Building a gaming computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a gaming computer

Really, this is good advice. Ditch the Sound Card and speakers and put the extra money into getting a 7900 GT. Just get a cheap pair of headphones. I have like a ten dollar pair from wal-mart and they work great. I have had absolutely no problems with them. My friend uses his onboard sound and can run the sound quality at medium and high.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenNevets
      Ok... so both the monitor and motherboard chosen have speakers/on board sound
      I don't expect anything amazing but they both should work together decently right?
      the build in speakers are int he monitor. the sound processing (and the plugs where you plug the speakers into) are on the motherboard. so since you have a dual core CPU and you're only doing the 2.1 speakers you can just plug the speakers into the motherboard. a sound card basically just takes the job of processing the sound away from the CPU so it can work more on the game. sometimes it gets you SLIGHTLY better fps. but that processor won't have any problems doing the sound for you. I use onboard sound for my 5.1 speakers and my co worker has the same setup I have only with the x-fi sound card and we get the same fps.

Originally posted by venny
      well, onboard sound, built in speakers. u are fine with sound. hmm, i didnt know there were so many problems with the 7900gt perhaps its from a particular vendor: eVGA?
      it appears to be from all vendors and nvidia was blaming it ont he companies for overclocking the cards. EVGA just seems to be doing more to help the customers and they probably sell more cards than anyone so of course they will have more problems.

Comment

I'm considering a 7900gt now.. you guys suggest EVGA?

and if I ever wanted to go SLI in the future thats not about that card, its about if the motherboard supports 2 cards?

Pretty sure on the above but I want to check

Problems... what type of problems

Comment

EVGA has a lifetime warranty and really good customer service.

and yes just make sure you get an SLI motherboard and you'll be fine if you wanted to go SLI in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by rha600
            EVGA has a lifetime warranty and really good customer service.

and yes just make sure you get an SLI motherboard and you'll be fine if you wanted to go SLI in the future.
            I could always buy a new mobo and a 2nd video card in the future too?

right now my budget is to tight for an SLI mobo but it sounds reasonable in the future

Comment

yes you need to have an SLi mobo AND you have to know whether your PSU is SLi ready...if you get it from new egg and go to detailed specifications it tells you whether its SLi ready or not..and yes you can just buy another vid card if you get an SLi mobo

Comment

It gets to expensive with the whole SLI process (even later it would be atleast another $400)

without SLI mode is the differnce between a 7600 gt and 7900 gt that big?

plus you guys said a 7600 gt already runs Bf2 on high (seems like such a waste to go higher)

So again how much better is the 7900 gt than the 7600 gt?

Comment

Well people have been having A LOT of issues with the 7600GT and for future games it will run them better than the 7600GT..Ill get a comparison in a second hold on

The 7600GT has a higher core clock, they have the same memory clock, the 7900GT has a higher max res.

The main difference is that the 7900 has double the pixel pipelines than the 7600GT, 12 vs. 24

And if youre going to get the 7600 GT make sure you get this one because it can support SLi...i think thats right idk though...

Comment

A little thing, people are having lots of problems with 7900GTs, not 7600GTs. Anyways, get eVga, XFX or BFG, all have great warranty (lifetime, and is not voided with OCing i believe). SO if your 7900GT is oneof the crap ones that has problems RMA and you'll get another one w/o hassle.

Comment

being that its my first time building staying away from problems is up near the top of my list

whats the differnce between these 2 cards? (besides the $10)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130017
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130283

Comment

Basically, nothing.

Newegg is proud to offer United States the best prices, fast shipping and top-rated customer service for Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics and more!

Comment

Originally posted by StevenNevets
                          being that its my first time building staying away from problems is up near the top of my list

whats the differnce between these 2 cards? (besides the $10)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130017
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130283
                          Would suggest you look at getting a card with a 256bit memory interface. 16 pixel pipelines wouldn't ever hurt, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. 4thebeavers
                            hmm.. does one not have any items in the package or did they just not list them

Comment

I really dont know...probably they dont come? But i dont think they are necessary...

Comment

Better safe than sorry

Last concern: RAM

The RAM I have chosen now is INTEL ONLY but aparently can be for AMD if I raise the voltage (that doesn't sound so promosing)

Is this RAM below any good?
                                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227089

Comment

Working...
                                X