Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Hero Smash Hits Review

Guitar Hero Smash Hits

Release Date: June 16, 2009 (North America), June 24, 2009 (Australia), June 26, 2009 (Europe)
    Reviewed On: Nintendo Wii
    Also Available On: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2
    Developer: Red Octane
    Publisher: Activision
    ESRB Rating: Teen - Lyrics, Mild Suggestive Themes
    PEGI Rating: 12+ - Sex, Bad Language
    OFLC Rating: PG - Infrequent Coarse Language

Intro:

Over the past five years, the Guitar Hero franchise has played host to some of the hottest rock songs created. Many of these big hits were included before Guitar Hero: World Tour, which allowed players to sing, drum, and play bass on all the game's tracks. Red Octane has dug through their library to find the best songs possible and are now letting you play them any way you feel. Is this new game really worth the price tag or is it another way for Activision to make an easy sale?

The Guitar Hero franchise's best tracks have received an update.

Gameplay:

What can be said about the Guitar Hero formula that hasn't been said before -- not too much. For the past four titles, Red Octane has been using a gameplay mechanic originally pioneered by the folks at Harmonix. With the release of World Tour, the team had their first experiment with drums, vocals, and bass, a concept perfected in Guitar Hero: Metallica.

While fans are craving new additions to gameplay, Smash Hits will serve as a disappointment. No new innovations or gameplay features have been added, so don't expect to be blown away by anything novel. What is here is what you can expect: the story mode, quick play, online play, and the music studio.

Unfortunately, this update doesn't help the guitar.

Another disappointment is the lack of new peripherals; the World Tour guitar is starting to grow old on me. To those who are interested, I advise that you look at this as an expansion, not a full game.

If there are no new features, what is the big draw to go pick this up? Well, the songs included in Smash Hits are indeed some of the best the series has seen. Songs such as "Smoke On The Water" and the infamous "Through The Fire And Flames" all make comebacks. Bass, drums, and the microphone are all implemented into the songs seamlessly; however, the guitar sections feel a little off. For some reason unknown to myself, Red Octane decided to play around with all the original note layouts, making things much easier to play through. "Through The Fire And The Flames" is a prime example of this, as the song that was once nearly impossible to complete can now be taken on with only a few difficulties. My second complaint is the inclusion of some less beloved songs, most notably anything by Joan Jett. It seems more songs from Guitar Hero III and Guitar Hero: Aerosmith would've worked better to fill up these holes.

Graphics:

Guitar Hero has never, and will never be about outstanding graphics. Character models look the same as they have since World Tour, with no noticeable updates taking place. One place where the development team deserves praise is the new venues in which you play. Instead of dropping you in stadiums and opera houses, you play your concerts at the seven wonders of the world. This makes for more dynamic and epic sets, ranging from the Grand Canyon to the Great Pyramids. This decision took away some of the monotony usually found in the series' visuals.

Everything looks as it did in World Tour and Metallica.

Audio:

Master recordings. 'Nuff said. Every track that was originally missing the master recordings have been updated for new and improved audio quality. These enhancements are very noticeable in most of the earlier songs from Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II. While most of the master recordings are of studio quality, a few live versions of songs somehow slipped in and they don't have the same sound as the others. While it only happens to a small selection of the 48 songs, it is a small annoyance.

Controls:

Anyone who hasn't used the plastic guitar before must be living under a rock. Able to play both guitar and bass sections, the guitar works as well as it ever has. The microphone and drums work as they are supposed to; just don't bang on the drums too hard and break the cymbals. Red Octane's peripherals are unmatched by anything else compatible for Guitar Hero (mind you, the Rock Band drums are the hands-down winner).

The plastic guitar and drum set do a wonderful job of creating a real band experience.

Multiplayer:

Making another triumphant return is Guitar Hero's multiplayer feature which allows you to rock out with other players from around the world. While simple guitar duels are always fun, the real depth in the online mode is when you find three others who are willing to make a band with you; that's when the real fun starts. The Music Studio also returns, allowing players to practice, create their own tracks, and download content from others using GH Tunes.

Connect online to make your own virtual band.

Summary:

Smash Hits accomplishes what it set out to do: create a new experience for old songs. Adding all the other instruments makes a more rounded experience, but comes at too high a cost. These tracks should have been released as downloadable content for World Tour, and not be sold for fifty dollars. Fans of the original games will find plenty of fun in this package, but I would rent it to see if the updated songs are worth the full price before making the purchase.

Total Gaming Network Rating: 7.3/10

~ThQp

Re: Guitar Hero Smash Hits Review

I started playing GH a couple of months ago and along with GH3 I bought SH. While there isn't anything really new compared to the older versions it is a good way for newer players to get the best of the old songs without buying each version.

Comment

I still cant believe people actually buy this crap more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo0by
        I still cant believe people actually buy this crap more than once.
        Seriously! It's not like there is any significant change from game to game other than the set lists...

Comment

No? What about the new multiplayer system in GH 5 where you can easily drop in or drop out of a song without having to go through a thousand menus. Or when they implemented a full band into GH: World Tour. That looked to be a significant update. Games like Aerosmith, Metallica, and Smash Hits aren't made with the focus on new features

Comment

I hope your being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo0by
              I hope your being sarcastic.
              I hope you're being serious.

Comment

Working...
              X