This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPL Changes Format

The Cyberathlete Professional League announced a change of format for the upcoming $100,000 Pentium 4 Processor Winter 2003 Championship taking place at the Hyatt Hotel in Dallas, Texas from December 16, 2003 to December 20, 2003. The tournament format is now full double-elimination. The league has changed the Tournament Rules and and has released a new Tournament Schedule. More information on the Winter 2003 Event is located at their winter event page.

The CPL also announced information on the 2004 events. These events will be hosted at a new hotel, The Gaylord Opryland. This new location features many things the old one doesn't, like family oriented activities. For more information on this press release, go here. Registration for the Summer 2004 event opens November 3rd. You can currently sign up for the Winter 2003 event, and you can do so until October 31st.

...interesting

Comment

full double elimination seems fair i guess. if you get paired up against a high skilled clan you at least have a chance to come back as opposed to getting knocked out so early. Counter-Strike can be random at times i guess this is a way to smooth that out.

Comment

Yep, I like the idea.

Comment

Has anyone else been recieving emails saying that they aren't authorized to email Angel? Weird, because I never attempted to.

"Computers will be provided by Intel for tournament servers and clients. All tournament computers will be identical in hardware and default peripherals, and have ample processing power and 3D video acceleration. Players may not use their own computers in the tournament and may not use the tournament computers to practice."

Sounds kind of lame.

Comment

Why is it lame? It makes sure players don't cheat (heh) and gets rid of the hardware randomness element of it. I'm sure a lot of people don't get constant 100 fps and the CPL computers would be a welcome change.

Comment

Covering news fully is good.

Comment

ugh, now instead of driving 30 min from my house to the hyatt regency for the CPL, ill have to drive 45 min to grapevine! ARGHHH!!!! (plus the opreyland has all those people who like country music, ewww)

Comment

Naming a place "Gaylord" is just asking for possibly hundreds of thousands of us supposedly "immature" teenagers to make comments, ie.

lmao Gaylord, theyr all gay! ahahahah

gotfriedrice: being able to compete in the CPL would make my day, not to mention it would take me about 86 hours to drive there.

Comment

Yea that sucks that they can't even practice on the computers before play. I mean, some guy will get lucky and have a similar set up and he will probably be better than most.

Comment

Family Oriented Activies at the Gaylord Hotel..Let's play "Who dropped the soap?"

Comment

ok?

appended @ [time="1062547454"]

russianmobster wrote..

Yea that sucks that they can't even practice on the computers before play. I mean, some guy will get lucky and have a similar set up and he will probably be better than most.
                        Have you ever played in a LAN tourney?

No?

This is how it works:

Plug in keyboard, mouse, headphones.

Spend 15 minutes to test equipment and warm up.

Play.

Unplug.

It's not some huge jarring change when you still have the same controls you're used to. You setup whatever resolution that you want, so that's the same too. Hell, I played CS and UT2K3 at this tournament (MML2, with special tourney pc's) and there was one computer I got put on for UT that had all the effects on "Low" and was in 640x480. These had Radeon 9800 Pro cards in them. It's far, far less unsettling to be playing on a different computer from yours when you still use your own mouse and keyboard.

Comment

The Gaylord Opryland, what a nice name for a hotel

Comment

Uh lockhart, such practicing is not allowed at this cpl event. That's why I pointed it out.

Unless they have practice computers which they do not mention.

Comment

They let you get everything set up first - like what lockhart mentioned. You are thinking of a scrim, which teams don't do with those computers.

Comment

Working...
                              X