Mirror's Edge Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror's Edge Review

Total Gaming Network is back again today with another game review. Today Zips has reviewed EA Game's and Dice's new first person action game Mirror's Edge. Check it out:
    DICE, fresh off of their release of Battlefield: Bad Company, attempts to shake the first-person shooter genre up with Mirror's Edge. With this release, EA continues its foray into the realm of "fresh ideas" and "new intellectual properties," a foray that began recently with Dead Space.

Mirror's Edge brings together parkour style running, puzzle based environments, and a bit of gun play into one neat little package. We will see if Mirror's Edge has what it takes to completely change the face of future first-person titles or if it falls flat on its face.

Re: Mirror's Edge Review

The world in Mirror's Edge is not a utopia. It doesn't fit the Dystopian classification either, so it is best described as an anti-utopia. In an anti-utopia, the world was originally intended to be perfect, but fatal flaws ruin these ideals. If the world were a utopia, 99.99% of people would love it there, but in Mirror's edge, clearly a larger portion don't with the evidence of turmoil present and waiting for its chance to strike.

You even said something akin to this, "The song can be viewed as a commentary on the struggle of the city and its violent past. Despite how much the old city has been silenced by the surveillance and extreme crackdown on crime, the old city is "still alive." It is merely waiting for the right moment or person to start chipping away at the fake utopian exterior.".

Not to be the pot calling the kettle black, but this review felt obscenely long. I know I write damn long things too, so perhaps this weakens my point, but follow your algebra teacher's advice and simplify whenever possible.

"I'll be honest and say that I don't feel Mirror's Edge is worth $60 if you are looking solely for an engaging single player title."
    Technically the whole game is single player right? You can download other players' ghosts and times, but the consumer will still be alone, so say don't buy this game for a particularly engaging story mode instead of single player title.

Well, anyway thanks for the review, but I wasn't planning on buying the game even if it got perfect scores from reviewers. Reviewers are high half the time anyways.

Comment

like we tell you everytime we cant update the discuss link until it is posted. and now it is so it will be done.

Comment

randomduded12, are you done yet? :shakehead:

Let's keep this thread on topic about the review. I'm deleting the rest of your posts. Now if you push me, I'd be happy to hand out an infraction to you.

Comment

The whole "utopia" thing comes directly from the manual and the press kit sent along with the game. Just to clear that up for anybody.

Comment

I played the demo of the game and enjoyed it to a point but after playing it a few times I just didnt get much more joy out of it, so I decided to not pick up this title. But the visuals on it are amazing and I would like to see work like this done on other games in the future.

Comment

I haven't played through the game, but the definition for dystopia is "a utopia gone sour."

Great review, Zips. I played the 2d game for several days (playtime)... I might have to go bargain hunting over Christmas for the full game

Comment

i about threw up playing the demo... something about the brightness of the game and the way the view was set up gave me motion sickness - and I don't typically get it - but it's a puzzle game, boring after the 4th or 5th building you've jumped off of... at least in the demo.

glad I'm not spending $60 on it... that's what demos are for.

Comment

your old you get sicker easier same way with roller coasters.

Comment

Working...
                  X