Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dbrand Warns New Switch Users Not to Use Stickers, Skins, or Vinyls on Their New Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbrand Warns New Switch Users Not to Use Stickers, Skins, or Vinyls on Their New Console

dbrand, the company behind a number of vinyl wraps and skins for devices such as phones, laptops, and even consoles, have went a bit above and beyond this weekend. dbrand has actually told users not to apply any stickers or skins to their Nintendo Switch consoles. They have even gone so far as to refund everybody that has pre-ordered their Switch skins that were on sale prior to this weekend's notice.

While working on the prototypes for their Switch dbrand skins, the company found out that the materials used on the Joycons, the console, and the dock will be destroyed if you ever decide to remove the skin. The company revealed this issue both on their Twitter account and in a lengthy write-up on Reddit. A look at what can happen to your Joycons can be seen above, while another image showing what can happen to your dock can be seen below.
    Simply put, the coating which exists on the JoyCons (and the console – more on that later) is either cured or designed in a way which doesn’t play well with adhesive.(...)

If you look at the back of the Switch, you’ll see that the Nintendo Switch logo and regulatory markings are all screen-printed in a light gray. This screen-printing (or pad-printing) process is also cured in a way which peels off with the adhesive on vinyl wraps.(...)

As you can guess, we purchased a retail unit (ten, in fact… just to make sure it wasn’t an isolated issue) and both the JoyCons and the Console are not compatible with vinyl wraps or any adhesive-backed skin of any kind.

You may be sitting there thinking, "oh, I'll be find if I never remove the wrap!" Do you really want to chance it on a new $300 piece of hardware? It's probably a safe bet to just keep your Switch in its birthday clothes.

I never really took notice of dbrand outside of their constant mention on MKBHD videos, but this was a real solid move on their part to warn users of this issue. Props to them for doing the right thing.
Working...
X