Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Small FPS Tweak

Originally posted by D|sso
    This is absolutely and utterly pointless.

There is no point of removing the frame cap unless it is at 30.

If it is capped at 99, the maximum your frames go will be 99, but that itself is fluid smooth. Uncapping it will allow it to extend higher, but what's the point?

This has no effect whatsoever when you enter a firefight. and the frames dip below the given 99. Nomatter if it's capped or not, It will dip to the same low framerate. The minimum framerate does not change. This is for people that are insecure about their specs and care more about individual frames that pure fluidness.
    The funny thing is that since I turned that lock off, I never went below 80FPS in a full 64-man server while in a firefight, as opposed to around 55FPS with it on. So no, I disagree - this is not pointless.

Nar- I can notice if the frames are lower than 60, trust me. Even at 59 I would notice a slight change.

Comment

Originally posted by FalloutYear
      The funny thing is that since I turned that lock off, I never went below 80FPS in a full 64-man server while in a firefight, as opposed to around 55FPS with it on. So no, I disagree - this is not pointless.

Nar- I can notice if the frames are lower than 60, trust me. Even at 59 I would notice a slight change.
      Uh

All the fps cap does it make it not go over 100 because those no reason for your video card to work that hard when you can't tell the difference anyway. It has zero effect on your "minimum" fps.

Comment

Originally posted by slidero
        Uh

All the fps cap does it make it not go over 100 because those no reason for your video card to work that hard when you can't tell the difference anyway. It has zero effect on your "minimum" fps.
        Agreed.

I will say it again. Despite what you may think, any differences you "see" and "feel" are all in your mind.

The cap does nothing but limit the frames from surpassing a number that simply is pointless.

Comment

I don't believe you went from ~100 to ~170!

So, my Geforce 6200 running medium settings, with this small tweak, will go from 5 FPS to 75 FPS? And it running high settings will go from 1 FPS to 71 FPS? (!!!)

Okay, maybe not, it doesn't work that way. Only useful for people who get high framerates in the first place. But from 100 to 170 is too big of a jump to be believeable for me.

Comment

Originally posted by coolbho3000
            I don't believe you went from ~100 to ~170!

So, my Geforce 6200 running medium settings, with this small tweak, will go from 5 FPS to 75 FPS? And it running high settings will go from 1 FPS to 71 FPS? (!!!)

Okay, maybe not, it doesn't work that way. Only useful for people who get high framerates in the first place. But from 100 to 170 is too big of a jump to be believeable for me.
            Your not understanding it. At default the game is locked to 100fps, which means if your card is capable of more, it just won't render anything over 100fps. It doesn't give you more FPS it just uncapps it.

Comment

Most movies and TV series has a lot of static filming. The camera is standing still while objects in the film are moving. As soon as the camera starts to pan (atleast if it goes too fast) the landscape will get blurred. In a FPS game you are basically seeing the world through a camera. If you run the game at 25 FPS and keep the camera still you wont notice anything. If you move it around slowly you still wont notice much. But if you increase the speed of movement you can no longer see what happens in the surroundings while you move around. What FPS you need to keep a clear stable image while you move around is debatable, but I personally notice it as soon as FPS drops to 50 - 60. You can easily test this by locking the FPS to 25 in BF2. You can turn on vsync to avoid tearing.

Comment

30 FPS is all you need for the human eye to see smooth animation. You won't notice the difference if it's higher anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by govedob
                  30 FPS is all you need for the human eye to see smooth animation. You won't notice the difference if it's higher anyway.
                  shut up shut up SHUT UP NO

Comment

A common misconseption. The eye can detect higher.
                    Give me a few and I'll dig up some text to back up my point.

Here you go. It's a good read.

Comment

Dont say anything without prouving it...

u gotta learn... google.com

Comment

guys guys guys - this is all OLD news. People were fiddling with this about 8 months ago lol. Even i played around with it... that was until we all discovered that it is generally accepted that it doesnt affect your average FPS WHATSOEVER! thats why no one talks about it anymore haha All it does is unlock the cap - not give your video card mystical powers of extra FPS creation!

It seems alot of people here are experiencing the same placebo effect as others back then

so sorry to burst the bubble - but there is no magic console script to improve your FPS. end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
                          A common misconseption. The eye can detect higher.
                          Give me a few and I'll dig up some text to back up my point.

Here you go. It's a good read.
                          http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_3.html
                          OK so 60. What's the purpose of you people trying to get over 100 fps then?

Comment

Originally posted by Nar1117
                            but you shouldnt bother playing if you get a consistent FPS of below 20.
                            My average FPS is 18-22 while im flying with nothing to tax my system, Im usually at 15 FPS during the entire game. It doesnt bother me though, Ive been playing like that since BF2 came out back in July. Technically my Comp isnt even supposed to run BF2 so I should count my blessings.

Comment

Working...
                            X