Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not the fact they didn't want him to help, but that they just plain ignored him when he brought up a way the HL could be hacked, and the way to fix it. They only did something about it after he released the cheat.

Comment

Nice one, Doc.

Comment

Uhh Doc you don't really back up your accusation of ignorance with anything relevant... Vasily says that we shouldn't care about him creating an easy way for cheats to be made, because there are starving kids everywhere that we should care about. Then why does he care about making the thing? Maybe it's just a hobby, but so is playing games. Rather than doing something which is OBVIOUSLY going to ruin the game for people, why isn't he spending his time uhh helping starving kids. Yes, it sounds stupid. He used the argument the same exact way.

He definitely used starving, dying kids as leverage in his weak argument. It seems like a lot of people who do things like this use that age-old argument.... "people are DYING in AFRICA.. why do you care about a game?" I'll be blunt. I do not care about starving kids in Africa. You only have so much time in your life, so you might as well enjoy it. I'm not going to bring myself down by worrying about people that I probably can't help anyway, without great personal expense. It's a flawed argument that plays on your emotions.

Comment

Edited by [user="2579"] @ [time="1014187109"]

On one hand, if what Vasily says is true, Valve has been pretty damned irresponsible in not listening to this guy and I think that bears some notice for a company supposedly interested in working against cheating.

On the other hand, I disagree with his POV on creating cheats. Whatever his intentions, he knew full well that what he released to the world was the basis for some vicious cheats. You can't just say that the people using the cheats are the bad guys and Vasily isn't responsible for their choices. I'd say that if he released his code knowing that one of its possible (and likely) uses was for naught, then alot of responsibility falls on his shoulders.

By the way rizzuh,
          I don't see Vasily making forums about dying children in the middle east.
          While I agree with you that this guy speaks out yet focuses his energies elsewhere, I'm not so sure that everyone who points out injustice is therefore obligated to direct their energies against said injustice. I'd say that Vasily's point in all of that was to underscore that in the grand sceme of things, cheating on computer games isn't really that important. While this should neither exaunerate (sp) nor provide ample excuse for his creation of cheats I don't think this very poor rationalization of Vasily's merits his condemnation. You can find more than enough other material in this interview to do that.

But, rizzuh, you are right that if it's so unimportant it seems odd that he'd spend time working to create the cheats...oh well, in terms of leisure time, to each his own, I guess.

Comment

cheetarah654 wrote..
            i dont know why he would want to invent cheats just because it was hard and then give it out to a limited selection of poeple so they could use it for anti cheats. if he didnt create them there wouldnt be anything to worry about. im not saying he is the only one who created cheats but so far its seemed to cause more of a problem then a solution

and the reason vavle probably didnt respond was because once he brought it up to them they were able to fix it without worrying about paying him
            Obviosuly this isnt true since his cheats worked on the goddamn patch without any modifications you oh god smart one

Comment

i never said his cheats didnt work

Comment

i never said his cheats didnt work
                No you didnt... but you did say
                and the reason vavle probably didnt respond was because once he brought it up to them they were able to fix it without worrying about paying him
                which implys that they(valve) was able to fix it which, if the cheats still work, isnt the case at all is it?

Comment

sorry, what i meant was they had a better idea of what to work on, even if they werent able to stop it

Comment

Luftwaffle, you really look at it negatively. It is our and our European brother's fault that their are children starving in Africa. It should be our retribution, compassion, and duty as people who call themselves virtuous to help out. Africa does not have to be starving but because of the super-economies and the remnants of imperialism they are. You have a negative attitude toward it. Sure you can help them all, but if everyone could give up some spare change or money, it would help alot. If you look at the waste of americans- excessive use of resources, over serving of food resulting in people throwing it away, etc. You can see the wastefulness of the first world who walks all over the 2nd and 3rd world.

Vasily's arguement is bad, even though we should be caring about it and helping out in what ways we can, is that sending money, toys,food etc. is not time consuming to the average american so we do have down time to pleasure ourselves by reading books, playing games, watching movies, andt importantly spending time with the opposite sex. But saying why worry about something when you can worry about something else is stupid. Should we stop caring about theft because their are worse things? Wrongness is a matter of principle not degree.

Comment

Working...
                    X