Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe everyone was so gullible to think Valve's intentions with Steam were at all to benefit the consumer; stop acting like this is something so very unexpected.

There were a good handful of many warning others about the consequences of accepting Steam and what negative repercussions there would be, but these people were flamed, banned, and casted away as pessimists by moderators, popular websites, and the community overall. Over the past few years, the same things you were all being warned of are now materializing.

Valve will continually and slowly implement new schemes to further capitalize off of you as a consumer, and you won't be able to do anything about it except stop playing your games altogether. Steam simply gives Valve too much control. Valve knows people will not give up their precious Counter-Strike; the demand is simply too inelastic.

So, please, don't be surprised when you start to see membership fees, (more) adware, and even spyware over the coming years.

Comment

entRo hit the nail on the head

Comment

If Valve knows the community half as well as they should, all trees should be rendered thusly:

Comment

woah wrote..

...even spyware over the coming years.
          That would totally be the end of my online gaming run.

The ads better not be too distracting..imagine you are turning a corner and BAM! "HEADON, APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!" And then a bullet flies head on, directly into your forehead.

Comment

You don't do interviews like this with one-shot email questions. You do them over the phone or VOIP to emphasize not only followups (which are sorely needed here), but this "pick and choose" bullshit as to what he's going to conveniently answer.

This is the premier CS site, and this is the biggest horseshit thing to happen to CS out of a vast, unfathomable well of horseshit. Go back and wring some fucking answers out of him or pack it up.

I'm being totally earnest. Whatever actual value and integrity this shithole site has left hinges on how you deal with this absolutely disgusting attitude from Valve. Rizzuh? Get your shit together; for once, this actually counts.

Comment

Edited by [user="214984"] @ [time="1165629195"]

entRo wrote..

Much like walls in CS can't be circumvented, right? Or ads here on CSN?
              I meant my comment at "It really, really hinges on how seamless and ignorable the ads really are."

I don't think I chose the correct word or even if that word exists, I meant if you could ignore[by not noticing them in game] the ads, they would not put them in.

They will be intrusive.

Comment

ea and valve had a party and ea told them about their whole 2142 deal, and valve though it was sweet probably.

Comment

Anyone forgetting that EA is also the publisher for HL2 and all the rest for consoles? So yeah, I wouldn't doubt that party happened.. lol

Comment

Hm advertising in game now? I'd been wary of steam since I had to install it to my machine and this is only proving my suspicions. On top of that just 1.6 right now? Frankly I'm interested in the fact that he didn't answer the question about ads in Source, perhaps ads in 1.6 as a way to herd people over to a non-ad source out of fustration of the 1.6 advertising?

As for breaking the fourth wall, having ads all over the place already does that now. Who wants to run into an ad for Pepsi or some game service as they round every other corner? Plus seeing them on the scoreboard is really shoving it down our throats. That is one of the detractors from a good game. We paid for our Valve products and now they think we want to see MORE ads? If theres been anything for the CS community to be alert about its this. Better watch this one close people.

Also to point out part of the responses from Lombardi:

Doug Lombardi: "We think that gamers would for the most part agree that Valve has supported Counter-Strike very well over the past number of years." Yes they have supported 1.6 lately by leaving it alone and not screwing it up as they have to to Source. For that I can thank them.

Comment

Edited by [user="9271"] @ [time="1165639736"]

Valve hasn't supported it. At all. The fact is that CS plays like a slotmachine and has exactly the same appeal to the lowest common denominator. This, not coincidentally, is the exact same demographic of absolute fucking retards dumb enough to put up with this shit.

Yeah, you. You don't mind how it sounds to have ads in a game that has already contributed immeasurably to Valve's standings? You don't mind because you're a mouth-breathing idiot. Remember your standing and keep your trap shut until someone properly tells you what to think.

What, this garbage is to be done under the pretense of "giving back to the developer"? Ignoring the unquestionably incompetent changes to the mod in the past, isn't that what Valve fucking hired him for in the first place? Because he added something else to the company that would be useful for future products? Isn't that why you still sell CS as a standalone for $10? You know, over the digital distribution method that shits all over consumer rights, specifically the First Sale doctrine?

Exactly how has Valve not benefitted from things so far? Nevermind, i'll even float the easier question: how has everything up 'til now cost them anything that they haven't made back? What, is it to recoup the costs of running all those thousands of servers over the years? It sure as shit is not. Oh, there's no mention of any of this filthy lucre going to the people who have, is there? How entirely quaint.

Plus, it's just so clear that we need more ads in things, right? All of us just loved it with BF 2142, and it's not like we don't blatantly go out of our way to AVOID ads, right?

Fuck it. I'm entirely serious: get this Lombardi dipshit on Skype with me, i'll show you a goddamned interview. This isn't even in the realm of cluelessness anymore -- this is a greedy collection of talentless, hack devs flagrantly trying to see how much they can step on the very same idiot demographic they so carefully cultivated.

P.S. because i can't find a goddamn email address or PM button:

In light of the shit i've given Zips for being a shill, those were some good questions, as is bizarrely evident by the selective lack of answers. Just need followups to dig through Valve's fetid carapace of BS.

P.S.S.

This was appended instead of added as a separate post. My mind hurts knowing that this, of all places, is still ahead of the comments system curve.

Comment

Edited by [user="246117"] @ [time="1165641531"]

Someone got up on the wrong side of his man this morning.

Also, you are not intelligent and better than everyone else by acting that way on a computer game fan-site.

Comment

God I love mouth. He warms the cockles of my heart. Zips, you should put that on the front page or have him do the skype/ventrillo interview. I don't think you'd be opposed since your questions were good. Put up something on the front page that takes an agressive tone. The questions in the interview were pointed, but call them out on this bullshit.
                          This isn't even in the realm of cluelessness anymore -- this is a greedy collection of talentless, hack devs flagrantly trying to see how much they can step on the very same idiot demographic they so carefully cultivated.
                          I think that's what annoys me the most (besides the fact that a game I bought is getting ingame ads put into it after I bought it. I didn't buy Swat 4 because of the ingame ads) is that they actually can make good games. They have yet to come up with a huge online hit on their own and they sure as hell can't maintain CS worth a shit, but Half-Life 2 knocked Grim Fandango from my favorite game spot. I mean shit, I even bought that Half-Life 2 print they released. It's easy to boycott EA when all that they publish that I want is the Burnout series and Spore. Not buying Episode 1 would have been easy because I mean really, who gives a shit, but not buying Team Fortress 2 is something that I don't think I can pass up.

I'm still livid.

Comment

ph03nix(k) wrote..

Anyone forgetting that EA is also the publisher for HL2 and all the rest for consoles? So yeah, I wouldn't doubt that party happened.. lol
                            Actually EA owns all in-store publishing rights and distribution rights for all of Valve's games on all platforms (including PC). While buying HL2 (or whatever other Valve title) from a store you're buying it from EA, this occurred very promptly after the big issues between Valve and Vivendi (owners of the sierra name, ps. Vivendi can suck my balls, they laid off all of Sierra (some of the best game developers in the world) just to keep the name for themselves).

Anyway, m4, you seem to forget how effective subliminal methods can be. Hell, if you've seen that Portal "easter-egg" site that was posted here on CSnation not-so-long ago, a "subliminal" random cake appeared once in a while...we knew it was there, but we didn't know what it was. so what did we do? we searched for it, to find out what it was, to get a good screen capture, what says that me running by that pepsi machine won't make me thirsty? You ever been going out to get yourself from the grocery store to eat and on the way saw a fast-food place and thought, ah, I'll just get some Wendy's or something? Ever notice how when you're watching a movie and sometimes characters are instructed to breathe in a specific way you end up breathing as instructed as well? Like I said, most people would be surprised how much subliminal (whether intentional or not) messaging can influence a person.

Again, I'd prefer it be "dismissable" in a realistic form.

and P.S. to that person who posted "Steam is bad", I personally never thought it was good, but the concept is, was, and always will be a good one. Because you can NOT tell me you actually miss waiting in those 500 person Fileplanet lines for the next CSS patch, the reason they seemed so tested then, was because they were, they had to be, when they released an update they had to be massive, with large amounts of changes, or people wouldn't think they're doing anything. They couldn't release on the fly, they couldn't do mass testing, a good test can't be done with 100 out of 10,000 people, even with DWP "hey it worked great in beta", apparently the beta testers weren't enough. The concept of dynamic content delivery and dynamic patching and updating is a very good one, even though the Steam installation is only moderate in quality, it has drastically improved over it's previous installments.

I'm not flaming you, nor am I nay-saying your message, I agree with you on some points, however your statement was too broad. And you're right, there could be a subscription setup in the future and that's when I'll stop using steam. However even the existing payment structure is possible to utilize for pay-to-play games (like MMORPGs) just none have joined the Steam distribution circuit. You also have to realize that Valve actually has a distribution fee over Steam, they keep X amount of sales from third party developers, also the Source engine has licensing fees, and there's more and more things that I can list that Valve has done financially to allow it to afford the massive amounts of bandwidth that Steam actually takes up. They even have servers donated to them.

Valve itself, using Steam has become one of the top internet "publishers" out there (in a sense). I will state, again, that Steam's concept is a good one, it's initial release was horrible and buggy, but it's consistent ability to be updated and update it's contents without user interference is a godsend that most people don't realize.

Working in the IT field (and many around may agree with me) you hear "I wish I could go back to the old way, it was so much better." constantly. However, when you DO switch it back to "the old way", they realize why it was changed in the first place.

Also, another downside to WON is Valve didn't manage the WON servers, if WON was down no one played online. Valve manages the Steam servers. And even has redundant systems in case a server goes down your Steam will automatically connect to a different content server. And we all remember the WON down-times. Or at least we should.

"The way it was" isn't always the best way. I don't miss the fileplanet lines, and I don't miss the WON down times.

And in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with being ambitious, also, to support those servers valve keeps up, they need a constant inflow of money, advertising allows for this WITHOUT feeing the users, keeping up servers is expensive. So even though there may be ads in the game (and even if they bother me). I will continue to play, because this is the price I pay to play the games for free online. Once it's pay to play, I'm gone.

There's so much more that can be said, but it's 4:00 AM, I'm tired, and I know I'm gonna get woken up in like 4 hours when I don't want to be.

Comment

Why not put adware in a bad game like cs:s. I think ads in cs with mess something up, but im sure someone out there against this fully will develop an add-on to block the shit. or use outpost firewall

Comment

Everyone sign the petition if you don't agree with this: http://www.petitiononline.com/pop4519/petition.html

This is an outrage, we have paid for this game already, Valve have got their money, forcing us to accept the game as a piece of adware is unacceptable. EA at least have an excuse, they have global stats to run and maintain, as well as the fact that EA just generally suck to begin with. Not to mention everyone knew (or at least should have known) that BF2142 was going to have ad's in it. Nobody ever said anything to us about the possibility of ad's being put in counter-strike when we bought it! This would only be acceptable if the game was free, but it isn't. This is a real slap in the face for us server admins who pay for our servers out of our own pocket, Valve have NOTHING to do with the running of our servers we all play on, yet they get money from it? pffft!

Sign the petition everyone! URL at top of this message

Comment

Working...
                                X