• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No one chats in BF2.

I find when ppl talk on voip is stupid stuff like....,

"theres a tank!"
    "incoming chopper!"
    "sniper over there"
    Thats if i can hear em at all with crappy mic volumes all different etc.

I mean wth good are those comments?, your going to spend precious time to figure out where enemy is actually coming from like.

"Enemy tank incoming from the north to hotel about 200 yds"
    "enemy jet coming from the east towards power plant"
    "enemy sniper to the north ontop of the maintenance buildings on the south corner"

You know stuff thats actually useful :S

Comment

the fact of the matter to me is I met loads of people playing call of duty and quite a few playing Unreal Tournament, but after 400+ hours of Bf2 i havent met one bloody person! how do you like them apples?

Comment

How about we try to get the game fixed first?

Comment

Yes, the game can be fixed, but implementing elemental design changes isnt too hard. I am not suggesting they actually go out and do this (though that would be nice,) I am merely expressing my opinions on the game.

And to those of you who say to use VOIP, well I do use it, and I dont always want to talk. Sometimes I am tired, and just dont feel like speaking u know.... and I can only talk to squad members too. And if EVERYONE talked, it would be pretty silly as well.

Cmon guys, i dont think its that off of an idea to not consider it, or even think its not a good idea. Believe me, a lot of people like to chat. And if you dont want to chat in game, cuz u might die, then how about you chat while you are waiting to spawn in right after u were killed.

I am just saying if it was implemented from the beggining, and then they changed it to the way it is now. people would be dissapointed. they would be like "hey, i cant see my text anymore.... whats the deal with all these messages?

Comment

Originally posted by VC_Resurrected
            the fact of the matter to me is I met loads of people playing call of duty and quite a few playing Unreal Tournament, but after 400+ hours of Bf2 i havent met one bloody person! how do you like them apples?
            The group of people Ive met so far.

Oustanding jet opponents with good solid mature attitude.

Great gunners or great chopper pilots with mature attitude.

Groundpounders who create regular squads and play together.

All only available as regulars in regular certain servers.

Comment

Part of the reason that people don't text-chat much any more might be because they're tired of getting kicked for saying completely innocent things.

I've been kicked right out of a game, no warning, just bang-gone for saying things like "assets" and "damn" because it matches some idiot's list of naughty words.

And the end result is pretty predictable: the product of chat-censorship in servers isn't clean and inoffensive speech, it's no speech at all. Kick enough people for talking, and pretty soon nobody talks. Thanks, you genius admins!

Comment

tell DICE that

Comment

The only things I type in bf2 are along the lines of "omfg that was BS"

I whine like it's my job. I mean I get so easily annoyed so all I type is:

I shot at X, Y number of times and X didn't die.
                  Ugh, freaking Y keeps noobing me
                  OMG Z, STOP DRIVING AWAY IN THE VEHICLE I'M GUNNING WITH.
                  Y, you're a freaking W

:laugh: I mean whining is the best way for me to get my frustrations out. I bet other people get annoyed they just dont type about it. Bad habit I guess cause it makes me seem like I'm a 12 year old.

Comment

I'd rather be killing than typing. Talk to your squad with VOIP if your feeling lonely or what to discuss something.

Comment

why chat ingame?? Join a vent/TS hosted by the server... or join an active clan or group of guys with their own vent... and if you meet somebody cool ask them to join in on the fun.

Comment

VoIP sucks. Either guy is too quiet or too loud, either way you can't hear anything. In-game voice sucks in every game, in fact.

Comment

Battlefield: Vietnam had the chat and the in-game messages separated. I wonder why they didn't use the same method for BF2.

Actually, I think I'm just imagining that. They both went to the same place, but there was less comm-spam in BF:V, so you didn't notice it so much.

Comment

Voip is useless in BF2. I've encountered maybe, 10 different squads that actually used Voip in all the time that I've played BF2. With so many people using outside programs like Teamspeak and vent, what is the point of a game having Voip anymore? In game chat is particularly worthless as you cannot type at your full WPM without the game dropping chars here and there because of poor registration. Typing in a vehicle can cause you to exit which sucks balls. Radio spamming can cause any text you typed to scroll by quickly. Wanna check out the chat log in your console? Too bad. The consoles font for some reason does not include spaces making it difficult to find the messages you are looking for.

In conclusion, text chat is the only true way to be able to communicate with the vast majority of gamers on any server. Text chat is a fool proof method for communicating in game to EVERY player that ANYONE can access, and not just a small minority of players who own mics or are connected to the servers TS channel.

Comment

voip is fun on public servers. For example when you randomly join a pilot in his AC, and want to do some gunning for him. How would you want to get him on TS..?
                              Sure, voice quality is not very good but you have to find a middle way of performance and bandwidth.

The way text messages are setup right now they are about as much as useless. At least the chat messages are only visible for half a second at most on a full 64 player server...
                              Separate windows would so easily solve that issue.
                              I also don't need to read it everytime commander spots someone, or a medic drops a medipack. It's already enough if I HEAR it. I think they have really not put a lot of thought to the text positioning in this game anyways.
                              Look at the "The game will start when blahblahblah players join" message for example - it's right in the MIDDLE of the screen... WHY?

Comment

I agree with the thread starter.

Comment

Working...
                                X