X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap Tap: Justin Bieber Revenge

Tap Tap: Justin Bieber Revenge

Release Date: March 23, 2010
    Reviewed On: iPod Touch (Also available on iPhone)
    Developer: Tapulous
    Publisher: Tapulous

One of the latest entries to the widely popular Tap Tap series for the iPod Touch and iPhone focuses on the young, upcoming pop sensation that is Justin Bieber. Whether or not you enjoy his music, there is really no denying that there is a lot of fun to be had in Justin Bieber Revenge. The rhythm title takes some of the best elements from previous entries in the series but manages to still feel fresh.

Ooooh, ahhhhh. It's the main menu!

Gameplay:
    If you have ever played a rhythm title before, you already have a basic idea of what to expect in Justin Bieber Revenge. Be it Rock Band, Guitar Hero, or any of the previous entries in the Tap Tap Revenge series, the core formula remains the same.

The game offers up a career mode, battle mode, and a chat room. Battle mode allows two fans to face off against one another via Bluetooth. It should be mentioned that for the purpose of this review we were unable to test the multiplayer aspect of the title.

The career mode is essentially a free play mode. All 11 tracks are open from the start of the game with all four difficulties (Easy to Extreme) also open from the onset. Select a difficulty, select your song, and prepare to play.

A fairly typical scene. Colorful, but easily readable

In typical rhythm game fashion, a series of beats scroll down from the top of the screen. The player must tap on the designated target circle once the beat reaches the bottom of the screen. Tap at the perfect time and you're awarded points. Successfully hit enough notes in succession to build up your score multiplier for even more points. Simple, no?

A meter on the right side will show if the notes are being hit either too late, too early, or perfectly. This is a great tool for learning how to better time your taps to really ramp up your score for the next go around.

The game will sometimes mix things up by throwing in sustained notes that prompt the player to hold down the designated beat for the duration of the sustain. Bonus notes appear throughout the songs and successfully hitting these small series of notes will net you a 16x score multiplier that the player can activate at any time they wish. This is, in a nutshell, what Tap Tap is all about. It's a simple concept that has been done before, but it can and will become incredibly addictive as you try to best your own scores and the scores of your friends.

The game also comes packed with four Justin Bieber themes, a news feed for all things Bieber, and chat rooms to discuss various topics with other Bieber fans. Truly, this is the complete Justin Bieber experience in one little package.

Graphics:
    There really isn't too much to say about the game's visuals. Backgrounds are usually vibrant colors overlapped with pictures of Justin Bieber himself. Though the backgrounds are colorful and often moving, they were never distracting to the action taking place in the foreground.

The notes streaming down the screen are easily readable even in the most hectic of songs. Activating the 16x bonus will often trigger a change in the background and special effects to appear on the notes, typically a colorful glow or special symbol. This easily allows the player to know when they are still utilizing the 16x bonus and when it is about to run out.

A sustained note in action!

It really isn't the most graphically demanding iPod title out there, but it certainly serves its purpose. It isn't too flashy, unless you count the countless number of Justin Bieber pictures present throughout the title. But hey, it's his game, so he's entitled to having his picture anywhere and everywhere.

Audio:
    Given that every track is officially licensed for Justin Bieber Revenge, the audio quality is top notch. There were no distorted sounds or crackling and the audio levels sounded great. Whether you're playing with headphones or through your iPod's speaker, the sounds are still quite clear. Obviously, audio fidelity will differ ever so slightly depending on the brand and quality of headphones being used.

While Justin Bieber's music may not be for everybody, the game will certainly appeal to fans, be they soccer moms or tweens. I will be perfectly honest and say that Bieber's brand of pop music is nowhere near my cup of tea, and may not exactly be up the alley for other 25 year old males in the world. As mentioned, though, while it does not appeal to me, there are tons of fans that this will appeal to.

Eleven tracks are featured within Justin Bieber Revenge, including his hits of "Baby (featuring Ludacris)" and "U Smile." Gamers are essentially paying just $4.99 for a robust Justin Bieber experience. The eleven tracks are spread out between Bieber's two released albums (My World and My World 2.0) and singles.

- Baby (feat. Ludacris)
    - Bigger
    - Down To Earth
    - Favorite Girl
    - Love Me
    - Never Let You Go
    - One Less Lonely Girl
    - One Time
    - One Time (Acoustic)
    - Somebody To Love
    - U Smile

Please note that in issuing a score for the audio, it won't be based on this reviewer's opinion of Bieber's music, but rather the quality of the audio presented.

Don't ask

Summary:
    Justin Bieber Revenge is a $4.99 (USD) purchase that's well worth the price of admission if you're a Bieber fan or know somebody who is. Honestly, I prefer the other Tap Tap offerings from Tapulous, but that is just a personal preference.

Sitting at 11 songs, bluetooth enabled multiplayer, news feeds, and more Justin Bieber Revenge is a solid purchase. The graphics are vibrant but unobtrusive. The audio is similar to if you purchased the songs individually off of iTunes, and the gameplay can become quite addictive. If you love rhythm titles, especially the popular Tap Tap series, and you enjoy the current trend in pop music, then you really do not want to pass up Justin Bieber Revenge.

Relevant Links:
    Tap Tap: Justin Bieber Revenge on the iTunes App Store

Gameplay: 8/10
    Graphics: 6.5/10
    Audio: 7/10

Total Gaming Network Rating: 7.0

Re: Tap Tap: Justin Bieber Revenge

I give you kudos for reviewing a Justin Bieber game, but wasn't the April fools joke MW2 receiving Ded servers?

Comment

Hey hey... it's a solid game. Tap Tap is good, even if Bieber Fever didn't quite grasp me.

Comment

I spose, did you find yourself singing "baby" once you had completed it?

Comment

i like how its all in purple.

Comment

Why?

Comment

Working...
            X