Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding snipers from UAVs

Hi there!

This is not a rant, nor a whine, this is only a SUGGESTION. Please note that! Here it comes:
    • How many times haven't you been killed by an arty strike while hiding at your über-leet favorite bush somewhere up in the mountains on SAK?
    • How many times haven't looked up in the sky and seen a UAV right over your head, and seconds later been killed by a squad looking on the UAV?
    • How many times haven't you been the last guy on the team, and the commander setting out a UAV right on top of ya, and the next thing you see is 20 man lying prone on hill 200 meters away blasting you off with AT rockets (well... that was abit unrealistic)?

There are numerous scenarios like that, that often happens to me, and they are irritating.

Now what I suggest is that snipers get to be hidden from the UAV and spotting from the commander. Normal players should be able to spot them though!
    Here are some reasons:
    • In real-life, snipers almost always wear special clothes which reflect the signals from the UAV (which often are based on heat-seeking). They are called Tick suites. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper#Ghillie_suit
    • There should be a reason to choose the sniper class. Nowadays, most people use support, medic and specops classes. Hiding snipers from the UAV would ensure that you spread out the kit-usage on the server, which is what BF2 is meant for.
    • I am not encouraging lone-wolfs, they ruine this game totally, but this idea would give snipers an opportunity to stay in one spot without directly being spotted. In real-life, snipers are not people who run around and participate in CQC (close-quarter-combat)! They stay mostly out of the intense battlefield.

These are some modifications/enhancements to the original idea I've come up with:
    • The above idea can be overused, and therfor you can implement this instead: The snipers are only hidden while laying still, if they move abit, they get caught on the UAV. This would encourage snipers to use tactics that are good for the whole team.
    • A limited number of people can be snipers. This would also lower the number of people who overuse it. The limitation can be set either by the people with highest scores get to be snipers, or people who have the highest ranks etc...
    • Snipers "spot-radius" (how close you must be with the crosshair while spotting to actually find the player) could be increased for normal players. This would make it easier to spot them, which would make the overuse lower.
    • Commander is able to spot the snipers if they see them, and not by using the scan button!

Remember, this is only a suggestion. It's mainly to make the game more realistic, and to make it more tactics-based.
    I want to hear your comment on this!

Thanks for reading,
    Doggie52

Re: Hiding snipers from UAVs

Maybe those suggestions would get somwhat more success if you posted in the Dice section, or something. Those ideas aren't bad, i was thinking "this is stupid" until you came up with limiting snipers. Then it wasn't a half bad idea. Still - you have to let everybody do what they want really. Limiting classes wouldn't work well..

Anyway, when you get UAV'd/Arty'd then it's not that bad. That UAV is just picking out one guy so its a waste of a UAV flight. Same with an artillery barrage, if the opposing commander wastes a whole barrage on one sniper. At least you know that barrage isn't going to kill everyone actually trying to stick togethor and acting like a team. So they can get their job done.

The car drop was annoying and was abused, 1.4 kinda changed it for the better. No drops on roofs and stuff.

But, my all time favorite thing they should do for snipers is to remove them from the game totally. Un-needed for a team based game.

Comment

Originally posted by Stizzle
      Anyway, when you get UAV'd/Arty'd then it's not that bad. That UAV is just picking out one guy so its a waste of a UAV flight. Same with an artillery barrage, if the opposing commander wastes a whole barrage on one sniper. At least you know that barrage isn't going to kill everyone actually trying to stick togethor and acting like a team. So they can get their job done.
      Well there are commanders which use artys on one or two people sitting somewhere still. It's irritating, and that's why I posted the thread.

Comment

One time i puted UAV on a Base becuase the Flag turned whit but no one did show upp and then the flag where suddenly belonging to the other team. i gues this is just a bug, but it somethign theys shoud fix

Comment

so basically you are saying that a sniper dying twice in a round is far too much - THEY SHOULD NEVER DIE!
          seriously :|

I've regualrly seen snipers who rack up 20-0 kills in a round. That isnt the highest amount of kills but it works wonders for your kdr which is the whole point
          Now lets think why we don't have a more useful sniper kit. I know! It's because we would not have the fantastic gameplay we have in BF2 if we did.

Comment

It`s a bird............it`s a plane............it`s the pwned sniper flying through the air with the greatest of ease:salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Doggie52
              In real-life, snipers almost always wear special clothes which reflect the signals from the UAV (which often are based on heat-seeking).
              Dude, you've been watching too many 007 films.

Comment

Originally Posted by Doggie52
                In real-life, snipers almost always wear special clothes which reflect the signals from the UAV (which often are based on heat-seeking).
                lmao!
                didnt see that - oh thats precious!

Comment

I disagree that snipers should be limited... the only class that limited is Commander, and with good reason. I think that if people take Sniper just to hide from the UAV they'd have to be total potatoes... you would need 1) to be satisfied with only using the sniper rifle (something that wouldn't bother people who chose the class for the weapon and not for the hiding) and 2) to lie perfectly still every time there's a UAV overhead if you want to accomplish the only thing you picked the class for.

I agree with every other point though. As it is, Snipers aren't a serious enough threat to warrant limiting the number of potential snipers on a team, and I agree that it would be far more immersive if Snipers could avoid UAV detection.

Comment

First, the sniper is part of team play. A sniper is used to give long range sighting to a squad (when used correctly). But he should for no reason remain in one spot the whole round. He should be moving up and helping cover the backside of the advancing squad. He can then start to cover the flag. To sit back behind the arty on Sharqi is lame. If the commander has time to spot you and arty you, then you are not moving enough. Snipers in real life do move. It is extremely slow and undercover, but they do not remain in one spot for extended periods of time. Unless setting a laser for a missile. I somewhat like the idea of the heat shielding to prevent UAV, but think about how lame it would be to have a sniper left on a map that all the flags have been captured and he is just sitting there for the rest of the map. No one can find him and the commander can not spot him!! That would get old.

Comment

Not really, many of the current or near future issue combat fatigues are incorperating thermal blocking.

The SANDF's had them in the field for almost 20 years.

Not the worlds most effective blocking, but it seriously reduces a person's immage on a FLIR.

KBK

Comment

Originally posted by low_iq
                        No, they don't snipe in 007 films . Anyways, I just didn't know the name of those. There are wikipedia entries about snipers, check out for yourself!
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper#Ghillie_suit. I would really like to call you an IDIOT, but then I'd probably get a warning... And btw, your name suits you good.

Originally posted by Black_05_TL_6sd
                        First, the sniper is part of team play. A sniper is used to give long range sighting to a squad (when used correctly). But he should for no reason remain in one spot the whole round. He should be moving up and helping cover the backside of the advancing squad. He can then start to cover the flag. To sit back behind the arty on Sharqi is lame. If the commander has time to spot you and arty you, then you are not moving enough. Snipers in real life do move. It is extremely slow and undercover, but they do not remain in one spot for extended periods of time. Unless setting a laser for a missile. I somewhat like the idea of the heat shielding to prevent UAV, but think about how lame it would be to have a sniper left on a map that all the flags have been captured and he is just sitting there for the rest of the map. No one can find him and the commander can not spot him!! That would get old.
                        That was not what I meant. I meant that snipers running around planting claymores everywhere and shoting people with pistols is wrong.

Comment

Certainly then, snipers can run into town undetected and shoot everyone with pistols and blow them up with claymores, while they are focusing on the red dots that are on the UAV.

Comment

Originally posted by low_iq
                            Actually there are many ways to hide yourself from InfraRed. At some of the advanced military sniper schools they train snipers in how to build InfraRed blocking ghillie blankets.

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r
                              so basically you are saying that a sniper dying twice in a round is far too much - THEY SHOULD NEVER DIE!
                              seriously :|
                              No, that's not what I said. I meant that snipers are not the ones who get alot of deaths in a round, because they don't participate in CQC as much as other kits. Increasing the "spot-radius" would compensate the fact that the commander can't spot them...
                              Originally posted by Doggie52
                              Commander is able to spot the snipers if they see them, and not by using the scan button!

Comment

Working...
                              X