Why exactly are there jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why exactly are there jets?

No one seems to understand that things aren't equal in the game for a reason. A plane should be able to kill you, and blow up ****. A tank should be able to take out a group of soldiers. It is up to you to use your tools given to you to fight back, and outsmart your opponent who has an advantage. Damn.

Comment

Disfigured has it right when you play for the team it does actually help dull the pain somewhat.

As I have said before in one of my few posts I still think jets should be limited to the large maps only (would entice me back to vanilla instead of being a 95% SF type ). They would still be in the game and those who enjoy piloting them can still do their thing but their dominance is lessoned because they can no longer re-arm quite as quickly.

Comment

Yeah I hate when ground pounders expect to have a "fair" advantage over a jet... I mean, it's not supposed to be "fair". AA is more than enough..

I mean, what would they do if these jets were true to life? Could you imagine if the JSF was true to life... it would be the other way around. LOL

Comment

Fair or not, as a ground-pounder, I'm just soooo sick of jets. Tired.... So so tired... When I quit altogether, it will be after running 400m between the trees, only to have 8000 lbs. of bombs dropped on me. Just me.

Can't wait for the new game...

Maybe the Jet-douches should've bought IL-2 Sturmovik.

Now let's see your prowess - you actually have to put up - *OMG* - your landing gear!

Comment

Originally posted by Factor_Z
            Fair or not, as a ground-pounder, I'm just soooo sick of jets. Tired.... So so tired... When I quit altogether, it will be after running 400m between the trees, only to have 8000 lbs. of bombs dropped on me. Just me.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the video with the gunships cannons :laugh:

All i'll say, is that, it looks 5x better than the oldschool BH miniguns, and the spread was 3x as wide

Comment

Originally posted by metallicaguitrst
              When the jet is about to pass you, hop in and THEN shoot 1 missle, wait for flares, and then shoot another one.
              Doesn't work. By the time you're done waiting for flares the jet is long out of the miniscule range of your remaining missle.

It isn't what the jets in the air do, it's your own fault if you keep getting killed by jets.
              Exactly. No one should play on maps with jets. This is why Karkand is so popular; the only vanilla map without any aircraft.

Comment

the reson the stingers cant take out plans is because they have been designed to take out choppers and i rekon it is easy for planes to be taken out on wake there is no use to add line backers or any mobile aa but i agree on pla aa beinging weak and i rekon most of the AA are designed for helies.

Comment

1) When you want to kill a jet, hang out around 10m from the AA prone, and look for jets. If a jet comes your way, start running towards the AA. When the jet is about to pass you, hop in and THEN shoot 1 missle, wait for flares, and then shoot another one. If he is coming in fast, then just shoot them both.
                  I'm a regular flyer myself but you've got to be kidding me. On wake, the J-10 has disappeared into the fog before their flares even start to disappear.

So if you dont want to die, go lonewolf and don't stay near any "groups" of people.
                  You'd be surprised how often I die from a j-10 as a lonewolf running to cap a flag alone. Actually about 10 in a single round last night!.

3) VEHICLES! DO NOT get into a vehicle if a jet is in the air... you WILL get killed if there is even a semi-decent pilot in the air.
                  damn straight! 100% agree minus the semi-decent part. I've seen pizza hut guys decimant wake recently. It just highlights problems with balance, thats it.

Yeah.. so many things. It isn't what the jets in the air do, it's your own fault if you keep getting killed by jets.
                  This topic has been talked to death really. The bf2 dev's always talked about "rock, paper, scissors". In that each and every vehicle/kit in the game had something to counter it, which there is. Its just that the map designs don't include these. The problem being that the rocks are too heavy to throw and the scissors are seriously blunt. Leaving the paper planes to own the skies (on wake specifically). Even plane vs plane doesn't work as it should. Its was always supposed to be about balance.

One side will say .. "its fine, leave it" the others will cry that its way over balanced towards the planes. As both a pilot and grunt I do see it from both sides and it does annoy me that it can be sooo easy in a plane.

Pilots need to realise what its like on the ground for everyone else. One persons kill is someone elses death. Your "massive owning round" is someone elses spawn rape/death en masse x 20.

As for people saying ... "too bad it they made it like planes in real life". hmmm, its a game. Hell! They're US forces they should win EVERY map
                  Then if it gets too bad just nuke the city from orbit lol.

My advice specifically for wake is stay indoors on the carrier or find another server if you don't wanna die

Comment

I'm guessing you haven't seen the video with the gunships cannons :laugh:

All i'll say, is that, it looks 5x better than the oldschool BH miniguns, and the spread was 3x as wide

I guess you didnt see the video where dice said these "gunships" you speak off, are gonna be fairly worthless against infantry, and more in tuned to take out armor type stuff.

Comment

I mean, what would they do if these jets were true to life? Could you imagine if the JSF was true to life... it would be the other way around. LOL
                      I'd take on a JSF in real life aslong as they bring everything else aswell. I'll be sitting back having a coffee while the Phalanx guns take you out automatically. Too bad it would technically be a tk lol.

[edit] add one of these to the RL shopping list also please

Comment

Hey thanks everyone for your replies & feedback Just for the record I've been playing a full year and feel I have a decent understanding of how the game ticks. Sure you have your games where both sides have decent pilots & they tend to keep eachother busy or you may get lucky & down a couple with stingers but I've found overwhelmingly that it's one sided. Even if you manage to last long enough to get a couple of stingers off then you're lucky to survive the ever looming arty strike - hey there's another one. I know statistically it must count but as Commanders don't get points for arty strikes then similarly you shouldn't get a death count for being blown up. It should be used as a tactic to slow down forces movements but bugger getting arty'd a dozen times in a map cause you're tied down to one point & can't spawn elsewhere. Anyway that's off track.
                        Bring on ak-ak guns and keep those blewming jets to 10,000 feet making life somewhat harder for them. I'll try to implement some of the suggestions people have made but at the end of the day - it would be a far far better game without them. Oh & I can fly them (reasonably) & have sat passenger - it's a dull experience and hollow points if you ask me. Join us on the ground you weak fly boys - in my book all your points & medals count for nothing. Fancy getting medals for being engy and just bombing things from the sky. Hopelessly weak!!!

Comment

I dont know if this has ever been brought up before but my suggestion would be to have the uncaps protected by automated SAM sites that are indestructable. Perhaps something similar to the Essex gun. They would have short range to screen the homebase only but give enough protection to stop the raping of uncaps and give a team a chance to come back in a game. I think it is fair to both sides, those who love to fly can still bomb the heck out of 90% of the map and those who respawn only to eat a bomb have a window to regroup-

Comment

aghh... even still... USMC on wake is fine on the ground. I have over 400 hours just on that map, so I know what I am talking about. I play on the ground just as much as I am in a vehicle.

People complain sooooo much about jets, but they don't realize... it's their OWN fault.

Heres a couple tips for the people that complain...:

1) When you want to kill a jet, hang out around 10m from the AA prone, and look for jets. If a jet comes your way, start running towards the AA. When the jet is about to pass you, hop in and THEN shoot 1 missle, wait for flares, and then shoot another one. If he is coming in fast, then just shoot them both.

2) Jets are like artillery. When they bomb, they are going to go for masses of people, or things that they know are a threat to them. Act as though the jets in the sky are artillery. Being a huge jet whore, listen to me when I say this.. I look at the map MORE than in front of me. If I see a big group of people on a certain spot, I already know exactly where they are, and I look for the general direction they are headed, so when I bomb, I do it a little bit in front of them. AND... every time I pass over land, I look behind me while i'm flying low.. so this is where people call "HACKER!!!" because I come back around and nail them. So if you dont want to die, go lonewolf and don't stay near any "groups" of people.

3) VEHICLES! DO NOT get into a vehicle if a jet is in the air... you WILL get killed if there is even a semi-decent pilot in the air. These are my personal favorite, because it's not a guessing game anymore. You are guarunteed at least one kill.. and some people are dumb enough to waste bombs on them... but the better pilots will take them out instantly with cannons.

Yeah.. so many things. It isn't what the jets in the air do, it's your own fault if you keep getting killed by jets.
                            All your doing is robbing myself and any other decent-good-excellent pilots of kills. Quit telling these clowns how to avoid and/or negotiate jets. Comprende?

Originally posted by Factor_Z

Maybe the Jet-douches should've bought IL-2 Sturmovik.

Now let's see your prowess - you actually have to put up - *OMG* - your landing gear!
                            8000lbs? wtf are u smoking, a God damn JDAM only weighs 5000lbs and if we had Jdams in the game we'd take out a quarter of the fu**ing map with one strike.

Comment

Originally posted by GotheProbe
                              Hey thanks everyone for your replies & feedback Just for the record I've been playing a full year and feel I have a decent understanding of how the game ticks. Sure you have your games where both sides have decent pilots & they tend to keep eachother busy or you may get lucky & down a couple with stingers but I've found overwhelmingly that it's one sided. Even if you manage to last long enough to get a couple of stingers off then you're lucky to survive the ever looming arty strike - hey there's another one. I know statistically it must count but as Commanders don't get points for arty strikes then similarly you shouldn't get a death count for being blown up. It should be used as a tactic to slow down forces movements but bugger getting arty'd a dozen times in a map cause you're tied down to one point & can't spawn elsewhere. Anyway that's off track.
                              Bring on ak-ak guns and keep those blewming jets to 10,000 feet making life somewhat harder for them. I'll try to implement some of the suggestions people have made but at the end of the day - it would be a far far better game without them. Oh & I can fly them (reasonably) & have sat passenger - it's a dull experience and hollow points if you ask me. Join us on the ground you weak fly boys - in my book all your points & medals count for nothing. Fancy getting medals for being engy and just bombing things from the sky. Hopelessly weak!!!
                              What you are looking for is infantry combat in this game, and if there is anything weak its the infantry combat. BF2 falls short in this area, but BF2142 looks to improve on its fun with cloaking, ton of unlocks etc which has me excited for it even though I still havent seen any jets.

Originally posted by Cazzy
                              I dont know if this has ever been brought up before but my suggestion would be to have the uncaps protected by automated SAM sites that are indestructable. Perhaps something similar to the Essex gun. They would have short range to screen the homebase only but give enough protection to stop the raping of uncaps and give a team a chance to come back in a game. I think it is fair to both sides, those who love to fly can still bomb the heck out of 90% of the map and those who respawn only to eat a bomb have a window to regroup-
                              How short range? Are we talking 200m, 400m? U would still be able to easily carpet bomb it from high up with little practice.

Comment

Originally posted by sahando
                                the reson the stingers cant take out plans is because they have been designed to take out choppers and i rekon it is easy for planes to be taken out on wake there is no use to add line backers or any mobile aa but i agree on pla aa beinging weak and i rekon most of the AA are designed for helies.

The PLA dont need mobile AA its stupid ffs, they already have spawn rapin j10s

Comment

Working...
                                X