Vista or XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista or XP

Reason I'm making this thread is that I'm getting a new system this week, and I'm considering running games on DX10, and I know games like Crysis have a patch which allows them to run DX10 under XP. The reason I stayed XP for this long is that Vista doesn't have all the hardware drivers compatible and I hear people were having problems, and some still do.

So is it worth changing the OS just to play games on DX 10 high setting or is it not much of a difference? I plan on getting Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit ($174 USD), I just think Home Edition is just not worth the money.

I know Vista is better at least theoretically, but until its all ironed out and fixed XP will be better, since most software was developed specifically for XP. So guys post your opinions Vista or XP. And hows SP1 did it fix much?

Re: Vista or XP

Microsoft just stop the sales of XP, soon most outlets will run out so might as well just go with Vista and save the trouble of upgrading later.

Comment

Ive been running vista ultimate for about a year now and I haven't had that much problems. I can understand people that don't know anything about computers getting frustrated with vista. But most problems I have run into are minor and I can figure them out pretty easily. My games also run good and my computer isn't all that great.

Comment

I have been running Vista Business X64 since last summer and have had absolutely 0 BSOD's. I have only come across one incompatibility whereby i couldn't install ATI tool because of the signed signatures. All i did was download the latest beta version which fixed it.

It's time to make the jump to Vista

Comment

I've had vista home premium x64 since october and only encountered one problem where i could not install vista with 4GB or RAM in, this waws easily fixed by installing vista with only 2GB in.
          Vista itself has caused no BSODs or anything, that was just my bad overclocks causing my RAM to be unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by impl View Post
            I've had vista home premium x64 since october and only encountered one problem where i could not install vista with 4GB or RAM in, this waws easily fixed by installing vista with only 2GB in.
            Vista itself has caused no BSODs or anything, that was just my bad overclocks causing my RAM to be unstable.
            I believe having SP1 streamlined onto the disk fixed this

Comment

I've been running vista home premium x64 since February, and had no problems with any games yet. The only games I've installed on it are:
              BF2
              BF2142
              Bioshock
              HL2:Orange pack

Comment

Thanks I think I'll pick up Vista tomorrow.

Comment

Which version?

Comment

In my opinion, if your getting vista, I would just get home premium (either regular or x64). ultimate doesn't offer anything more unless you need the bitlocker encryption. home premium has everything including media center and aero interface.
                    "Crunch's First Officer"
                    twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Seconded, Home Premium X64.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
                        Thirdeded

Comment

Originally posted by signa View Post
                          In my opinion, if your getting vista, I would just get home premium (either regular or x64). ultimate doesn't offer anything more unless you need the bitlocker encryption. home premium has everything including media center and aero interface.

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post

Originally posted by pennywise[XV] View Post
                          Thirdeded

Fourthed...ed?? Point is go vista, definitely worth it. One recommendation, go to newegg and get it OEM. No manual but much cheaper.

Comment

The only compability issue I had was that I couldn't run SimCity 2000 (that is from 1993 anyway)

Go with Vista, it's worth it no matter what the XP fanboys say

Comment

Originally posted by Voop_Bacon
                              Fourthed...ed?? Point is go vista, definitely worth it. One recommendation, go to newegg and get it OEM. No manual but much cheaper.
                              Fifthed

Comment

Working...
                              X