OK ... Why AMD Not P4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK ... Why AMD Not P4?

Ok ... Im finally ready to build my long awaited computer. I am currently using a 1.4 Ghz processor ... As you may have guessed ... cannot play BF2 and must play on my friends comp (everyday ... ) So here is my question to you all ... MANY MANY MANY of you use AMD, Why this and not P4 ? Is it better buy for your buck OR better for online games OR what is it? Also, heres a list of my parts/budget and maybe you can tell me if I should change some thing

Intel Pentium 4 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775
    GeIL 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory
    connect3D Radeon X800GTO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCIE x16 Video Card
    Foxconn LGA 775) Intel 915P Intel Motherboard ( 4GB MAX RAM)
    Western 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 HD

ANY TIPS WOULD HELP

P.S. My Budget is about 700 bucks, may end 750 or so

Re: OK ... Why AMD Not P4?

i ehar AMD runs games better somehow, while p4 is for data processing like business stuff, not sure tho.

Comment

Oh and the hard drive, whats the name of the hard drive that is like 2-in-1 hardrives for quicker access? Ontop of that, Is this setup enough to go lag-free on BF2?

Comment

Couple tips:

Yes, AMD processors are better bang for the buck. The clock slower in terms of raw ghz, but that's misleading. An AMD clocked the same as a P4 will out preform the comitition. For more info on that, I'd suggest you google "AMD vs Intel".

I've heard that ATI cards don't preform as well as nVidia for BF2. I can't elaborate much on that since I can't directly compare, but this is what I've heard many times.

You want more RAM than that!! Get atleast a Gig in there to make you happy. Not only will it improve your gaming preformance (drasticly), but all applications will be happier and you'll simply have fewer headaches.

Comment

News and reviews of PC components, smartphones, tablets, pre-built desktops, notebooks, Macs and enterprise/cloud computing technologies.

Look at the benchmarks there. AMD pwns the crap out of Intel in gaming...

Comment

To be honest i would get some more money Before trying to build a computer for gaming, that is the kind of budget you would have for a computer you want to do work on.

Comment

AMD simply outperforms Intel at gaming applications.

Plus..you get the added benefit of them being cheaper.

BUT..they do run hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
                AMD simply outperforms Intel at gaming applications.

Plus..you get the added benefit of them being cheaper.

BUT..they do run hotter.
                Actually Intel's (especially Prescotts) run considerably higher than AMD's, sometimes even 10C higher...

Comment

I guess I'm not as up-to-date with the latest set of processors...don't AMDs use more power?

Comment

Originally posted by shadow_vision
                    Oh and the hard drive, whats the name of the hard drive that is like 2-in-1 hardrives for quicker access? Ontop of that, Is this setup enough to go lag-free on BF2?
                    You are talking about SATA RAIDS. I had one of these setup with 2 Seagate 250 gig drives.

These are quite easy to setup, but if one of your hard drives dies, you have to reinstall and you lose all your data. Happened to me last month.

To be honest, the loading performance is marginal.

Comment

I can get 1 Gig Max RAM on my budget ... anything more will force me to upgrade my motherboard and take away from money needed to be spent on Process/Vid card :hmm:

Also phsyco ... If I had more money believe me, It would go here ... but all I would like to have is medium graphics on Bf2 no lag ... but that seems to be a difficult challenge

Also, I assumed that AMD was better for gaming but still went ahead and did ALL my research on the Pentiums ... now I need help, I need a suggestion of a good AMD processor between the price range of 160-185$. If good means 300 bucks to ya then just name one within my price range

Comment

AMD64 3000+ or 3200+ should fit that range.

Comment

''Nothing beats Pentium's clock speed, everything beats its performance.''
                          -XoX1de

AMD has changed idea to develop their architech at place of the clock speed. That's why they performs better in games

2.0Ghz A64 mobile = 3.6Ghz P4 ingame. That's the difference

Comment

Dude! anyone tell me if this is good buy? ... thats so damn cheap and doesnt sound too bad

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Comment

nono DO NOT get that. AMD sempron processers are NOT good for gaming, not close to as good as the AMD Athlon 64 processer series is. Second, the graphics card is a geforce 4mx, you CANNOT play bf2 on that. and its AGP so you dont have that good of upgrade options. as for the ram, its good, but you should have like a gig.

Comment

Working...
                              X