Valve/Steam vs. EA/DICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve/Steam vs. EA/DICE

Its a safe bet that most people here have played counter-strike at least once so here we go..

Valve/Steam has better anti-cheat
    Valve/Steam has better net code
    Valve/Steam has better server browser
    Valve/Steam has better pings
    Valve/Steam has better loading speeds

EA/DICE has ranks

Whats missing cause it looks like a game thats about 100 years old and costs $9 is better than every Battlefield title which are new and cost $50

Re: Valve/Steam vs. EA/DICE

Originally posted by AliasJay
    Its a safe bet that most people here have played counter-strike at least once so here we go..

EA/DICE has ranks

Whats missing cause it looks like a game thats about 100 years old and costs $9 is better than every Battlefield title which are new and cost $50
    would be nice to see them combine their ideas. CSS with ranks. BF2 with the reliability of the steam engine? Sweet. Though that CSS with ranks would make it even more 'elitist'

Comment

Then why do you play and post on a BF2 message board?

If CS is so much better, go play it and stop bugging us.

Comment

I wouldn't agree with that. I think they are both about the same.

Can't compare them. BF2 has a lot more info passing than CS.

Yes it does. I like how you can check servers without having to go in game. (Just talking about the default browser capability).

Different games. BF2 passes more info.

EA/DICE has ranks
        To bad they won't let you run custom maps on a ranked server.

That and after playing CS for 6 - 7 years, it gets kind of boring.

Comment

I just wanted to say that I have no clue what you all are talking about...maybe its because I am a moron...no maybe not so much.....

Comment

LOL!

''would be nice to see them combine their ideas. CSS with ranks. BF2 with the reliability of the steam engine? Sweet. Though that CSS with ranks would make it even more 'elitist'''

rofl, Steam is the ****tiest program I have come across, seriously the coding is garbage and reliability of the Steam engine, if you think that you should be shot, it isn't reliable, go to steampowered.com and hit the forums up you will see all the problems, it doesn't like DMZ it doesn't like your firewall, it doesn't like your router. For such a expensive company the founder was part of Microsoft team wasn't he? and for such a badly coded program, amatures could do better, so really your ignorant to the facts.

Second part:

Valve/Steam has better anti-cheat - Yes
            Valve/Steam has better net code - uh, no
            Valve/Steam has better server browser - It's alright
            Valve/Steam has better pings - I had better pings on BF2
            Valve/Steam has better loading speeds - Obviously its much smaller and requires less.

So half of you who sit and bitch and complain about EA, its ironic how I do not have problems with them, I do with Steam though. I know alot of people who have troubles with Steam and their tech support just tell me the obvious, check firewall etc, come on. So back to the question is Valve better then EA. Nope.

Valve need to re-code their Steam program or crap the project entirely, so many people are against it, even Sierra the original creator of cs has their own program of Steamless cs 1.5/cs 1.6 etc called WON2, bassically you need the original disc installed say of cs, and you patch it with the WON2 file and put the WON2 server list file in your CS folder, then you can play without that excuse of a program:

Counter-Strike 1.5, Half-Life 1, Steamless CS Project, WON2, World Opponent Network 2, No-WON, Steamless, CS Beta, GoldSRC, Gold Source, CS 1.5, No-Steam

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal-Souljah
              LOL!

rofl, Steam is the ****tiest program I have come across, seriously the coding is garbage and reliability of the Steam engine, if you think that you should be shot, it isn't reliable, go to steampowered.com and hit the forums up you will see all the problems, it doesn't like DMZ it doesn't like your firewall, it doesn't like your router. For such a expensive company the founder was part of Microsoft team wasn't he? and for such a badly coded program, amatures could do better, so really your ignorant to the facts.
              http://www.steamlessproject.nl/v3/index.php?page=news
              I have had no outrageous problems with Steam...so I don't know what's wrong with your DMZ, firewall, router and etc...If you like to shoot people who say that something is reliable when it has been...then go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by scknight
                I have had no outrageous problems with Steam...so I don't know what's wrong with your DMZ, firewall, router and etc...If you like to shoot people who say that something is reliable when it has been...then go ahead.
                Thats not the point don't just acknowledge your own experience acknowledge the reality. When you buy a product you look for its reviews first don't you? you don't just buy it and hope for the best. For example, I was going to buy Dynasty Warriors, so I asked here, looked up ign and game rankings for reviews etc so I know if its going to be a reliable product that will be something I like.

Comment

Wow Souljah, got bias?

Steam had lots of problems at the start. but nowadays problems are rare.

Don't tell me to the visit the forums, I'm a regular there with over 2000 posts.

VAC2 is better than PB. PB used to Counter-strikes anti-cheat, but Valve ditched it due to the fact that it wasn't stopping jack sh*t and made their own anti-cheat program, wich works much better. I have played CS for years and the only place I have met cheaters is on unprotected servers.

Steams server browser is better than BF2's by miles. Although I'm sure that, as you're such an expert on the subject, you know all about it

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal-Souljah
                    Thats not the point don't just acknowledge your own experience acknowledge the reality. When you buy a product you look for its reviews first don't you? you don't just buy it and hope for the best. For example, I was going to buy Dynasty Warriors, so I asked here, looked up ign and game rankings for reviews etc so I know if its going to be a reliable product that will be something I like.
                    look...I can't speak for anyone else's experience.... I do not go to Valve communities. I don't know what the regular users have problems with. But I can speak for myself, and I have had no problems. I trusted Valve because I liked HL1, so I bought HL2...and they didn't let me down. I enjoyed that game, and I enjoyed CSS for a while and DoD too. But I don't play them as much as BF2. The games were reliable. Updates constantly. Lots of support...Sounds GOOD to me...

Comment

EA/DICE has ranks

I would dispute every one of those points as a long time steam user
                      1. Cheating in valve games is epidemic, in bf2 it's no where near as widespread as game destroying
                      2. Counterstrike took 3 years to have decent netcode for its game, netcode that is still not all that reliable
                      3. Having never had many problems with BF2's browser while steam game browsers lock up, give pings in the 20s only for you to join the server and have a 1000+ ping....
                      4. Steam games are as a rule less complex than BF2 - HL2DM is the only one taht comes close with its use of physics and anyone who has played that knows full well how bad the lag can get
                      5. Counterstrike has to load maps with monotone textures, no vehicles, at most 20 players, and a size of about the hotel area at Karkand at most.

Your arguments hold no water

EA/DICE has maps of several kilometres squared
                      EA/DICE has full vehicle implementation
                      EA/DICE has better gameplay
                      EA/DICE has less cheating in its games
                      EA/DICE has a working ranking system

Comment

Valve > DICE.

Sorry, I love Battlefield, but if I had to make a choice and only buy games from one developer, then it'd be Valve. When Valve make a game that's similar to Battlefield, my dreams will have become reality.

Comment

Originally posted by vets.Sarge
                          Wow Souljah, got bias?

Steam had lots of problems at the start. but nowadays problems are rare.

Don't tell me to the visit the forums, I'm a regular there with over 2000 posts.

VAC2 is better than PB. PB used to Counter-strikes anti-cheat, but Valve ditched it due to the fact that it wasn't stopping jack sh*t and made their own anti-cheat program, wich works much better. I have played CS for years and the only place I have met cheaters is on unprotected servers.

Steams server browser is better than BF2's by miles. Although I'm sure that, as you're such an expert on the subject, you know all about it
                          Not bias as such, I got fcuked over, I realized that. Hmm lets see Steam stops working last october, hmm why? okay lets contact Valve, tech support ask for a ''msinfo32 report'' (thats a report containing all info of your computer, hardware, software etc.) Alright sent. about a WEEK down the line a response of (exact source taken from the email:

''I can't find anything in the MSINfo file that's contributing to this. The only way to narrow this down is if you can try taking the router out of the DMZ or connecting directly to your modem. I'm sorry there isn't anything else I can offer.''

Well first off my router isn't and never has been in the DMZ.

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r
                            1. Cheating in valve games is epidemic, in bf2 it's no where near as widespread as game destroying
                            2. Counterstrike took 3 years to have decent netcode for its game, netcode that is still not all that reliable
                            3. Having never had many problems with BF2's browser while steam game browsers lock up, give pings in the 20s only for you to join the server and have a 1000+ ping....
                            4. Steam games are as a rule less complex than BF2 - HL2DM is the only one taht comes close with its use of physics and anyone who has played that knows full well how bad the lag can get
                            5. Counterstrike has to load maps with monotone textures, no vehicles, at most 20 players, and a size of about the hotel area at Karkand at most.

Cheating is far from epidemic. I have failed to see any cheaters over the past 2 years in any VAC-protected server.

The netcode argument is complete ********. It has been disproven many times and the main reason people think that the netcode is bad is either:

A) Due to a movie that used modified Cvars and bugs that have been fixed
                            B) Due to the fact that people play on low-tick servers
                            C) Because they screw about with their net settings, for instance cl_interp 0

CS:S has never and will never have Vehicles. It is a game featuring Terrorist and Counter-Terrorist operations in mostly urban environments, where vehicles are out of place.

The Physics doesn't cause lag at all, It simply takes a good server to run it.

20 ping in server browser, and 1000 ingame

You really seem to be talking out of your ass here

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r

So true.

And lol at the person saying VAC2 stops everything, ok so how come theres still people cheating with their own hacks?

Originally posted by vets.Sarge
                              Cheating is far from epidemic. I have failed to see any cheaters over the past 2 years in any VAC-protected server.

The netcode argument is complete ********. It has been disproven many times and the main reason people think that the netcode is bad is either:

A) Due to a movie that used modified Cvars and bugs that have been fixed
                              B) Due to the fact that people play on low-tick servers
                              C) Because they screw about with their net settings, for instance cl_interp 0

CS:S has never and will never have Vehicles. It is a game featuring Terrorist and Counter-Terrorist operations in mostly urban environments, where vehicles are out of place.

The Physics doesn't cause lag at all, It simply takes a good server to run it.

20 ping in server browser, and 1000 ingame

You really seem to be talking out of your ass here
                              You a Valve fanboy? eitherway you say you have over 2000 posts on the Steampowered forums and your telling me that Steam is reliable, go take a look I can bet theres topics all the way down about problems with this that and the next thing, not with cs or any of the games, but with Steam.

Comment

Working...
                              X