only servers.

Comment

Vehicles usually get the gold almost every round, how is it stat padding having everyone on even footing? Wouldnt it be like the opposite? Can someone explain how dying less due to no vehicles will give medics higher scores.

Comment

Originally posted by Turnip
              Vehicles usually get the gold almost every round, how is it stat padding having everyone on even footing? Wouldnt it be like the opposite? Can someone explain how dying less due to no vehicles will give medics higher scores.
              Simple.

The way it will work is that everyone has more hit points in the IO mode for one, making people live longer (obvious point there).

Second is that no one will really play the other kits, mainly medic. So heal points are going off left and right, revives every 5 seconds, so on. The rounds will last MUCH longer due to more HP and no vehicles, thus creating a higher score output at the end of each round.

Not to mention, as I stated in the OP: without any vehicles at all, all we will see is IO mode for karkand/sharqi/mastuur. So essentially, IO will mainly cater to the padders.

Understand?

Comment

Are you so obssessed with stats that they are the only reason you play the game? If you are so worried about your e-penis looking so small because some guy stat padded on an IO server to have a higher score than you, then you need to get out some time.

In reguards to people getting reset for IO servers, i believe the IO servers people were being reset for were the ones that had gone and removed vehicles server side. If they were playing on IO servers for legit reasons then more than likely they don't care about their stats and would probley welcome this change.

I'm assuming you haven't even played the Infantry only mode also as you make mention of increased hit points and various other things that have already been removed in beta 2. All kits still have a use, AT/Eng are hard to beat in close quarters with someone who knows how to aim the shotguns. Assault I still use all the time, the G3 craps all over the G36E with someone who knows how to shoot.

While some of the maps maybe abit of a pain like the ones you mentioned there is always the 16 player versions, which are normally alot better flag distance wise. Example being Kubra Dam being one of the worset maps to play infantry on, the 16p version without armor will probley be one of my favourites.

The only real argument I've seen in reguards to not wanting IO is it's against what battlefield is suppose to be, however this could also be said for 2142.

Comment

I agree with pretty much 100% of the original poster said.

IO mode is nothing more than a DICE endorsed knife & pistol server which is not only extremely hypocritical but completely against the "spirit" of the Battlefield series. I'd put it right up at the top of the retardation list right next to the new BFROE list that gives the thumbs up to ranked server admins with a god complex and low self esteem.

As I've said before people DO care about statistics in Battlefield 2. A lot of people (a disturbing amount) care more about statistics than winning the round, or care more about K/D ratio then having a good time. Currently these people just have to make the best they can out of the current situation where they don't have free reign on an all out infantry only server and the only thing that really keeps them in check is the vehicles as the dynamic that brings in to the game that they just can't seem to handle. Sorry that you can't sit out in the middle of a road reviving players when an APC is staring at you. That's the way it goes. Sorry you can't turtle in a nice camp spot without having to worry about artillery raining down on you.

Bottom line is it's a waste of valuable programming time that could be better spent in a thousand different areas. DICE has really dropped the ball on this and don't think for a second that IO mode won't effect your gameplay experience because it will when the people who enjoy playing Battlefield for what it is crowd on the fewer "real" servers and have to deal with a higher percentage of players who want to use the vehicles and all the other problems that come with that.

Bottom line is IO mode should be an UNRANKED mode. That way it's sure to fail because none of the stat padders will be able to get the easy points they crave.

Can't wait to say "I told you so".

Comment

People wont get that much more points...... who cares?

its only going to increase combat a little.

no more than playing a single round of 64-player karkand.

It's not like suddenly people are going to start making 1000 points per day becuase of this. you guys got your pantys in a bunch over nothing.

I think this is going to be cool. sometimes tanks and jets piss me off!

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted-
                      Are you so obssessed with stats that they are the only reason you play the game? If you are so worried about your e-penis looking so small because some guy stat padded on an IO server to have a higher score than you, then you need to get out some time.
                      If you have read any of my other posts, I don't play vBF2 anymore. I play PRMM and Allied Intent 2 (when the population permits). Only on occasion do I play vBF2. So right there, you will realize that no, I care NOTHING about my stats. Do I have a sig? Check my stats if you feel the need.

In reguards to people getting reset for IO servers, i believe the IO servers people were being reset for were the ones that had gone and removed vehicles server side. If they were playing on IO servers for legit reasons then more than likely they don't care about their stats and would probley welcome this change.
                      I don't really understand the logic behind this comment. If it was the server owners who were making the modification to not allow vehicles, why do the players suffer?

"Go after the supplier, not the user."

I'm assuming you haven't even played the Infantry only mode also as you make mention of increased hit points and various other things that have already been removed in beta 2. All kits still have a use, AT/Eng are hard to beat in close quarters with someone who knows how to aim the shotguns. Assault I still use all the time, the G3 craps all over the G36E with someone who knows how to shoot.
                      I have played the beta 1, I stopped at that, so I don't know exactly what minor changes (that's right, minor, because the concept is still the same) that they did. I can tell you this though; you may be big and bad with your G3, after all, it's a fantastic gun, but how will you fare up against a squad of SIX medics?

Trust me, I LOVE infantry only. I really do hate tanks, meaning; you won't see me driving one. However, I like to be scared of them, running/hiding, and if nessessary, respawning as AT to take that SOB down. Without that, BF2 is not BF2 IMO, and should be UNRANKED.

That is all.

Comment

*Applauds OP's post*

To think that IO will end up balanced in any way shape or form with the medic class currently the way it is is the definition of 'denial'. Sure, at first you'll see a mix of classes scattered throughout, and sooner or later when everyone realises that there are HUGE points to be had from playing medic, not to mention the ability to extend rounds almost indefinitely (no tickets lost from deaths) and even extend one's own health by self-healing between firefights (as if this will be necessary -- I can almost predict servers crashing when there are 250+ medic bags all around the Square on Karkand and the engine won't be able to render all those distance markers and red crosses ). Add in assault rifles and the ability to revive everyone and almost nobody will die, and everyone will gain massive points in the process. Once this catches on it will be akin to the 1.2 PKM, where at first only a few people started out using it until it became widely known that single-shot and prone could shoot the tick off a redneck's butt from max visual range whereupon EVERYONE was using PKM. It was PKMfield. The only refuge was inside a vehicle. It took DICE almost no time to fix that issue, and now we'll have an even bigger one. Once people get tired of trying to snipe when there are 10 bunnyhopping medics tossing bags about and leaping onto the fallen teammate that gets sniped only to have all of them drop down prone in unison and G36E the bajeezus out of that very sniper, they too will be almost 'forced' to become a medic themselves and enter the fracus.

Thing is, BF2 wasn't designed, nor is it currently balanced, for infantry-only combat. The more infantry-oriented maps (city maps Karkand, Sharqi, Mashtuur) still have at least a tank or two to keep everything in check because no matter how good of a medic you are, you are NOT going to be able to G36E someone out of a T-90. Remove that and medics have no natural 'predators' to keep them in check and instantly become the gods of the battlefield. It may not happen straight away and those who have played IO thus far probably haven't seen it yet (largely in part, I'm sure, because it's a beta and the more 'casual' gamers either don't know about it or CBA to mess around with a beta patch), but once 1.4 goes live and IO becomes ranked, then you can say goodbye to regular BF2 and hello to MedicField 2. To make IO truly balanced and diverse, they would need to make many tweaks to the current maps and the current class systems which, as PlaneWhore mentioned, would be time much better spent on fixing up bugs and already-existing balance issues.

Edit: Oh yeah, and let's not even mention how it will skew the ranking system all to crap. That should go without saying. You will start to see a LOT of people with HUGE KDRs with infantry weapons that more than likely flat out suck with guns but they'll be revived nine times out of ten so even if they only kill 3 soldiers for every 10 times they get killed they'll still end up with a 3:1 KDR with rifles. Although the current ranking system is rubbish as it is right now anyway so in reality it won't much matter, but for those who like to compare their stats to others' (even though it's pretty unfair to compare stats of two players because of how dynamic BF2 is) will have a tough time because there'll be no way to tell if someone is just godlike with a gun or if they only play IO.

My 2ยข.

~Wolfgang

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMatx
                          People wont get that much more points...... who cares?

its only going to increase combat a little.

no more than playing a single round of 64-player karkand.

It's not like suddenly people are going to start making 1000 points per day becuase of this. you guys got your pantys in a bunch over nothing.

I think this is going to be cool. sometimes tanks and jets piss me off!
                          Tanks and Jets piss me off too, you're not alone, but to say no one will be making 1000 points a day... have you ever just "point farmed" before?

I don't mean stat padding either, I mean actually playing like a pro the entire day. It's not hard in vBF2 to get 3000 points in a day, let alone 1000.

Now imagine that now you can play "half ***" on an IO server. You're going to tell me that it will be impossible to gain 1000 points a day off that? I bet you I could gain close to 1000 points in one round if I really wanted to on an IO server, and of course if everyone else was a medic (which will happen, watch).

*EDIT*

For the record, my purpose is not to bash the idea of people wanting to play as just infantry, after all, it can promote alot of teamwork. But the way the current BF2 system is, it will only be exploited and eventually ruin the game. If you've read other posts, I usually play PRMM because it invokes more teamwork from players, and it's generally alot more fun when you know you're truely working together, but PRMM also has vehicles in it, and they don't really bother people, because the way it is designed is that you really cant be a tankwhore, or at least a very successful one.

you dig?

Comment

At the moment I seem to be addicited to IO Karkand servers. They're GREAT fun, and best of all, you don't get killed by a tank for the 500000th time sitting in your spawn (USMC camping Hotel spawn *cough*). Squads move round more together, and more people actually decide to get into a squad or create one. Of course you still get the jerks who see all the tanks lying around and forget that its IO, but they get pretty much instantly kicked/banned by admins (after warnings). Also, after a week of playing IO only, I have not seen ANY exploiting* and people get max scores of 40...compared to people getting 80-90 odd on normal maps...so don't get worked up about that.

Just how I see it.

*On servers I played on.

Comment

Geez, could you anti infantry only guys possibly fondle each other balls any more?

Comment

Working...
                              X