This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

entRo wrote..

Personally, CS 1.6 is much more enjoyable to both play and watch. CS:S may have much nicer graphics, but that doesn't make the gameplay interesting. Yes, they're both CS, but 1.6 seems to take a lot more skill and precision. Watching a 1.6 match really shows who's good and who isn't, but in Source, it seems like bullets are just dissapearing into a void and alot of it is random luck.
    I honestly don't see this at all... I played 1.6 the other night for a couple hours with some friends on their match server and I had about the same ratio of kills in that game as I do in CS:S. It seemed just as easy if not easier for me to get frags in that game..

And I have been playing since before 1.3, did the whole cal thing etc., so don't give me a bunch of you don't play matches and don't undertand blah blah blah...

In fact I got sick of the match/scrim thing and have come full circle to the point where just playing public is more fun for me. CS:S is really not much different from HL1 CS anymore. Hardly at all really.

Also, as one of the posters mentioned before, its the CS:S players that buy new equipment all the time. The 1.6 players are unlikely buy any of that stuff. Bad move for both CPL and its sponsors...

Ah well, like I said before, I don't care about CPL stuff anymore. So I probably shouldn't be commenting. However, it seems the CPL is catering to one group of people and once those people finally do move into other team games, what will they do then?

Looks to me like the time is ripe for another large league to jump in here. A league that promotes the newer games.

Comment

Ignoring the "playing for prizes" aspect of things... it'd be interesting to see a site that ranked players / teams across a huge variety of games, more so than any league has been able to do thus far. That said, logistically it'd be a nightmare.

Comment

Unless they made their own league, in which every major team entered. Although... that's pretty much impossible.

Comment

Who needs the major teams? They can stick to their 1.6 and in the meantime we could see a bunch of new talent in other games. Look at a guy like fatility. That guy seems to be able to pick up any game and kick some butt. Now that is some "skills".

Comment

Yup, owns in UT2004 (in a 1v1 tournament of him vs 100 different people, killed over 1000 times, got killed once), owns in Quake 3, and owns in Painkiller. Probably more, but I haven't heard of it. Although they're all very, very quick-paced games (with no recoil and such); and he probably wouldn't kill everyone so comprehensively in games like CS.

But yeah, a massive site with rankings of every major game would be very good.

Comment

Salamandra wrote..

Yup, owns in UT2004 (in a 1v1 tournament of him vs 100 different people, killed over 1000 times, got killed once), owns in Quake 3, and owns in Painkiller. Probably more, but I haven't heard of it. Although they're all very, very quick-paced games (with no recoil and such); and he probably wouldn't kill everyone so comprehensively in games like CS.
              He played for 3D at a tournament awhile back and did quite well.

Comment

he never learned how to play in a team though, that's why he didn't make it and switched back to 1v1 (pk atm and soon probably q4). his aim was amazing though

Comment

Edited by [user="194222"] @ [time="1124400097"]

Of course 1.6 numbers are climbing... you get a free copy with HL2 and there are a lot of people out there that can barely run the game, let alone the multiplayer component.

People keep whining, "my shots don't register it's too hard" and then others are saying you can kill your opponents just breathing at them. The common thread? BOTH OF THOSE GUYS ARE CS:S NUBS.

When I switched to Source it was a couple weeks before I deleted 1.6 because I thought source sucked. Just like that first day you got owned in CS, you have to pick at it until you get the FEEL of the game. Then you start learning the finer points of the game. Source will, unfortunately, always suck to those impatient with their own abilities to adapt. You cannot be good at both games very easily, as they have a very different feel.

Besides the sheild wall, there is nothing in 1.6 that we cannot do as a team in Source. There are fewer teams in source because it is a new game. CS has like 10 years on it, so if there were as many source players as 1.6 players right now, it would be a marketing acheivement never accomplished before in the history of man.

We also cannot forget all the Chinese and Koreans that for some reason flock to this game like it's against the law not to play. The bulk of 1.6 players are asians running CS on computers that can't handle source.

CS:S is ready for competitive play. It's the players who aren't. Don't bother waiting for the CS Pros to join before investing time in Source... I know I'm not waiting for anyone from BF1942 or Wolfenstein. The sooner you get out there, form clans, join tourneys and promote the game yourselves, the sooner we will be able to sit back and relax with a cold beer and watch a Source CPL tourney.

*EDIT* I just fired up 1.6 to check it.

The mouse and player movement is clunkier. The crosshair is wicked big. With spam maps so prevalent, and after using the same 10 year old maps, everyone knows when and where to shoot to kill rushers at the beginning of rounds. Hax are much more prevalent. I was top of my team after about two maps (it was that long getting used to the clunkyness and chunky netcode). Grenades were hilariously slow. Source you get a much better picture of where the nade is going, and it moves faaaast. Once I readjusted to the weapons differences it was way easier to kill... except with sniper rifles. I was sucking bad with them.

Comment

Edited by [user="347572"] @ [time="1124409591"]

Splatula wrote..

*EDIT* I just fired up 1.6 to check it.

The mouse and player movement is clunkier. The crosshair is wicked big. With spam maps so prevalent, and after using the same 10 year old maps, everyone knows when and where to shoot to kill rushers at the beginning of rounds. Hax are much more prevalent. I was top of my team after about two maps (it was that long getting used to the clunkyness and chunky netcode). Grenades were hilariously slow. Source you get a much better picture of where the nade is going, and it moves faaaast. Once I readjusted to the weapons differences it was way easier to kill... except with sniper rifles. I was sucking bad with them.
                    LOL? Are you being serious?

First and foremost, the system I used for playing CS:S when I was still "enjoying" it was fairly high end... a64 3200+, 1gig RAM, x800pro etc was getting pretty decent FPS on the highest details so that wasnt an issue. It was more to do with the actual gameplay of source especially in wars. I upgrade pretty constantly and so do most of the other people I know that play 1.6 so having a good enough computer isnt really the issue. There are heaps of games I have played on the net, the only 2 games that I can honestly say that I can still enjoy after so many years of playing are: QWTF and CS 1.6. Every other game just annoys me if i fire it up again.

The source community from what I have seen in AUS is made up of people who are in a CS:S "phase" then when a newer game (because according to you guys, if its a new game it HAS to be good... just like when I remember some guy telling me why are you listening to this album for? its 2 years old man.. get with the times) comes out they will just jump ship and forget about CS:S. With the 1.6 community though, its stuck together from the very beginning and it will be around for a long time to come.

With the netcode etc, I find CS:S to be pretty bad when it comes to online play, the guns feel like I am not really shooting at anything and it just doesnt have the same feeling 1.6. Most of the time, no matter what rates I am using the models still stutter around the screen and it is no where near "smooth". From a server admins point of view, its easy to make a well working 1.6 server but it takes alot of config changing and effort to make a well working CS:S server.

The crosshairs are adjustable in 1.6 theres an option for that.... you only have to look at the options menu to change that option.

Comment

magey` wrote..

LOL? Are you being serious?

With the netcode etc, I find CS:S to be pretty bad when it comes to online play, the guns feel like I am not really shooting at anything and it just doesnt have the same feeling 1.6. Most of the time, no matter what rates I am using the models still stutter around the screen and it is no where near "smooth". From a server admins point of view, its easy to make a well working 1.6 server but it takes alot of config changing and effort to make a well working CS:S server.
                      Totally disagree with you on this whole paragraph. If your models are stuttering around the screen its because you are probably running cl_interp 0. On 33 tick servers 0.03 is good and on 66 tick 0.06 is good. Or just leave it at default. Also, cl_smooth should be at 1.Your problem is that you are messing with your config I bet. Leave everything at default and I bet you won't have these issues. As for not having the same "feeling" I don't agree.. I played 1.6 a few times recently just for the heck of it and the guns don't "feel" any better. If you play 1.6 all the time and then jump on a CS:S server, then of course the guns aren't going to feel right. Also, I run a CS:S server and everyone comments on how nice it is. Yes I did set it up with 66 tick, but I only had to try a couple rate settings before it ran just fine.

There just isn't anything to justify complaining about anymore... Game runs fine.

And the guy who said the 1.6 nades are too slow is right. I lol'd everytime I threw one. Looks like they have helium in them or something.

Comment

Edited by [user="6035"] @ [time="1124475011"]

|azure| wrote..

I honestly don't see this at all... I played 1.6 the other night for a couple hours with some friends on their match server and I had about the same ratio of kills in that game as I do in CS:S. It seemed just as easy if not easier for me to get frags in that game..
                        This is because these "1.6 requires more skill" people are full of it.. Offcourse CS 1.6 doesn't require more skill.. It's bassicly the same game as CS:S.. Same basic gameplay and objectives, same movement, same weapons, same aim & recoil on guns etc, same everything, except sligthly different maps, different graphics, sligthly different grenades, and physics on objects and dead playermodels.. Just because you can see better where your bullets land in 1.6 doesn't mean it requires more skill, LOL!!

I've always said that you'll get about the same score when you play the 'same' people in either CS 1.6 or CS:S.. Only difference between both is that CS 1.6 has relativly more experienced competitive and thus skilled players, that's the only thing you could argue is what maybe makes 1.6 require more skill..

But whatever, we'll see the 'requires more skill' argument forever probably used by people to justify their staying with CS 1.6.. The good old 'make yourself feel better/l33t' by saying the game you play requires more skill then others..
                        |azure| wrote..

Who needs the major teams? They can stick to their 1.6 and in the meantime we could see a bunch of new talent in other games. Look at a guy like fatility. That guy seems to be able to pick up any game and kick some butt. Now that is some "skills".
                        QFT..

Comment

Lets thank god it wasn't Counter-Strike: Source, and lets hope it will never be.

Comment

YEah, this is the SAME thing that happened when people switched from 1.4 to 1.6. There were 1.6 nubs that whined FOR YEARS, and some are STILL WHINING TO THIS DAY about the loss of 1.4 When I was in Grade 5 I had this wicked red Michael Jackson leather jacket. IT still keeps the rain and wind out, maybe I should dig that up. Since we should never move on to new things.

Hey guys, let's go hitch us some horses and go on down to CPL.

Comment

Working...
                            X