Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KontrolFreek FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition Preview

FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition
    The crew at KontrolFreek is about to roll out their latest model of their popular FPS Freek controller accessories. The FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition sports an all-new look and will make its public debut on August 21.

I just threw a lot of weird, new words at you and you may find that you're a bit overwhelmed already. Calm down, I'll explain everything that you need to know. KontrolFreek designs and sells a series of game pad accessories. Some of their more popular products are accessories that are specially designed to fit over your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 analog sticks to provide for more control in your favorite games.

They have designs for racing games, sports games, and first-person shooters and many other genre specific accessories. The basic idea behind most of these accessories is that they go over your existing analog sticks and add a bit of length to what is already there. Typically, a longer analog stick should result in more precise control situations. The same movements as before now result in more subtle movement changes. Think back to your science classes and it should all come flooding back to you as to why this is the case. Just trust me on this in case you don't yet understand or you don't feel like thinking back to school.

Well, the new line from KontrolFreek is the FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition. These are an updated version of the FPS Freek CQC line that is presently available for sale. The key differences here are the fact the Signature Edition features green, etched rubber instead of the plain gray version of the vanilla CQC. The other key difference here is the fact that unlike the original which features a concave area where your thumb rests, the Signature Edition is now convex in design. For those who are unaware, this means that the Signature Edition is more like a raised dome instead of a bowl. To put it into other frame of reference, they more closely resemble the raised sticks on a PlayStation 3 as opposed to the Xbox 360 "bowl" style grips.

The Signature Edition is simple enough to install. Take them out of their plastic case, line them up on your existing analog stick and then push down evenly until they feel that they are level and firmly in place. They're held in place by three little "teeth" that grasp the rubber of the old sticks. Not once have they ever shown any sign that they were on there too loose or too tight. Fortunately, despite how firmly in place they are, removal is still quite easy and pop off like a snug lid after applying a bit of upwards pressure.

Now, I've never tried out any of the KontrolFreek accessories before. I had no idea what to expect, nor do I really have anything to personally compare the Signature Edition with. What I can tell you is that I have quite enjoyed the time I've spent with the FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition. Don't take that as a statement that this accessory suddenly made me the best Call of Duty player in the world. However, the difference in feeling was noticeable and did prove to be beneficial in many situations.

The CQC line of FPS Freek accessories are designed with a low profile that is more suitable for those with smaller hands. This is in comparison to their non-CQC line that feature accessories that are actually quite a bit taller than these are, and are more suitable for those with larger hands and those who want the most control possible in their games. Regardless of which line you opt to get, they all still add a bit of control enhancement for everyone, regardless of hand size. I actually enjoyed the added reach since I feel as though the current Xbox 360 controllers are a bit too small in some aspects. Maybe my hands are just too big, I'm not really sure. However, the fit was quite comfortable in my hands. I never once felt like my thumbs were raised too high, never once felt like I had to move them too much, and I never once had my thumb slip off the sticks.

They feel like they are very solidly built. To be fair, I cannot see how anything that small made out of plastic and a grippy rubber could ever feel flimsy but it's good to know for sure that these do not feel cheap. They are built solid and seem as though they'll be able to withstand countless hours of hardcore gaming abuse. As I understand it, the Signature Edition features a different type of rubber compared to other models. Again, I cannot personally compare the differences between these and the older releases.

For testing, I fired up a variety of games, many of which were not first-person shooters. For instance, Resident Evil 5 was tested both with and without the use of the FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition accessory. It was tested on the PC version of the game without any apparent auto-aim assist in both cases. From a purely subjective viewpoint, I felt as though the Signature Edition provided more precise controls. This is obviously quite important when trying to pull off headshots on the infected foes. This was particularly useful given how the rifles and pistols in the game all have a bit of built-in sway when aiming down the sights. The CQC Signature Edition made it a bit easier to fine-tune my shots when they mattered most.

Next up was Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, played in a single-player environment on the Truth and Reconciliation level. For those unaware, The Truth and Reconciliation campaign level is a sniper heavy level from the get-go. I am admittedly a rather crap sniper in the Halo series. In fact, I'm fairly terrible with almost any console game that utilizes a sniper rifle. The test was to see how many headshots I could pull off at the beginning of the map up until a certain point. In three short trial runs both without and then with the accessory, I averaged 5 headshots without and a bit under 7 headshots with the CQC Signature Edition. Is this conclusive evidence that they provide for better control? Perhaps it is. However, it could also be attributed to getting back into the swing of things with the three non-accessory tests that were done prior. Still, though, it's nice to see the increase in the overall average.

Compared to mouse and keyboard use, there really isn't any fair comparison. I am personally better with a mouse and keyboard for aiming and will typically choose to use a mouse and keyboard combo above using a controller in first-person shooters. With that said, the CQC Signature Edition does provide better control over a barebones controller in the test situations, including the tests not mentioned above. I understand that many gamers can be just as precise with a controller as some gamers are with a mouse and keyboard, so again this is a purely subjective assessment and one that is hard, if not impossible, to quantify. From my own, personal experience I feel as though the CQC Signature Edition brought control precision closer to the level of a mouse and keyboard than a barebones controller ever managed to do.

One additional feature that is not immediately apparent is the fact that this accessory is great for those of you who may have worn out the little bumps on your Xbox 360 controller analog sticks. Fresh out of the box, the vanilla sticks provide great grip but over extensive play sessions, the four little nubs on the analog sticks do get worn out. Popping on the Signature Edition restores that feeling of having a new controller at a fraction of the cost.

Some people may be wondering if it's still easy to click in the sticks for L3 and R3 functionality. I can report that, yes, it is still quite easy to click in the sticks when needed. This is aided by the fact that the FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition sits almost flush against the top of your existing sticks.

Really, it's hard to find fault with this accessory. It does what it claims to do, and that is to place better control and range of movement into the hands of the player. I would personally love to see the next-generation of consoles come out with controllers that have longer analog sticks by default. Until such a pipedream happens, KontrolFreek and their FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition will fit that void quite nicely. The CQC Signature Edition is a happy middle ground between the taller lineup from KontrolFreek and using absolutely nothing at all, and is perfect for those with smaller hands that want to take their skill up a notch or two. Just don't expect to see drastic changes as they won't turn a notoriously bad player into some MLG pro. They may also take a short bit of time to adjust to, though it should be nothing more than a day or two of use before they feel like they were part of the controller in the first place.

The FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition will retail for just $10.99 when it comes out on August 21, which sounds like a pricing sweet spot for the product. The accessory will work on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 controllers.

Relevant Links
    KontrolFreek Website
    The science behind why this works via KontrolFreek
    Direct link to the FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition ($10.99)

The FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition was provided to TGN by KontrolFreek for preview purposes. It was previewed using an official Xbox 360 controller on a mix of Xbox 360 and PC titles.

I've updated the preview after hearing back from KontrolFreek.

The CQC Signature Edition will go for just $10.99, which is actually quite a bit less than what I expected them to go for. They also have their order page and landing page for the Signature Edition up at http://www.kontrolfreek.com/ldr/fps-cqc-signature.asp if you want to order them for yourself.

I've edited the article to include the final price and a link to the order page.

Comment

Re: KontrolFreek FPS Freek CQC - Signature Edition Preview

Very nice. You just increased your DPI on your controller
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
        Very nice. You just increased your DPI on your controller
        Haha, yeah, kinda. Though with a low sensitivity since you can get more fine-tuned movements with larger finger motions.

Comment

I'm not a console gamer but it does look interesting and smart. But in their site they have all of these different models but do they really make a difference between each other? I mean, does that different shape and size do a difference at all? That aspect looks more like a gimmick

Comment

Originally posted by jimykx
            I'm not a console gamer but it does look interesting and smart. But in their site they have all of these different models but do they really make a difference between each other? I mean, does that different shape and size do a difference at all? That aspect looks more like a gimmick
            Some of them are identical outside of the design. And typically, those are all priced the same anyway so it's more of a matter of user preference.

But other designs are far more varied. The racing sticks are obviously far different than the FPS line they have. Other differences include the length of the extension (CQC pictured above has a low profile, while their original line has a much longer extension), the shape of the thumb area (bowl or dome), and sometimes different materials.

Like, the Signature Edition that I reviewed has low profile (CQC), domed thumb area, and is actually made out of a different kind of rubber than what they have on their other stuff. Compare that to their non-signature series CQC release which has a bowl area for the thumb, the old rubber, and is plain grey.

Comment

Eery Nice!!! One of my all time favorite.
              Plagiarism checker

Comment

Working...
              X