Mass Effect 3 Targets "Larger Market"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Effect 3 Targets "Larger Market"

That's a very, very dangerous quote there for the headline. John Riccitiello, the big cheese at EA, says that Mass Effect 3 will try to target a larger market than its predecessors did. Meaning to us, a larger focus on action, less on the difficult RPG elements (emphasis ours).

"One of the things that Ray Muzyuka and the team up in Edmonton have done is essentially step-by-step adjust the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you'll see at E3 to put this in a genre equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG," he said, "and essentially address a much larger market opportunity than Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 began to approach.

"We're huge believers in the IP and are purposefully shifting it to address a larger market opportunity."

Editor's note: While I enjoyed Mass Effect 2, I can't help but feel like it was already severely strip mined of what made the original a great game. They already had a much lesser focus on the RPG elements of the series, opting instead for more action oriented gameplay, same as the transition from Dragon Age to Dragon Age 2. Only DA2 at least kept most of the RPG elements.

It's just my worry that Mass Effect 3 is going to go full-blown Gears of War style action gameplay on us. What happened to the BioWare that created games that were RPGs first and anything else second? I miss them. Then again, this could be less BioWare's work and more of a push from EA to go in this direction.
Working...
X