Plans for New Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans for New Rig

Ok, I had planned to wait for the intel price drops to consider buying another computer, and now they are here. So here are the specs that i have picked out and would love for you guys to comment on them. Also, I have decided to reuse my x1900xt 512mb until I feel that I need to purchase a 8800 or something when their prices drop. alrighty here they are. (prices are in CDN)

Processer: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box
    Price: $289.99

Motherboard: ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP ATX LGA775 P35 DDR2 1333FSB 2PCI-E16 3PCI 2PCI-E1 SATA2 Sound Motherboard
    Price: $233.99

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio
    Price: $108.99

Powersupply: Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E
    Price: $138.99

Memory: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory
    Price: $149.99

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
    Price: $93.83

DVD Writer: LG GSA-H54N DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL 10X DVD Writer IDE 2MB Black OEM W/ SW
    Price: $31.99

Fan(s): Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120MM Cooling Fan 1200RPM 20.1DBA 49.0CFM FDB
    Price: $11.99

Total Cost: $1,094.14 CDN

All comments are welcomed, thanks in advance!

edit:
    All products are from http://www.ncix.com

Re: Plans for New Rig

why 2 additional case fans?

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto View Post
      why 2 additional case fans?
      Because it has the option of using 2 extra 120mm fans, so I decided to make use of it.

- 1 top 200mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control
      - 1 rear 120mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control
      - 2 front 120mm special black TriCool blue LED fans with 3-speed switch control to cool HDDs
      - 1 side (optional) 120mm fan to cool graphic cards
      - 1 middle (optional) 120mm fan to cool CPU or graphic cards

Comment

Graphics Card? Are you keeping the ATI listed in the sig for your other rig?

Comment

That looks like an awesome build.

The xx50's are out now to with 1,333 Mhz fsb and "go" stepping. I don't really know if that means all that much but maybe you want to look into those too?

Ps. I use that case and get along perfectly fine without the additional two fans. If you got as many wires as I got inside mine your gonna prolly want to use one of the bays to cram em in there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Man View Post
            Graphics Card? Are you keeping the ATI listed in the sig for your other rig?
            Yea, I'm keeping the ATI X1900XT 512mb in my sig to use in the new rig until I feel the need to purchase a dx10 card whenever I decide to upgrade to vista or when the prices drop.

Comment

I would suggest two things.

The first is to only get one additional fan. Whilst you can fit another one behind the hard drive cage, all it does is take up precious room. It also looks a bit silly.

Secondly, for the love of god, do not get the X-Fi XtremeAudio. It isn't actually built using an X-Fi chip. Go for either the XtremeGamer, but preferably the XtremeMusic.

Comment

I've got the tri-cools that came with my p180. They aren't terrible, but I wouldn't actually pay money for them separately from the case.

vantec stealth 120
                panaflo
                arctic cooling...

...to name a few.

Comment

I own the nine hundred but im regretful I bought it, the grill gets way too dusty and I also how to modify the back panel for my GFX card's DVI plug to fit my monitor cord...

Comment

Originally posted by System
                    That looks like an awesome build.

The xx50's are out now to with 1,333 Mhz fsb and "go" stepping. I don't really know if that means all that much but maybe you want to look into those too?

Ps. I use that case and get along perfectly fine without the additional two fans. If you got as many wires as I got inside mine your gonna prolly want to use one of the bays to cram em in there.
                    I was looking at the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 3.0GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail because it's only $3 dollars difference but i really don't have any idea what "go" stepping means nor how I gain from having a slightly higher fsb. As far as the case goes that's why I selected the modular PSU so I can use just the cables I want and also I'm thinking of just getting 1 extra fan for the side.

To reply to Alex98uk, i'll just not get an extra soundcard considering I won't notice much difference from what I'm using now on the new mobo.

To reply to megawhompertoo, i'll going to get just 1 Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120MM Cooling Fan 1200RPM 20.1DBA 49.0CFM FDB for the side. It's $10 too.

EDIT:

I'm really not sure what case I should get now because I was also considering getting another P180 but the P182 although I was kinda disappointed with mine because I had to keep getting my fans replaced because they were dying all the time and it's not all the quiet. Any suggestions as far as similar cases with really good airflow?

EDIT2:

The P182 is looking a lot better now after watching some videos on it, so right now I've put it as my selected case but im still up for suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper1432 View Post
                      I own the nine hundred but im regretful I bought it, the grill gets way too dusty and I also how to modify the back panel for my GFX card's DVI plug to fit my monitor cord...
                      That was a known fault and Antec were replacing those models with newer ones for free. They might still do it if you complain.

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
                        That was a known fault and Antec were replacing those models with newer ones for free. They might still do it if you complain.
                        meh its not worth taking it apart again even though I had to pry the back with a wrench

Comment

Originally posted by Addequate View Post
                          EDIT:
                          I'm really not sure what case I should get now because I was also considering getting another P180 but the P182 although I was kinda disappointed with mine because I had to keep getting my fans replaced because they were dying all the time and it's not all the quiet. Any suggestions as far as similar cases with really good airflow?

EDIT2:

The P182 is looking a lot better now after watching some videos on it, so right now I've put it as my selected case but im still up for suggestions.
                          as you know, working in a p180 series is a labor of love.

and much cussing.

i'm dreading (ok, not so much melodrama) the upgrade to a core2 (or quad...if they get a little cheaper) when i'll install a slightly better hsf.

if i was doing it again, i'd be thinking either the 900, or an aluminum one from lian-li:

and i think i'd lean toward the lian-li...that's a schweeet looking case, imho.

Comment

Thermaltake Tsunami Dream.

Dunno how good the fans are out of the box because I replaced them with Zalman ones the second I got the case but other than that it looks good and keeps the bits cool.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Man View Post
                              Thermaltake Tsunami Dream.

Dunno how good the fans are out of the box because I replaced them with Zalman ones the second I got the case but other than that it looks good and keeps the bits cool.
                              Yea, that's not too bad but I think I'm going to stick with the P182 because I've been spending a lot of today looking at cases and nothing really seems to compare to the P182 with it's looks and accessories unless I want to spend more.

Comment

Working...
                              X