Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desert Combat VS BF2 for the noobs like me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Combat VS BF2 for the noobs like me.

How similiar are they? My cousin wants to get into some BF action but his computer sucks balls and all he can run is 1942 if he got more memory. I did a bit of research on DC and it seems strikingly similiar to BF2. I admit, I've never played BF1942 or DC, my BF2 career started with BF2. (i did not make a typo :P). Do people even still play it?

Re: Desert Combat VS BF2 for the noobs like me.

I don't know about people still playing it, but it was really really fun while people did.

They're not the same btw, DC had wayyyy more vehicles, more weapons.. I mean come on, guided SCUD missle? Hind-D with 48 dumbfire and a 20mm DU cannon?

A C-130 totalling 4 chainguns and a 120mm howitser?

DC > BF2 in almost all regards EXCEPT. EXCEPT the flying capabilities (and of course, squad functions etc but those are integral to the engine in question) ie helicopter you needed to keep tapping w just to hover. For me at least, dodging, maintaining height AND shooting became a task you betchya

Comment

strafing with the chopper in dc was/is wickedly fun, but the zsu's could take you out quick. i played a lil dc just about a month ago, and was bout to start playing w/ the -MM- clan that was reviving their dc server, but then my fan on my video card went out. it is definitely fun, even if you've played bf2 before.
      there are just less bells and whistles, and the gui isnt as honed. but if his system can only handle 42 if he gets more ram, you might want to get that ram. some of the big maps w/ water would cause some serious stuttering, for me at least.

Comment

Yes, in DC you actually had to learn how to fly a chopper, but it was worth it, because a: it was more fun b: you could do things that are impossible in BF2

Comment

DC was the absolute best at the time...Completely diff to BF2 except the theatre its based in. However, i found the netcode to be solid as (more so than BF2, but there was a lot less going on). I still played prior to getting Bf2 about 3 months ago tag was nG.Ozz. Best bits:

AT kit had stingers...choppers were 2 hit wonders, planes were 1
          Snipers could spot for artillery
          It was possible for tanks to shoot down planes
          tanks shot down choppers with 1 round
          Some maps were "push" maps...u had to get bases in order
          Some maps were objective based (cant remem names) 1 team tried to blow weapon bunkers while the other defended, or once hangers were blown no spawning planes etc.
          IT WAS A FREE MOD that had countless patches and support
          Had Basrahs edge map (read MAshtuur city)
          Had more types of chopper than BF2

Comment

Originally posted by O2zi3
            DC was the absolute best at the time...Completely diff to BF2 except the theatre its based in. However, i found the netcode to be solid as (more so than BF2, but there was a lot less going on). I still played prior to getting Bf2 about 3 months ago tag was nG.Ozz. Best bits:

AT kit had stingers...choppers were 2 hit wonders, planes were 1
            Snipers could spot for artillery
            It was possible for tanks to shoot down planes
            tanks shot down choppers with 1 round
            Some maps were "push" maps...u had to get bases in order
            Some maps were objective based (cant remem names) 1 team tried to blow weapon bunkers while the other defended, or once hangers were blown no spawning planes etc.
            IT WAS A FREE MOD that had countless patches and support
            Had Basrahs edge map (read MAshtuur city)
            Had more types of chopper than BF2
            All this information is making me wonder if I should buy 1942 and get DC as well. It's dirty f'ing cheap now. What other BF2 maps are in 1942? I heard gulf of oman was originally a 1942 map.

Comment

Originally posted by bitvomit
              What other BF2 maps are in 1942? I heard gulf of oman was originally a 1942 map.
              If it was they changed it a fair bit cos i dont recognise it. Wake is the only 1 i know of, and in the 1942 version you could enter all the buildings and you had F*&# off Defguns.........oh and i forgot, u could pilot the ships and yuse the guns..and there were submarines....omg i going to have to reinstall it

Comment

AFAIR, BF2 is based on DC.

DC requires more skill when you get in the air since it only has dumbfire rockets. No "tv-missiles" or anything crazy like that. And the helicopters don't have that stabilizing factor that has been implemented in BF2. It's a modification of a 1942 fighter plane with a heckofalot more torque and no aerodynamic lift that has been turned vertical. Which means it's sort of like balancing a ball on your finger. This might sound negative, but that's not the whole picture. DC offers a LOT more control over your helo.

EDIT, there were stationary "tv-missiles", but there were no fire and forget-missiles.

Comment

I never really liked DC. It has a lot more bugs and balance issues than '42, BF2 or BF:V....and don't forget that it was an unsupported 3rd party mod.

Comment

Originally posted by MooneyBravo
                    and don't forget that it was an unsupported 3rd party mod.

unsupported my arse........there were at least 10 content patches for DC over about 2 yrs culminating with DC Final, with at least 10 new map introduced as a result. The DC team were legends for the work they put in for free....it paid off though cos i think the team were employed by DICE to help develop BF2

Comment

Originally posted by bitvomit
                      How similiar are they? My cousin wants to get into some BF action but his computer sucks balls and all he can run is 1942 if he got more memory. I did a bit of research on DC and it seems strikingly similiar to BF2. I admit, I've never played BF1942 or DC, my BF2 career started with BF2. (i did not make a typo :P). Do people even still play it?
                      BF2 was made by Dice, which bought Trauma studios which in turn made DC to begin with. DC was fun, it had it's frustrating moments, but then again tell me one game that doesn't. DC had it's day, it was really fun. But the current thing is BF2. Many die hard DC players strongly dislike BF2 (they think it sucks balls) because they feel that it should have been the same thing as DC only with better graphics and updated whatever else.
                      It is not meant to be the same thing, it's another game made by an expanded group of programmers, modelers, mappers, etc. You buddy is eventually going to have to get a better computer. The next lineup of games looks like it will require a lot more power (ram/gpu/cpu) to run at all. Start saving!

Comment

DC was great fun, but face it we were all Beta Testers for them, not saying it wasn't fun, but damn we played through a lot of odd things, remember the sniper stinger missile? remember the AC-130 gunship with the howitzer that would wipe out the entire Opp. Main base with one round, until they changed it's power?

Oh yeah great game, but all feedback and beta testing is what got it to where it is today. I wouldn't take back a minute of it either.

Although I loved to play DCX and DC Final they were miles away from BF2 as far as environment, graphics and sounds. BF2 is amazing and if you think you remember DC as being so awesome, it's because you haven't loaded it lately, I did recently and played a few hours of CTF with jet powered cars and it was ok, but it sure was ugly compared to BF2.

BF2 is much more immersive then DC ever was. But DC is a cheap game to play compared to BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by BadLizzard
                          remember the sniper stinger missile?
                          Ahhh the memories....was gutted when they nerfed that.
                          remember the AC-130 gunship with the howitzer that would wipe out the entire Opp. Main base with one round, until they changed it's power?
                          And the scud spam too was a nightmare

Although I loved to play DCX and DC Final they were miles away from BF2 as far as environment, graphics and sounds. BF2 is amazing and if you think you remember DC as being so awesome, it's because you haven't loaded it lately, I did recently and played a few hours of CTF with jet powered cars and it was ok, but it sure was ugly compared to BF2.

BF2 is much more immersive then DC ever was. But DC is a cheap game to play compared to BF2.
                          i have to agree there, but the gameplay was king and in that respect similar to BF2. DC was the forefather....the birth of the jihad jeep, HALO parachuting and blackhawk whoring.

Comment

One of the things I really liked about DC over BF2 was the ground war could go on without constant worry about what was happening in the air. Only the SU and A-10 could drop bombs, which meant most of the pilots concentrated on taking each other out. If one side had superior air power, well it got ugly on the ground for the other team, but there was so many ways to defend against air attacks. BF2 lost that and made most of the big maps a pilots shooting gallery.

I miss some of the maps too,
                            Lost Village
                            El Alamein
                            Gazala
                            Wake Island
                            Khafji Docks
                            Basrahs Edge
                            Basrah Nights
                            Desert Shield

Good times, but the game play is just not the same and too many people that haven't played it would likely start petitions to get rid of the C4 chucking (yes it's in the game) or RPG sniping or the way over-powered VSS.

Comment

DC is superior to bf2 exept graphic

Comment

Working...
                              X