This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventrilo Update

Ventrilo, the popular third party voice communication software, has finally released a much needed update since December 23, 2003. This release brings Ventrilo (more information and list of features by clicking here) up to version 2.2.0. It should be noted that this is a mandatory release, both for client and server sides, and now limits the number of users that can connect to a server down to 8. For those who use this popular voice application, you are required to download this update.[break]Version 2.2.0 - Mandatory Server and Client update (2004-Mar-17)

New general features:

MOTD and remote editing of the message by server admin.

Paging a specific user. Includes options to prevent paging.

Server admin can now globally mute a specific user.

Cross channel communication.

Cross channel and all sub-channels communication.

Users-to-user (private) communication.

Advanced binding mode in client for configuring cross channel and U2U voice transmission.

Configurable defaults to Allow paging, U2U and recording modes. Unique to each server definition in the client. These states can be toggled dynamically from the popup menu via the user list window.

Remote editing of server and channel ban lists with user friendly GUI.

Remote editing of USR file entries with user friendly GUI.

Up to 4 simultaneous transmission destinations at the same time, and all with a single upload stream and download stream. Can be any combination of the current channel, cross channel, cross channel and sub-channel and U2U.

Channel features:

Filtering of WAV, TTS, Cross channel, U2U, Pageing.

Allows for controlling the recording of conversations. However, the client does not currently support recording. That should be in a client 2.2.1 update.

Restrict transmitting to just USR file entries.

Prevent anyone from generating sound events when in a specific channel. Very useful for auditions and you don't want the person performing to generate odd sounds when someone enters/leaves the channel.

Queued mode: Only one person in the channel can talk at any one time.

Muted mode: When someone enters the channel they are automatically muted. They can only transmit when a server/channel admin un-mutes them.

Transmit time limit for queued and muted channels.

Channel comments.

View channel settings without needing to be an admin.

Channel specific banning of IP addresses. Only available to root level channels and it's associated admin but applies to all of the sub-channels.

Server:

Public server: 8 slots max, one instance per machine and port 3784

Pro server: Same as previous versions but not available for public download.

If you want a detailed explanation on why the public version has been limited to 8 slots then please read this page. It explains it all.

Tweaked timer code to correct possible problem of server not responding to remote status requests after the server has been online for X number days.

Modified /rcon maxclients to display the current setting only. It will no longer change the maxclients value.

Removed "disablemaxclient" from INI file, since the "/rcon maxclients" no longer changes the value.

Public version no longer supports the interface [Intf] section of the INI file.

Public Windows server will now locate all available interfaces and attach to them. Should solve the problem with some home servers sometimes not being reachable if you didn't specify the interface manually. As far as I know this has never been a problem on the other platforms.

Turned on compiler optimizations to squeeze a little more performance out of the servers.

Changed the default value for the [Status] ReplyInterval variable. Made it 50ms instead of 500ms.

Corrected bug in %XX encoding of remote status characters. If they went above 0x7F they were sign extended and turned into 4 hex digits instead of 2. Oops.

Finally found and fixed the slow memory leak in the server.

Modified "protocol error" to say "Incompatible version". Should cut down the number of forum posts each time I break the data stream and compatibility.

An example USR file is no longer included with each distribution. No need since the client can edit it remotely.

Client:

Native support for Mouse 4 through 8 when using DirectInput mode. Getting 6/7/8 to work is between you and the manufacturer of your mouse, but the support is there if they will allow them to work.

Native support for game controller buttons. These can be bound to the PTT key or any of the advanced function binds in the binds editor. Requires DirectInput mode. Supports dynamic notification devices and old style joysticks that require manual polling.

Allows selection of a specific game controller.

Displays the MOTD message when connecting to the server. The message can be redisplayed via the popup menu options.

Page requests currently assume Text-to-speech sounds. A future version will allow more control over what/how this event is processed. So, make sure your TTS system is installed and working.

New "LETTER" indicators next to user names. G=Globally muted, N=Channel muted.

The Chat send button will now disable it self for a second after sending a message. Similar to what the Comment button does. Both changes are an attempt to prevent spamming, which can also be controlled at the server.

Modified the Chat window in an attempt to correct an obscure bug of sometimes not being able to see that list of users on right side who are currently in chat mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ventrilo.com/announce.php?220_changes

You all should read some of this mess, man. Crazy things doing down in Ventrilo land. :X

Or maybe I was bored and it was interesting. Who knows?

Comment

wooohoooo! finally mouse4+5 work!

You could trick them into working before, but this is still long-awaited.

Comment

wow, f**k ventrilo...

i dont wanna hve to pay all that $$

Comment

filth, in the end the client doesn't pay anything extra.

you either:

a) host privately and get 8 slots for free

b) use an old version and get 200 slots free at the cost of new features and bugfixes

c) buy from a legitimate buisness and get 200 slots

there have been legimitate hosts before this update, so you wont be seeing any rate hikes unless they decide to charge more than they should be in the first place

Comment

lol my company even does ventrilo sponsorship, infact most buisness's will do, due to the low cost

Comment

Hmm. I wonder how many 'unintended victims' there were, those who used large servers but in absolutely no way charged their users for them. I feel sorry for them. Maybe, with proof, they can get a license for a free 'pro' version. Hopefully so.

But as for people who are making money off of ventrillo's software and not paying them for it, screw you.

Comment

Limit it to 8 slots, just for a public server? I think that's kind of rediculous, especially knowing the fact that most people have ventrilo servers where there are FAR more than 8 people in it at a time.

Comment

Which was against the agreement. :/ gg pure-voice I <3 them

-dp-

Comment

Ventrilo isn't the only voice software around. My group uses it because it's probably the best, but limiting to 8 means a pretty serious hit for the end user.

Comment

Good game Ventrilo, you are weak. I'll stay to the old version, forget about upgrading. If they think they're going to a measly dime out of me, they're mistaken.

Comment

I recommend sticking with ventrilo 2.1 dudes.

Comment

Edited by [user="23346"] @ [time="1079662058"]

yea.. whose honestly going to upgrade. although i agree with their reasons for it, really going to cause most people to just never upgrade.. ever.

Comment

Our clan has our own free vent and we let friends use it for their enemy territory and MMORPG stuff, it's an older version and it's free, are we still fine or do we have to just limit it to 8 people(what would amount to only our clan)?

Comment

Edited by [user="152360"] @ [time="1079675299"]

The idea here is that you're only paying if you're using Ventrillo to make money.

Read that sentence five times. The end user does not have to pay. If you offer it to your clan for free, you don't have to pay. If you offer it to others for free, you don't have to pay. But the instant you start charging people to use your Ventrilo server, then you have to pay a very small fee to Ventrilo anyway, much, much less than you'd be getting from your customers anyway.

Another point is that the common user-created server (remember, this is a server that you did NOT pay for, this is one that you are making ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER) cannot really have more than 8 people connected anyway. On a cable/dsl connection, they said that more than 8 people can't really be connected with any stability, and this is brought out even more when the host server computer is also playing a game as well.

I for one read that entire page about why the 8 user limitation and why they had to do it. And I agree with them. Anyone who doesn't agree with them should at least give them the courtesy of hearing what they have to say on the subject. This is only part of it, but probably the one you should most read:
                              The following are some of the proposed changes we tossed around when trying to decide how to limit the public version of the server.

1. Not releasing a public version at all and force people to rent servers. Actually, it didn't take long for us to reject this as an option because this would prevent people from evaluating the system. Plus, as I already stated, we wanted home / private users to continue having the ability to run their private servers for friends and family to use.

2. Slots limited to 6. While this would have been more then sufficient for the average user, we decided to limit it to 8 slots instead. This way most home users could figure out the hard way that their Cable/DSL modems can't handle 8 people on the server and be able to play online computer games at the same time.

3. Slots limited to 10 (or 12). We rejected this because a hosting company could potentially take advantage of this and give a 10 man ventrilo server on each of his machines to at least one paying customer.

4. Missing features. We toyed around with the idea of limiting features in the public version as well. Like not allowing the new cross channel and user-to-user communications, no paging, no Muted/Queued channels, etc. In the end this idea was rejected because we wanted the public version to be feature complete for evaluation purposes. It was also decided that the 8 slot limit would accomplish more to bring an end to the illegal hosting, and crippling the features would have accomplished nothing.
                              It all boils down to the fact that with 75% of all businesses selling Ventrilo servers not paying the tiny license fee, they had to do something, and this was what they chose to do.

These guys don't just write software to give it away for free, you know. I think it's quite fair and honest for them to allow anyone to use it for free. However, as soon as you or any business starts offering Ventrilo servers for payment...

Imagine you owned a really good tractor, or car, or whatever. And somebody wants to borrow it, so you say "Sure". Then, next thing you know, this guy is making hundreds of dollars by renting out your tractor or whatever to other people. So you say, "give me ten cents for every person you rent the tractor to." Considering that he's making hundreds of dollars anyway, was this really a big deal?

75% of the companies were saying "Yes" to that question, and refusing to pay the ten cents. So Ventrilo is basically taking their tractor back.

Comment

Working...
                              X