This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Games On

The Houston Press has written a lengthy feature article about LAN gaming and the CPL. Although it's quite cynically written--in a tone that obviously mocks more than praises--the nine page article entitled Game On does a good job of giving us a story that not even esports sites tell. More than just covering the LAN scene in general, the article captures the journey of the newly-reformed team Forsaken at a LAN tourney. Here is a tidbit taken completely out of context:
    There's 15 or 20 minutes of warm-up time. For Forsaken to take the whole game -- and the whole tournament -- they have to win just one match. Because ExS is in second place, they must win two. Each match consists of 25 rounds, so the first team to win 13 rounds immediately takes the match.

As soon as the CPL administrator cuts the lights, the boys' goofball natures disappear. They're in game mode, their eyes set on the screens and their faces stoic.

"We're live," says Welch.

Immediately, Forsaken starts getting its ass kicked.
    It's a good read, that's for sure. I wish the female author didn't try so hard for the politically correct anti-teenager element, however. Boys will be boys. Thanks to Roger for the news submission.

Edited by [user="29080"] @ [time="1059167527"]

"It's shocking to see the type of person who comes to the events," says Munoz, an investment banker who specializes in high-tech companies. "They're well-adjusted men with good communication skills from stable families. It's not what you would expect."

Sadly his opinion only applied to the more normal of people who attend these lans. The others are asshats similiar to me who like to post as if I had a life. I'd say I'm normal, as I don't dare 'leetspeak' in real life. However I'd be quite the hyprocrit if I said these people have no lives

Comment

Yeah, tell me about it.

Comment

one three three seven

Comment

i love when the reporter person said something to the tune of "once in a while a picture of a gun will pop up at the bottom of the screen simulating an actual weapon in the cyberspace invironment that is Counter-Strike!" haha great read.

Comment

it would've been nicer if she didn't write to make these guys look bad.

Comment

its the press... its always the press... =)

Comment

It didn't seem bad to me, just a non-gamer reporter telling the truth as she see's it.

appended @ [time="1059172234"]

She said they were handsome and not nerds, blame them for constantly saying "fag" and "gay" and acting like children.

Comment

She put an insane politically correct spin on it which was unmerited. She treats the word "fag" as if it were "nigger," and--although some people see it that way--the comparison simply doesn't ring true when you look at mainstream use of the words.

Also I would like to thank Ghengis for replying to me in advance.

appended @ [time="1059174660"]

Haha, I can't believe how I missed how the author confused smoke grenade with smoking a cigarette. Good for a lollin!

Comment

Well, it was a decent article, and PC spin... well, she's not one who's into the "gamer's culture" like us. She's telling it from a outsider's perspective.

Comment

Don't like the article, its too OTT. Definately taking the piss.

Comment

rizzuh wrote..

Haha, I can't believe how I missed how the author confused smoke grenade with smoking a cigarette.
                        good spot riz. i'm just not that observant. not a bad article i'd say, ive seen much more condescending ones.

Comment

Edited by [user="4746"] @ [time="1059177669"]

shit article, sounded like she was tryin to imitate that english guy that followed michael jackson around. and she didn't use quotation marks in the correct places:

["We're going to CPL, baby!" announces Brandon, jumping up from his seat. The Forsaken guys cheer -- but not too much, of course, because that would seem gay.]

gay should be "gay", because otherwise it implies that she is calling it gay and not the kid

and to prove im right, here is another part of the same article:

[And although none of them seems truly homophobic, they are eager to prove their heterosexuality by labeling anything or anyone strange as "gay" or "a fag."]

AND TO PROVE IM RIGHT AGAIN, heres a part of the webster website:

[Use quotation marks [ " " ] to set off material that represents quoted or spoken language]

taken from:

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/quotation.htm

AND SHE MAKES THE S4M3 STUP1D MIST4KES THROUGH THE WHOLE ARTICLE, IMMA GAMER AND I KNOW MORE SH1T ABOUT HER OWN FCKIN JOB DEN HER

BOOYAH GRANDMA, PWNAGEA@!W!@#!

but seriously, i'm tired of these cookie-cutter articles, i think the media should learn to stop copying itself. example:

i saw this azn reporter on the news and he sounded WHITE

i saw this black reporter on the news and he sounded WHITE

if u don't know what im talkin about turn on the tv and wait for a reporter "out in the field" to start talkin. he'll have this lame "rich white dude" accent that he's probably been workin on since he went into journalism

Comment

I think rizzuh's observation just eliminated any integrity this "journalist" had.

Comment

I didn't notice that either hehe.

Local Area network!

Comment

Working...
                              X