This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interview: advertisements coming to cs

In-game advertisements are coming to Counter-Strike 1.6. Go ahead and let that sink in a bit. CS-Nation has the exclusive first interview with Valve's Doug Lombardi about this upcoming addition into the Counter-Strike world.
    CS-Nation: Many gamers who play CS 1.6 purchased the retail version. CS: Source was sold as part of the Half-Life 2 package. How do you think gamers who purchase your products will react to in-game ads?

Doug Lombardi: We believe that gamers are going to expect and accept well-done advertising in games. We want to make sure that advertising does not detract from the game experience, so it is our hope that first time Counter-Strike purchasers will consider it simply as part of the game world.
    There are three information packed pages to this interview. Go ahead and give it a gander and voice your opinions in the comment section.

Edited by [user="36868"] @ [time="1165559477"]

who didn't see this coming? ever since BF2142 came bundled with all that garbage, it was really just a matter of time for all other games...

brings a tear to my eye. ok maybe it doesn't, but this is just lammmeeeeee IMHO.

EDIT: i was thinking:

servers are probably going to put on add ons to block them.

negative feedback from the community.

adds coming to cs:s soon after and even other non-valve published games

Comment

this sucks balls. i was hoping it was an april fools joke

Comment

Edited by [user="381418"] @ [time="1165554740"]

It doesn't bother me, in fact it's kind of cool seeing ads, gives something fresh. They're about as annoying to me as a magazine ad, which isn't that annoying.

Also remember this is only for 1.6. It's not like any of these ads will be animated, right? Maybe they'll find a way. Hopefully not.

Comment

Really makes no differences, honestly. I mean, it's like logging into a non-nationalist csnation. Ads? what ads?

Comment

Edited by [user="246117"] @ [time="1165556505"]

lol fucking whores

(Question un-answered)

also lol

Comment

Great interview Zips, unanswered questions speak volumes.

That said I'd actually prefer things like the soda machines in Source were real brands. Fake ones break the "fourth wall" and send players hurtling back from uber CT soldier fantasy to a sad pool of tears and cheetos on my parents basement floor :'(
              and one (ad) in the letterboxed area of Spectator mode.
              "Dead? It's Miller time!"
              we’re working on some changes to the weapons in CS: Source (pistols, specifically)
              *rubs his deagle and looks suspicious*

Comment

Edited by [user="158393"] @ [time="1165561211"]

W2. That's all there is to be said at this low, low point.

Comment

Ads are not a problem. Thinking about extending dwp to 1.6 is.

Comment

Extend dwp to 1.6?

Blatantly retarded.

How about fix the fucking bugs we need to be fixed, we have waited years for fixes and we get shit on with money grabbing bullshit?

Comment

Personally, real-world style advertisements wouldn't bother me that much, if, AND ONLY if they fit the in-game scenario, if they could apply themselves to the themes of maps, etc.

Example: Dust2 some old dusty bill-board off to the side somewhere or knocked over or partially destroyed.

While some advertisers might not like this idea for the feeling it could slander and endanger their name, in the eyes of gamers it could form more respect because hey, they paid the money to get it there, and they allowed to to "fit". If I see a bright ass "PEPSI" logo right when I spawn I'm gonna be pissed.

And like it was said before: actual brand-name soda machines and what not would be great.

BTW, A better fitting one to the dead-spectator setup.

"Not going anywhere for a while...?"

Comment

Hopefully they make ads destroy-able.... hate that ad? Shoot it down!

Comment

so, you just add the adservers to your hosts file and point it to 127.0.0.1, just like any other adserver... Valve can suck it. Buncha morons.

Comment

hahahahahahhahahahhaha

not only do valve want to fuck css they want to fuck 1.6 aswell AHAHAHAHAHAAHAH bad luck 1.6ers

Comment

"CS-Nation: Does Valve have any plans to stop adding questionable content to CS:S, and start fixing the ridiculous amount of bugs that have been pointed out by the player population for quite some time?"

That would have been a good question to ask. It would have been left unanswered, of course, because that sounds better than "no".

Comment

Working...
                              X