Valve Releases Details on Steam Machine Prototype Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Releases Details on Steam Machine Prototype Hardware

If you're one of the lucky 300 who will get to test drive the Steam Machine prototypes, Valve has just revealed what hardware you should expect to see.
    So for our own first prototype Steam Machine ( the one we're shipping to 300 Steam users ), we've chosen to build something special. The prototype machine is a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts. It is also fully upgradable, allowing any user to swap out the GPU, hard drive, CPU, even the motherboard if you really want to. Apart from the custom enclosure, anyone can go and build exactly the same machine by shopping for components and assembling it themselves. And we expect that at least a few people will do just that. (We'll also share the source CAD files for our enclosure, in case people want to replicate it as well.)

And to be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users. It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase - those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package. Many others would opt for machines that have been more carefully designed to cost less, or to be tiny, or super quiet, and there will be Steam Machines that fit those descriptions.

Here are the specifications for Valve's 300 prototypes.

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
    GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
    CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
    RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
    Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
    Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
    Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

Furthermore, Valve says that as the Steam ecosystem changes over time, so will any upgrades. Upgrades can be made at a user's discretion further down the line. Though the hardware is "finalized" for these prototypes, they aren't yet ready to show a picture of a completed device simply because they aren't yet completed and put together just yet.
Working...
X