The Current State of Call of Duty - Opinion Piece by Torchwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current State of Call of Duty - Opinion Piece by Torchwood

Community member, Torchwood, has written up a brief but thought-provoking piece on the current state of the Call of Duty franchise.
    In the aftermath of last weeks shock 'announcement' regarding Modern Warfare 2 and its lack of 'multi player-love' for PC Gamers, things are starting to calm down and people are starting to gain perspective.

Initially, when I first heard about the changes to the PC version, my reaction was to never ever buy this game and rip Infinity Ward a new one. I unearthed several petitions and videos and signatures trying to instigate an undoing of what some have dubbed, the worst PC failure since Frontlines: Fuel of War. However, since the start of the week, the outrage seems to have lessened and it got me thinking about the changes and what difference they would actually make to the game itself.

Is your interest piqued? It should be! Be sure to read the rest of Torchwood's piece over in our articles section.

Re: The Current State of Call of Duty - Opinion Piece by Torchwood

Interesting reaction from the PC community, sure IW will be back soon with another PC classic.

Comment

I'm still not buying the game. I'll wait for a patch or a different Multiplayer FPS game to come along, even if it's BF BC2.

Comment

I'd wait till the direction changes

Comment

Congrats torchwood!

Comment

The thing that annoys me is the fact that even though i hate IW and dont want them to have my money, im still going to be purchasing the 360 version.

Comment

Or you could save $60 and borrow a friends copy for the only remaining part thats worth while, the single player

Comment

Originally posted by Voop_Bacon
                Or you could save $60 and borrow a friends copy for the only remaining part thats worth while, the single player
                It's tied to your STEAM account, no lending or reselling. I'm sorry, but a move as big as not allowing dedicated servers is no small object. In fact, one of the major reasons as to why the PC gaming community has reacted towards this revelation so strongly is that IW has barely said anything to dispel IW.net rumors. To think that if they knew it worked well, they would have come out and defended it till the death, but no, they have ignored us.

Comment

The 360 version isnt tied to your steam account?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                    The 360 version isnt tied to your steam account?
                    Yes, yes it is.

On topic. I cannot agree with this article. Giving IW the benefit of the doubt is impossible if we know for a fact that there wont be any mods and P2P matchmaking will take most of the options and control away.

Comment

How does that stop from you going over and playing it. Thats the plan for me and my room mate if I manage to get the game for Christmas lol

Comment

lol at "resistance is futile", watch me as I don't buy this game.

Dedicated servers is no joke and no small omission.

The first Call of Duty's SP was the best, didn't enjoy CoD2 and didn't even play CoD4.

Comment

Well, Chris. It's an opinion piece. My reaction to the facts.
                          You and I obviously get different things from the game.

If you've got yourself a good story-driven singleplayer, the multiplayer is usually just an expansion of that, using the same weapons, areas etc..

Gears of War, for me personally, was a letdown on the multiplayer side of things however, the story and singleplayer experience was good enough for me to still class it as a good game.

Call of Duty 4's Singleplayer was well directed, immersive and damn right fun to play. Just because they've 'tweaked' some options and removed some other options on the multiplayer side of things does in no way mean that the singleplayer story is going to be any less great than 4's was.

My piece was not necessarily Pro-IW as i like most people have been dismayed at the recent news, but more, food for thought. I looked at what games i like and why i like them.

I guess you have to ask yourself, how different is this going to make the game for you and whether its worth spending the extra money on the game.

This was never, I'm right, your wrong. I'm just explaining why i'm still buying the game despite being a little let down.

Comment

Theres not a single post in the entire internet, not a single shred of opinion that has ever expressedany doubts about MW2 single player aspect. The most recent issue, and thats the *spoiled part of the game* is simply controversial, and people dont doubt that its going to be pulled out well.

COD single player experience, in my books, has always been overly scripted, cheap methods at creating hectic battles that work for most, and this hasnt changed. Enough videos of single player part of the game show that MW2 will not be any different.

However, youre severely, and I cant stress this out enough- *severely* underestimating the multiplayer as being a major, most important part of why most people will buy the game. This is all about multiplayer right now. And here we can use facts, figures, statistics and numbers to prove that there isnt a single aspect of why P2P is superior to dedicated servers. Exception being content control, which is exactly why the communit is pissed.

For those who will buy the game for SP, their expectations will most probably be fulfilled and then some. For those people who will buy it for MP and on the PC, they are going to get majorly screwed, across all comparable spectrums.

And because youre not really taking into account the actual decline in multiplayer experience when we compare technical networking solutions, and ask to give benefit of the doubt to a company who hasnt "let us down before", I cannot agree with you because youre trivializing the fact that everything has changed now.

Comment

I'm sorry but with COD4, after playing other games and trying it you notice how...well...

rubbish it is, it feels so fake, monotonous, some people like the constant scripted action, it can produce some nice set pieces but overall it lacks any depth or satisfaction tbh

Comment

Working...
                              X