Yay, 3.6ghz !!!!1!!!1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yay, 3.6ghz !!!!1!!!1

Bah... I suppose I really ought to be able to outdo you with my Q9450, but I really can't be bothered; I'm not using its full potential at 3.2GHz as it stands.

Comment

Before i overclocked, i was getting about 15,500 points. CPU doesn't make that much difference in 3Dmark so it's somewhat unhelpful.

There is absolutely no reason to leave loadline calibration disabled. It can cause the CPU to become unstable as the voltage drops over time (known as Vdroop). We don't want that now!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
        Before i overclocked, i was getting about 15,500 points. CPU doesn't make that much difference in 3Dmark so it's somewhat unhelpful.

There is absolutely no reason to leave loadline calibration disabled. It can cause the CPU to become unstable as the voltage drops over time (known as Vdroop). We don't want that now!

Apparently 45nm chips respond badly to LLC due to having more delicate transistors.

Comment

Yeah, i heard that. I'm using a larger die shrink which has been shown to work well with LLC. I actually suspect the 45nm and LLC problem is down to the motherboards themselves rather than the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
            Yes there is, especially for 45nm processors. Vdroop prevents the motherboard from overcompensating to the change from idle to load voltages and creating dangerous voltage spikes.

Comment

Yea, i said that later on. I was referring to my Q6600

Comment

alex the 9x multi is great, way more stable then, 7 or 8, etc etc..try it with less voltage man...i just turned mine way down 1.4 and im still running fine...i gota stress it but it seems normal..i nocked the nb down also..i think u can run at those clocks with less voltage...

Comment

Nah, it wasn't stable with less voltage, i suspect you have a CPU with a smaller VID.

Comment

no i got the q66 and the asus p5k deluxe ..what you reccomended..look at my specs..i run it at 1.4 or something i could probably go lower even i think...

Comment

4ghz?

What temps on Orthos are you getting (remember to run two instances)?

Also, what VID does it have (Coretemp will tell you)?

Comment

no no windows wont post with 4 ghz for me..vista, xp, win 2k, 2008 server none of them will post with 4ghz for me....

so i backed it down to 3.5 or so..

it just wont frekin post ive trield so many diffrent rashios its unreal ...
                        im still messing with it to get it stable and cool also..
                        was 90 to 100 deg temps on 4 ghz
                        now its 85 or 90 something...

Comment

Use a 333mhz FSB/Memory strap instead of the default 266mhz one.

Comment

if u put it to auto alex i should figure it out for you right?
                            so your saying 4 ghz will run on windows?
                            i never seen it ..

Comment

It will work, but usually only with watercooling. The standard 266mhz (1066mhz) FSB/memory strap is a little aggressive. To get 3.6ghz i changed mine to 333mhz (1333mhz) FSB/Memory strap. It enabled me to achieve a much higher FSB.

266mhz (1066mhz) hits a FSB wall at about 400mhz.

Comment

ill have to play with the numbers later man..thanks for the advice info and help. " ill let ya know what i come up with..but seruiously..3.5ghz is really enough for me ...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X