Classics in Gaming: Fallout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Classics in Gaming: Fallout

What other gaming genre (racing, strategy, mmo, etc.) would you like to see a Fallout game take place in and why?

Only registered TGN users can enter. We will select the best answer tomorrow to win a #ClassicsInGaming Fallout! So get your answers in and tell us what genre and why!

Comment

A city building game that you can use the G.E.C.K. Because using it in real time would be awesome.

Comment

Well I would say action, but seeing how BoS turned out, I wouldn't reccomend it.

One genre fallout would be awesome could be RTS, kind of like AoE, with a little bit of something like SimCity.
        It could be something like, wastelanders, Raiders, Super mutants, Enclave, and each group could have their own special units (wastelanders could have tamed Yao Guais, Super mutants could have all their variations and the Centaurs) and they could gather resources like water (you run out, and have to find more, or can find extra-radioactive water that will last more but weaken your units) dunno, it could be pretty cool.
        Also as a bonus mode, adding a map where you can play as USA or China before the bombs, this would be compeltely AoE with almost none elements of Simcity. (they had a lot of techonolgy before the war, it would work out pretty well)

Comment

I think Fallout would do really well in action-adventure. Have a thief as the protagonist, who utilizes either swords or other short-range weaponry (maybe small, silenced guns), trying to ravage the nuclear wasteland of all its remaining valuables. Solving puzzles to get the treasure, specializing your thief's skills (which would alter the potential treasures you can steal), sword fights, a moral choice system: either helping the poor (robin hood-esque) or inflicting further pain on the commoners, all the various factions that the thief tries to stay on the right side of, without crossing the line too much in any one direction. That would really be awesome, if they pull off the story.

Either that, or have a Fallout that highlights FPS and goes more action. I think the one thing that would make a Fallout FPS extremely worthwhile: epic multiplayer fun. I mean damn, I'd buy it just for the multiplayer and see the single-player as the cherry on top.

Comment

A MMO Fallout would be really cool, and having users make custom content for it would be great. Throw in jobs players can do, like sell guns or private security or something.

Now that I think about it, maybe not a good idea. Meh.

Comment

That is a tough one.

Probably a co-op shooter, like Gears or War, or Rainbow Six LV2 or even Army of Two, something that game us the chance to play with a friend, and expore like that.

Comment

Being a fan of Fallout 1 and 2, I cannot see Fallout being made into any other genre but turn based strategy. But since Tactics already covers that, then I guess the next best option I'd choose would be a platformer-RPG.

I don't know if any of you remember this game called Oddworld: Abe's Oddysey and Oddworld: Abe's Exodus. It's being hailed as the spiritual successor to Jordan Mechner's old sidescrolling Prince of Persia series. Or, another reference I can use is Flashback.

Although they aren't RPGs, they have an adventure element. Fallout 1 and 2 weren't merely action RPGs, they were an amalgamation of many genres - RPG, adventure, tactical. A Fallout platformer similar to Oddworld or Flashback may work. Platformers don't necessarily need to be on one flat plane. Oddworld has proven that you can have your character walk through a door to enter another plane on the same screen. So, we can have a Fallout where you will be able to walk through doors, take elevators, climb ladders etc. It may not have the huge sense of freedom present in Fallout, but players can still be encourage to explore, given a proper layout that makes sense.

In Oddworld, you can do stealth, communicate with your Mudoken friends in many different ways, mind control enemies etc. A platformer need not be limited to Super Mario. In fact, the good thing about such platformers is that they present you with a sticky situation, that can sometimes be optional, and often has more than one way to overcome. This is something that also made Fallout unique. Do you climb the vent that is one square above you, so you can sneak past the herd of Deathclaws? Or perhaps you think you can get lucky with your grenades? Whatever it is, getting past this room is compulsory.

Even though it's an RPG, Fallout wouldn't be Fallout without the ability to rip an enemy to shreds with the SMG. The action part of a Fallout platformer would be pretty awesome too. Anyone remember the game Abuse? The first game, if I'm not wrong, to allow players to use the mouse to aim. Well, a Fallout platformer could be like that too. Use the mouse to control your sights, and left mouse button to fire. Unlike Fallout 1 or 2, or even (belch) 3 though, every action would be controlled in real time.

But wait, what about the RPG aspect? Wasn't your chance to hit in Fallout determined by your skills? It certainly was. In a platformer, it could be made such that if you have fractured an arm before, your aim takes a toll permanently, and your aiming reticule wobbles, depending on the severity of your injury. It's been a while since I played Fallout, but IIRC, it was possible to have a limb permanently disabled. If we can have this in a more action-oriented platformer like what we've just mentioned, this adds to the challenge, and makes players more cautious, instead of just being able to run into a room full of enemies, guns blazing.

What about dialogue, stats and character building? Of course! This part is linked to the aforementioned: get a leg broken when you jump off a ledge that's too high, and you see your character limping - you will need to find sneakier ways past your objectives, since outrunning your enemies is less feasible. Or, improve on your speech skills, and you can convince that drug abuser to perform some...tasks for you in the next room. Maybe you can pick the "Presence" perk next time you level up, so that when you walk into the bar, everyone will immediately stop what they're doing and look at you - all this can be conveyed in a platformer.

In many ways, as long as a project like this isn't called Fallout 4, it won't be considered a bastardization as much as you-know-what, besides BoS.

Comment

I would love to see the fallout universe in a Strategy RTS/God game in the style of Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius. I think the Vaults would lend themselves well to a base you could build up. You would start off with a normal style vault but then be able to dig out more of it from the rock around the base.

The vaults would be raided by mutants, raiders etc from the fallout universe and your objective would be to build a functioning thriving base for your people to occupy and ultimately hold out from increasingly harder waves of enemies. This could be either in a single map or perhaps multiple levels.

The game would span generations of your dwellers lives and tech and resources could be gathered by sending out armed partys of dwellers on missions. This would allow dynamic events to unfold during the game. Perhaps you are running dangerously low on food so need to send out a armed party to go find some more, but your scouts report a large mutant warband in the area. This would force you to weigh up how many people to send against how many you would keep in your base. Do you put everyone on half rations increasing levels of illness and fatigue and wait out the attack or do you send your party out and hope they get back intime with food?

The results of missions would be randomly generated but the defense of your base would be something you actively partook in. Allowing for you to setup traps, barricades and weapon nests.

This gameplay could also be extended to building and defending the settlements above ground.

Comment

A match-3 panel puzzle game. Maybe with isotopes. Add some RPG elements like Puzzle Quest. Put it on Facebook, PSN, or XBLA.

Second choice: time management sim ala Diner Dash. Oh yes.

Comment

Oddly enough, i wouldnt mind them adding a Multiplayer FPS Version onto Fallout 3. Not an MMO, but you join matches and fight each other with the character you have in your campaign. Kind of the way D2 did it, but just an FPS Shooter. That would open up HUGE areas for builds/strategy, and make the game a whole lot more interesting.

Comment

I would love to see Fallout in a multiplayer setting, not like an MMO, but more like a drop-in/drop-out multiplayer game (a la Mercs 2). It would be interesting to have help on difficult missions when you really need it, along with the option to close your game to everyone. It would be mighty fun if you could get people to cooperate.

-----OR-----

A comp-opretive mode, like a man hunt in the wasteland. For example person X is to be caught, first you must tag him with a tracking device, then take him down.

***Note to admins: I finally got my account squared away. There is a post that says exactly this, ignore it.***

Comment

Good luck to All, Thanks TGN & MAnzi for the Fallout Code, going to be alot of killing goin on this weekend,

And guys that are just signing in,TGN has alot in store for gamers, be sure to check out the armies for battlefield 2, Call of Duty & Arma II under the tournaments tab above... We do 12 hour battles on weekends with players from all over the world, battleing for territory like a huge online RISK game.

TGN for the Win

Comment

Thanks to everyone who entered. Check back soon for our next Classics in Gaming feature with Good Old Games. If you was not one of the lucky few who won a code then you can always checkout www.gog.com to pickup some great classic games for a low low price.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised I won a code, especially when I saw the massive and detailed posts by other people. I'm sure I'll enjoy Fallout!

Thanks, TGN Admins!

Comment

Enjoy the game . I disagree with your idea on that genre of a Fallout game, especially because it seems to capture the essence more on the new Fallout than the older games, but I'm glad you won, because in a way, I see Fallout 1 as a retrospect guide to what made the old games so different compared to the new one (and in a way, why old school gamers still fondly remember them)

Comment

Working...
                                X