Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has a broken patch been released AGAIN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has a broken patch been released AGAIN?

Once again we have been hit with a major patch that simply does not work. Bugs are rampant, inparticular CTDs are more prevalent and the server browser is a joke.
    No doubt another hotfix is on the way, but really why is this acceptable?

Certain fanboys shall run around proclaiming that we should be grateful for the ongoing "support" the community is receiving, well I propose this is the kind of support we could do without.

I suggest some of you guys try running 1.0 or the demo, and see just how different this game used to be. I remember a time when rockets did not fire through vehicles, and commanders could not drop hummers on runways. I remember times when the PC you needed to run BF2 didnt have to be heinously powerful. As it stands to play BF2 on high you need a system that barely existed at the launch of BF2. I remember when the official (laughable) statement from EA was to reinstall the game and revert to 1.0 when the first broken patch was released.

Gameplay changes are rampant, while some of these are beneficial, some are counterproductive, others are odd, and other obvious gameplay deficiencies and balance issues go unchanged (think J10 anybody?)

To be honest I have reached a state where I would say to Dice: If you can't do a job properly, don't do it at all.
    I'm sick of having to deal with their consistently poor standard of work, and if that is all they are capable of, then I would rather they would just lay hands off and leave the game as is.
    Doing a bad job is worse than doing no job at all.

Edit: Double spaced paragraphs for easier reading

Re: Why has a broken patch been released AGAIN?

Agreed. I have retired from playing BF2, it just wont run properly now except in 1.0.

Roll on Quake Wars.

Comment

I've read your post and all the others in this forum from people complaining about the patch.

Besides that fact that the server browser doesn't work like before I don't see very many valid 1.3 bugs. How about you actually mention them in a post that's readable?

Comment

Originally posted by ptegan
        I've read your post and all the others in this forum from people complaining about the patch.

Besides that fact that the server browser doesn't work like before I don't see very many valid 1.3 bugs. How about you actually mention them in a post that's readable?
        OK, here is my main valid 1.3 bug:

THE PEICE OF SHI T WONT EVEN RUN!! It crashes to desktop while loading maps, once the map has loaded, comes back with unmodified content errors, etc.

I have tried:
        -reinstalling BF2
        -Trying various patching combinations and sources (full/part installs) from different download locations
        -praying to allah

None work. I have never, ever, in my nearly 25 years of PC gaming encountered something as bad as BF2 for lack of quality assurance.

I'm wondering if I petition EA/DICE if I could get a refund on the cost of the game?

Comment

With the greatest of respect; I see your posts in quite a few of these 1.3 threads saying you have no problems and getting hacked off with people complaining about the bugs. You are either extremely lucky, or extremely blind. Because, despite what you seem to say these bugs DO exist, and they ARE prelevant among 95% of the people who play the game.

I have a pretty damn high end PC, iv only ever had 3 CTD's since playing BF2. Last night? I had 4, 2 of which were before id even joined a game.

Roll on Quake Wars i say, every patch DICE/EA manage to dissilusion yet more players, but hell, so long as its not the pubbers who play maybe once a month they dont care, because those are the people who will buy Bf2142 and half arsed expansion packs.

Comment

lol. It's lovely to watch others stuggle with BF2 and myself have no problems.

...Um. Not to mock though. I just don't see this patch being the complete and utter "crap" others are making it out to be. It has been one of the more stable and reasonable (It didn't ruin PRMM) for me. So, I play on (PRMM).

I hope you understand though, leaving BF2 now does nothing. DICE/EA already made a killing, when 2142 drops they will make yet another killing, and at the end of the day money will continue to flow into EA's pockets. So, make sure you're leaving the game because you're fed' up, not because you're trying to make a statement. I can promise you that statement falls on "money clogged" ears.

{WP}Paas

Comment

'Unmodified content error'

A quick and easy way to get your BF2-fix is only play on Linux servers which won't run md5 checks on your files and should allow you to play.

The error, as you probably know, means that the patch didn't patch properly. You should only need to install BF2 and the 1.3 FULL and not play around with other patches. The patching is failing (but you aren't getting an error message) because the file extracted into memory doesn't match the one on the disk and can be fixed by running memtest (free program) and seeing if you of your memory sticks has errors.

Do you always get the unmodified contect error?

Does it happen to every map you try? If so then your objects_clicnt.zip file is probably corrupt. Check that it has a date of 04/05/2006 (as should all the .zip files in /battlefield2/mods/BF2/ folder)

Comment

Originally posted by Deliverance
                With the greatest of respect; I see your posts in quite a few of these 1.3 threads saying you have no problems and getting hacked off with people complaining about the bugs. You are either extremely lucky, or extremely blind. Because, despite what you seem to say these bugs DO exist, and they ARE prelevant among 95% of the people who play the game.

I have a pretty damn high end PC, iv only ever had 3 CTD's since playing BF2. Last night? I had 4, 2 of which were before id even joined a game.

Roll on Quake Wars i say, every patch DICE/EA manage to dissilusion yet more players, but hell, so long as its not the pubbers who play maybe once a month they dont care, because those are the people who will buy Bf2142 and half arsed expansion packs.
                Here here. Its easy for those who haven't spent many frustrated hours trying to get the game running to say "quit your whining" yet I imagine had the same thing happened to them, they'd be the first people on here giving their "woe is me" speech.

Yes EA have made their money on this, and maybe they'll make it on BF2142, but there's only so many gamers out there with the patience for this bollocks.

A quick and easy way to get your BF2-fix is only play on Linux servers which won't run md5 checks on your files and should allow you to play.

The error, as you probably know, means that the patch didn't patch properly. You should only need to install BF2 and the 1.3 FULL and not play around with other patches. The patching is failing (but you aren't getting an error message) because the file extracted into memory doesn't match the one on the disk and can be fixed by running memtest (free program) and seeing if you of your memory sticks has errors.

Does it happen to every map you try? If so then your objects_clicnt.zip file is probably corrupt. Check that it has a date of 04/05/2006 (as should all the .zip files in /battlefield2/mods/BF2/ folder)
                Memtest says my RAM is fine, and I've tried each stick indivdually. I've reinstalled windows several times (once after even doing an overnight zero-write on the HDD) and checked all hardware thoroughly.

I had the "unmodified content" error under one install, crashes to desktop while loading under another, and then crashes to desktop after pressing the join button on another. I've tried the full patch (downloaded twice) and then upgrading previous patches, all to no effect. I also have no issues installing and patching any other game.

My assumption is that either my PC really doesnt like patching this game, or there is a conflict between my specific hardware setup and subsequent BF2 patches.

Feel free to offer any other bright ideas.

Comment

Are you seriously suggesting this as a fix? Only play on a small percentage of servers, and blame peoples RAM for this problem. Clearly from the sheer volume of threads and posts in regards to the bugs shows that these problems are widespread and NOT related to the end-users system, in particular the ridiculous nature of the server browser at the moment CANNOT be anything to do with the PC you run BF2 on.

Comment

Originally posted by Deliverance

I must agree that I have never had a problem with any of the BF2 patches after installing each one since last September of so. But I've spent a lot of time in the support forum and over at EA UK forums trying to figure out why others get errors that I seem to miss.

So far all I have personally seen is the browser 'ping' bug. All the others mentioned by people in these threads don't seem in any way related to 1.3 but either existed beforehand or are due to something they changed on their setup. I'm not saying that they don't exist but I'd just love for someone to start a thread called "1.3 Bugs" and have the OP edit the first post as people add their problems to it but only include verified 1.3 bugs and not what some people are guessing are 1.3 bugs.

Comment

The problem is that some bugs cant be reproduced. And in the eyes of alot of programmers/developers they simply palm of a non reproducable bug as an end user problem.

I couldnt join a server and reproduce the AT/TOW not firing bug for you now, but are you telling me the thousands and thousands of people who have witnessed this are either lying or their system is causing the bug?

Just because a bug cant reproduced it doesnt make it any less of a bug. Id be suprised if BF2 is even still playable on its original release minimum Spec with all the extra crap they've introduced with every patch.

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
                        Feel free to offer any other bright ideas.
                        Insulting the one person who'd actually trying to help you play BF2 is not a wonderful idea, not matter what you think of the advise.

Are you seriously suggesting this as a fix? Only play on a small percentage of servers, and blame peoples RAM for this problem. Clearly from the sheer volume of threads and posts in regards to the bugs
                        I didn't say it was a fix. I said it was a way to get your 'bf2-fix' meaning that at least you can still play the game without having to just stare at the DVD
                        As for 'sheer volume', as I said in the other thread, it's very quiet around here compared to the day that 1.03 or 1.22 were released.

Comment

My current flavour of CTD goes something like this:
                          When I load a server (probably not the one I wanted) the loading bar fills up and I reach the screen which states "Press Join or Esc to join game" or some such. Now if I press Esc all proceeds well and good, however if I press the Join button I CTD instantly. This absolutely did not happen pre 1.3, in fact I am hard pressed to think of any CTD pre 1.3, yet this happens EVERY time. I fail to see how anything else can be held accountable.

Comment

So far ive encounterd numerous bug's as well...

Server Select screen Buggy as hell.
                            No server info while loading.
                            ctd while joining twice.
                            ctd while loading once.

Not to mention it now rains deadly light transport, but that was intentional so i guess its not a bug, but rather the retarted commanders that love to spam things and TK, now they just gave them a deadly accurate tool.

Me and my wife play Bf2 together, side by side..on 2 entirley diff machines, one is a pentium other is an Amd....Both Machines has these bugs at various random times, Rebooting seems to help if you were previously playing.

But im sure we can expect an "emergency patch" in the months to come

Comment

Im just waiting for mods for some decent programing

Comment

Working...
                              X