There's Going to be a Tetris Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Going to be a Tetris Movie

I will repeat that headline for you as I'm sure you didn't believe it the first time: There is going to be a Tetris movie. The Wall Street Journal reports that the Tetris Company is teaming up with Threshold Entertainment to create a live-action film (really?) based off of the classic game.

This is going to be a movie. This. Right here. This game.
    “It’s a very big, epic sci-fi movie,” Threshold’s CEO Larry Kasanoff tells Speakeasy exclusively. “This isn’t a movie with a bunch of lines running around the page. We’re not giving feet to the geometric shapes.”

Kasanoff is based known for bringing the original Mortal Kombat franchise to the big screen.
    “Brands are the new stars of Hollywood,” he says. “We have a story behind ‘Tetris’ which makes it a much more imaginative thing.”

If the film does well, Kasanoff isn’t looking to limit the “Tetris” world to just a big-screen experience. “We certainly have the canvas for location-based entertainment based on the epicness.”

The last game to be adopted into a film was, what, Battleship? That movie was terrible but at least it had something that could be made into a film. With Tetris, you literally just have falling shapes clearing out rows of other shapes. That is literally it.

I had to actually check the date that the WSJ posted this to make sure I wasn't looking at an old April Fool's joke. I wasn't. This is real. I just cannot even wrap my mind around this.
Working...
X