It's Official, Gabe and Erik are Flying to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official, Gabe and Erik are Flying to Australia

Joe of Joe's Modding Menagerie has done it. He has raised the more than $2,000 (USD) needed to fly both Gabe Newell and Erik Johnson out to Australia to preview a custom Left 4 Dead campaign.

What started out as some good-natured ribbing between Joe and the co-founder of Valve, quickly turned into serious business. Joe, after being "upset" that he wasn't flown out to Valve to show off his Left 4 Dead custom campaign was issued a boycott from Valve's Newell against said custom campaign. Newell stated that they will not fly him out to Valve, but that they will not boycott his campaign if he could fly both him and Erik (Johnson) out to Australia.

E-mail received from Gabe just yesterday

Needing roughly $2,000 for a round-trip flight for two, Joe went to the Internet to raise the funds. Donations started out slow but as the news spread the cash started to flow like water. Other Valve staff members, including Robin Walker, also chipped in towards the cause.

In just about three days time, over $3,000 in donations were sent in to Joe. With the tickets taking up just about $2,400, the rest is planned to go to the Penny-Arcade charity, Child's Play.

You can follow the story of Joe, Gabe, and Erik in its entirity over at the "Fly Gabe Newell" blog. Next up will be the "Fly Zips to Valve" drive. Get those wallets ready!

Re: It's Official, Gabe and Erik are Flying to Australia

I live about 4 hours from the Valve HQ... so transportation is less an issue for me as simply having an invite is, heh.

Humorous story, glad to see Child's Play getting the extra funds... Gabe and Tycho really have done some amazing things over the past decade.

Comment

Nah, he said he also will buy a Camcorder :P

Comment

Originally posted by Zips View Post
        Next up will be the "Fly Dr.Worm to Valve" drive. Get those wallets ready!
        There corrected

silly Zips when do i get my turn :P

Comment

Working...
        X