Why the World Is Not Ready to Go Download Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the World Is Not Ready to Go Download Only

The latest in the series of TGN's new editorial series, From the Editors' Desks, "Why the World Is Not Ready to Go Download Only" offers us a glimpse into the life of one of the millions of people not ready for the Digital Transition:
    Over the last few years technology has been hastily expanding, so much so that it’s leaving some of us behind. In some cases there is a compromise between old methods and new technology. One good example (while not gaming related) is the change to a digital signal for TV. Soon there will be a change from analog to digital signals and you must upgrade your TV, use a satellite provider, or buy a DTV box to upgrade your signal. But in some cases there are no compromises.

I am of course talking about digital purchases and downloads. More and more now certain services, both gaming and non-gaming alike, are popping up all over the internet, with these digital download services becoming so popular now that many companies are considering a complete move to the so called digital download wave of media. Well I, for one, say no. Why? It’s simple: the world is not ready.
    Continue Reading...

--Manzi is a long time member of the TGN staff, having been with the Total Gaming Network since its inception in 2007. Besieged by no cell phone service and trees, he currently resides in Central Ohio.

Re: Why the World Is Not Ready to Go Download Only

Just because you aren't ready, doesn't mean everyone else isn't. If we languished behind because of a few underachieving areas, we would have never got anywhere.

Perhaps delaying the move is simply delaying the need for high speed Internet? Should gaming go effectively download only, ISP's and local councils would be somewhat forced to upgrade exchange centres and data hubs in order to accommodate fast Internet.

The UK seems a lot better off than the US with the average connection being 2mb/s and Dial Up being almost non existent. Most gamers will have an 8mb/s connection with lucky people such as myself having 24mb/s. Hey, even 50mb/s is coming soon to us.

We shouldn't have to hold back technology because some people can't keep up. Forcing people to switch is sometimes the only way to get things done. See the switch from analogue to digital television for example. The last analogue signal will be switched off in 2011 here in the UK with some parts of the country being digital only already!

If we had to wait for some people to buy a digibox, we'd be here forever. So, in answer, the world is pretty much ready for download only. The success of Steam is sentiment to this point.

Comment

I agree with Alex, the only thing holding me back is the crappy network in the UK, sooner BT finish upgrading all the lines things should be better thus faster download speeds, only thing that may be a problem there is ISP's putting caps on download usage or slowing it down in the evening or 'peak time', there is only a very small # in the UK that does not do that.

My 2cents.

Comment

I'm with you Manzi! I have 512/256 right now, and the absolute fastest connection possible is 1344k/768k for $120 a month.

At least it's stable,

O wait..

Comment

3 letters. D-R-M. I also prefer the 'security' that comes with having a physical copy of my games, plus it's a lot easer to share/borrow games with friends. Though all that could change if DRM gets more and more invasive.

Also was it really necessary to cross-post this in all the systems sections?

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts View Post
            Also was it really necessary to cross-post this in all the systems sections?
            Yes, it was. But thanks for you concern.

Comment

You guys got something against Nintendo? This wasn't posted there as well.

I like my physical copy of anything. **** digital copies, no me gusta.

Comment

But, that's what i like about Steam. They let you make a physical backup of the game on DVD.

Then, when you want to install it, simply pop it in the drive, install Steam and then install the game. The only difference is that it doesn't have a fancy cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
                  But, that's what i like about Steam. They let you make a physical backup of the game on DVD.

Then, when you want to install it, simply pop it in the drive, install Steam and then install the game. The only difference is that it doesn't have a fancy cover.
                  That's relatively easy to get around: http://www.cdcovers.cc/

Comment

The caps that companies are "testing" right now are probably the largest issue with digital-only releases. It's asinine to think that some companies are placing caps that would only result in just a few HD digital movies downloaded per month and that would be it.

Comment

Again, that's another thing that doesn't really affect the UK. The majority of Internet packages are unlimited. If you are going to be downloading HD movies, you'll be able to afford the extra £5 a month to get unlimited...

Comment

Unfortunately for those of us in the US, paying a bit extra for an uncapped connection isn't really available, at least not yet.

And given how the US and NA are still right up there with Europe and Asia in terms of population online, it's still a massive market that's going to get screwed over solely by these caps.

Comment

I have no cap on how much I download / upload but then again like many of you had said this is another factor that effects many.

The forcing factor only works if there is help & can be done easily. With the DTV change both of that is there. I did set one of those boxes up to an old tv we got the coupon bought the box I hooked it up and it worked perfectly.

But in the sense for media and game downloads you cannot now force people to do such a thing and the only way there can be help is if providers up'd their infrastructure and upgraded speeds.

I see some games on steam that I kind of wish was in stores so I could go and buy it as opposed to waiting the 12 hours or overnight to download it then have to download it all over again later through steam or have a bunch of home made disks.

Comment

I have 7Mbps/600kbps or something like that with no cap. A faster upload would really benefit me more than the download. AT&T uVerse is coming around soon and that should pick the speeds up a little bit. (But I'm going off to college anyway and will have UBER internet...)

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKirk View Post
                              I have 7Mbps/600kbps or something like that with no cap. A faster upload would really benefit me more than the download. AT&T uVerse is coming around soon and that should pick the speeds up a little bit. (But I'm going off to college anyway and will have UBER internet...)
                              anytime I need to upload anything large I save it to my Jump Drive and upload it when I am on the school's network during the week.

Comment

Working...
                              X