Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scribblenauts Preview

<center></center>
    On day two of E3, I headed over to Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment’s booth to check out some of their upcoming titles. Originally dropping by to play Arkham Asylum, Che’von Slaughter, Public Relations Representative for Warner strongly recommended that TGN also check out Scribblenauts (Nintendo DS/DSi), and boy am I glad she did.

After a few minutes of playing Scribblenauts, it became the top game of E3 for me. Scribblenauts is a standalone title because of its sheer creativity, rewarding players for their ingenuity in defeating the game’s 220 unique levels. Many other gaming outlets shared this sentiment, and for the first time in E3 history, a handheld title beat console titles in winning Best Game of E3 by IGN, Gamespot and Gamespy.

<center></center>

“Write anything, solve everything,” is the basic premise of Scribblenauts. Using the keypad players can summon 10,000 different objects, animals, people, and even memes to help you collect a “starite” located on 220 levels. I was amazed by the sheer diversity of objects that you could summon in the game and with the exception of explicit selections (beer, penis and Satan) everything I typed worked, running the gamut from zombie, helicopter, otter, keyboard cat, and toaster.

Developers at 5TH Cell Media have even programmed unique interactions that take place between each of the summoned objects. In the training levels players are free to explore and summon various objects. I started off by summoning a saxophone and a musician who instantly grabbed the instrument and began to play. Next I brought in a zombie which unexpectedly caused the poor musician to run for dear life, saxophone in hand.

The only limitation in Scribblenauts is the player’s imagination.

<center></center>

Each level of the game has a set “par” of objects that players can summon to reach a starite. It’s hard not to get sidetracked and summon all sorts of objects just to try and stump the game. In one level of Scribblenauts, I reached a starite located in a tree three different ways, riding on a giraffe, flying in a jet-pack, or climbing a ladder; the replayability of this game is phenomenal.

Keep an eye out for Scribblenauts and if you get it, be sure to type in keyboard cat. Scribblenauts hits the DS/DSi in late 2009.

~Bawdyjane
Working...
X